EVENT AIRFest 26 (2020)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gizmo was funny, Daddy ugly was scary. I think it was at Airfest 21 when that rocket went “cruise Missle” back at the flight line, landing just North of the rocket pasture and starting a fire.

Yep, Airfest 21 :)

So for AirFest I plan on flying my L3 and the weirdo rocket in my avatar (among several other thingies).

In case anyone cares.
That sounds great, Dave. We're looking forward to bringing folks together again for ROCKETS!!!

We're working on adjustments on our end to comply with recommended social distancing and masking guidelines. More on that coming real soon.

--Lance.

That sounds great, Dave. We're looking forward to bringing folks together again for ROCKETS!!!

We're working on adjustments on our end to comply with recommended social distancing and masking guidelines. More on that coming real soon.

--Lance.

I just won't shower. My stink from sweating my a$$ off in that field will keep people >6' away.

I'm kidding. I'll shower. At least once.

I plan to attend and this will be my first large event. I want to fly one of my HPR airframes, what should I expect in terms of procedures?

something like
1. park
2. check-in with LCO
3. check-in with RSO

what does walk-out look like? Do you get a launch card and then they call your name to head to a pad? I'm just not sure what to expect and I need to get my checklists in line.

register/pick up your name tag at registration
bring L and smaller motor rockets to RSO with your flight card (easier to pick some up in advance and fill them out at your site) when ready to fly, All electronics have to be OFF
go stand in line at the sign with your motor size and wait to go to the flight line

if have a M or larger, RSO is at the away cell

Their launch site is really well marked, with plenty of signs to direct you to where to go.

When parking, just make sure you're not in one of the fire lanes (they're marked) or other places marked as no parking.

Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to socialize (from a safe distance) as it's a great opportunity to meet a bunch of awesome people. Check out the vendors, too!

I plan to attend and this will be my first large event. I want to fly one of my HPR airframes, what should I expect in terms of procedures?

something like
1. park
2. check-in with LCO
3. check-in with RSO

what does walk-out look like? Do you get a launch card and then they call your name to head to a pad? I'm just not sure what to expect and I need to get my checklists in line.
To fly it's mostly done like smaller launches. You prep your for flight. Fill out a flight card. Take you and your rocket up to RSO table to be checked out for safety and flight ready. Next get in line to get a pad number. Sometimes you get to go right out to the pads and sometimes there is a short wait. A little wait isn't a bad thing it gives you a chance to see how the other flight go. Make sure you have fun and be safe.

I’ve noticed that the Cobblestone Inn in Anthony may be closed. Does anyone know if they plan to open before AirFest?
The Cobblestone room availability is being worked. The COVID had been very hard on these small businesses. My first exposure to any concern was last night..I will be in conversation with management on Monday for more clarification and I'll update as soon as I get the info.

--Lance.

The Cobblestone room availability is being worked. The COVID had been very hard on these small businesses. My first exposure to any concern was last night..I will be in conversation with management on Monday for more clarification and I'll update as soon as I get the info.

Oof. I hope it's open for AirFest - that's where my reservation is!

-Kevin

Still working out the changes to the past routines on check in, range and RSO procedures, and campsite setbacks. Would help if everyone planing to come this year would register sooner then later.
There will be social distance set backs on everything this year so most things will be spread out everywhere. I would guess Lance and Bob will probably post around August 12 on what the changes will be this year; at least any that might effect on what you would want to bring with you this year. System should make good sense for everyone while meeting expected CV requirements.
I’m currently making 70 additional signs that hopefully many will not have to be used again.

Wayne

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that the Cobblestone Inn in Anthony may be closed. Does anyone know if they plan to open before AirFest?

I called last night. I had reservations for Anthony, and they informed me that Anthony was closed and Harper was open. This was opposite of the last time I called... Net result was I able to make reservations at Harper.

im thinking about making the drive as an observer. We will probably stay in wichita area or even Winfield. What all vendors are expected? What can i expect as a observer? I would like to meet some of you guys and ask questions,get tips..etc. i understand social distancing and will respect the rules (no matter how i feel about them).

im thinking about making the drive as an observer. We will probably stay in wichita area or even Winfield. What all vendors are expected? What can i expect as a observer? I would like to meet some of you guys and ask questions,get tips..etc. i understand social distancing and will respect the rules (no matter how i feel about them).

Here is a list of vendors. You will not find a better opportunity to buy just about anything you need for any rocket project you can imagine and save a bunch of $$ on shipping. At LDRS last year I bought a 5' long fiberglass 38mm tube and I cannot even imagine how much that would have cost to ship.

Expect a laid back atmosphere where if you see an interesting project just about anyone will be willing to talk about it. Bring water, sunscreen, a chair, good footwear and your own shade - whatever that means for you. And plan on using all of those items extensively. There's no shade and it'll almost certainly be hot so come prepared.

And bring something to fly daggumit.

Just got off the phone with a very nice lady at the Cobblestone in Harper and changed my reservation. Very strange time we are living in....

I don't suppose you happened to change mine for me, at the same time? No? I guess it's time to make a call....

Back