EVENT AIRFest 26 (2020)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait. You're coming?!

Lance? Is it too late to cancel my registration....? ;)

Those attending, be sure to sign up for range duty - it's a great way to meet people! The best job, for meeting new folks, is pad manager.

-Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Folks, range duty--especially as co-LCO with Kevin at your side--is an experience not to be matched nor forgotten. (Take that any way you like.) 😉

Best -- Terry

Heheh there will be a caveduckie though...I might even be armed with a Punisher 4.

That’s better than any little rubber duckie. Now you just need to dig up an AT 1040 DM and join in the fun!

Woke up this morning early, thinking about my 4” Punisher. I’ve been trying for a couple of years to come up with a name and may have found one finally. How about Dragginit or Dragonit? It’s first flight was a drag race, and it’s been in a few since then...

Folks, range duty--especially as co-LCO with Kevin at your side--is an experience not to be matched nor forgotten. (Take that any way you like.) 😉

Interesting times, that's for sure!

And nothing like standing up on the LCO stand and discussing Avogadro's number, eh, Terry?

-Kevin

Interesting times, that's for sure!

And nothing like standing up on the LCO stand and discussing Avogadro's number, eh, Terry?

-Kevin
The one incident I remember was a rocket made of PVC pipe that arrowed in just behind us. Went right through one of those plastic folding tables, I think. I coulda s**t thru a screen door without hitting the wire. :eek:

Best -- Terry

The one incident I remember was a rocket made of PVC pipe that arrowed in just behind us. Went right through one of those plastic folding tables, I think. I coulda s**t thru a screen door without hitting the wire. :eek:

Oof. I had repressed that memory! That one was nightmare fuel, that's for sure! Jean, Nevada.

I remember a two-stager that arced over and staged on the ground in Texas.

-Kevin

What, no one remembers the flying 1515 launch rail that made its way over the away RSO tent?

AIRFest 26 is still on the schedule as planned. Pre-Registration is percolating along nicely; about 50 (!) folks registered in the first 4 days.

A note on cancellations/refunds
KLOUDBusters has always had a very forgiving refund policy. If you pre-register and something comes up please tell us via e-mail before AIRFest starts on September 4, 2020. That is, don't just be a no-show.

If you cancel prior to the pre-registration cut-off (17-Aug-2020) you will get a full refund for flyer fees and t-shirts. If you cancel after that date, I will keep $5 for shipping, send your t-shirts, and refund the rest. This is because we order t-shirts the very next day and we are committed.

The important point is that you have to tell me about any change in plans before the launch starts.

If you think you might have something come up that will prevent coming, waiting until near end of the pre-registration period is cool (we don't mind).

I havent been to an Airfest yet, planning on going next year. So, I should bring extra underwear?

KLOUDBusters run a very safe launch. As there is at any launch, there's some risk. But they know what they're doing and do everything in their power to keep it as safe as possible.

Terry and I worked LCO together at LDRS and three different launch sites, in three different states, as I recall. Those are what we were discussing. :)

-Kevin

I havent been to an Airfest yet, planning on going next year. So, I should bring extra underwear?
KLOUDBusters run a very safe launch. As there is at any launch, there's some risk. But they know what they're doing and do everything in their power to keep it as safe as possible.

Terry and I worked LCO together at LDRS and three different launch sites, in three different states, as I recall. Those are what we were discussing. :)

-Kevin
I didnt mean anything negative. Its just with High Power, you have to be ready for anything. :eek: I remember an entire launch pad at Midwest Power take to the skies.......

I didnt mean anything negative. Its just with High Power, you have to be ready for anything. :eek: I remember an entire launch pad at Midwest Power take to the skies.......
Airfest can get interesting. A couple years back at the away pads a rocket careened north over the away RSO tent with rail in tow. High heart rate event, but what can you do; I just watched it pass overhead. Totally random event and no way to predict something like that.

Airfest can get interesting. A couple years back at the away pads a rocket careened north over the away RSO tent with rail in tow. High heart rate event, but what can you do; I just watched it pass overhead. Totally random event and no way to predict something like that.
Not sure if it's the same "rail rocket" but this was at Airfest 23 in 2017

Attachments

• rail ride.jpg
    rail ride.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 55
RSO issue, thrust to weight is too low
I suspect the motor‘s underwhelming performance contributed to the failure as well.
Thrust to weight is required to be a minimum of 3:1, but in most instances should really be at least 5:1. Unfortunately, the thrust to weight rule isn’t enough; this rocket was stable on liftoff but didn’t have enough impulse to gain a safe altitude. Chuffing added to the problem. Simulations predicting end of rail velocity and Apogee are more useful.

Chuffing added to the problem.
^^This^^

Did not come up to pressure, good portion of propellant spent idle on the pad, ISP goes down the drain. My guess is that Roy designed it right, but S!!T happens. Could have been as simple as igniter dislodging and smoldering at aft of motor wasting fuel before finally pressurizing.

Last edited:
The Gizmo was funny, Daddy ugly was scary. I think it was at Airfest 21 when that rocket went “cruise Missle” back at the flight line, landing just North of the rocket pasture and starting a fire.

Back