AirFest 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Registration is completed -- Looking forward to it. Really hated missing last year. AIRFEST Project is nearing completion

Thanks for the input. I have an official "hall pass" from my wife to go have some fun. She cannot do the Kansas heat so she is opting out. The main thing I want to do are long burn motors. I have always wanted to try an M650 or K375. I also truly have always wanted to see the wide open countryside. I hope I can get to see some stars without any light pollution. Trip is more about launching. I would like to sign up for RSO duty. Lastly, my only concern is my back. I hope I can fetch my rockets!

Say, can one see the milkyway at night out there?

Thanks

Took an M650 to over 18k feet in March at the rocket pasture, great place to fly...

Hello All! Here is some important AIRFest 27 content ...

Plan on flying your rockets at AIRFest 27 with TRACKERS. This is not the first time you will hear this mentioned in the next 45 days.

This past weekend was the first time we have been to the Rocket Pasture since March, so we just discovered that there will be crops in the fields immediately east and west of the Rocket Pasture for AIRFest 27. There hasn't been much planted there at AIRFest time in recent years, but important crop rotation for soil and weed management dictate the crop schedule. This means YOUR TRACKER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Registration for AIRFest 27 opened July 1, 2021 (many of you figured that out) and the list of flyers is growing daily.

Discount Pre-Registration will be available until 8/15/2021. Please pre-register it makes everyone's life better. ;-)

We're looking forward to AIRFest 27 happening September 3-6, 2021.

As a follow up to Lance's well written post above, let me break it down even clearer.
For the first time in a long, long, long time, there will be crops in the field that the 60's, 70's and 80's pads normally reside. That crop is milo which is like a corn than gets waist high. If you have ever tried to recover a rocket from this stuff it seems as though your feet are as good at finding your rocket as your eyes. Many times you end up tripping over your shock cord as you wander aimlessly in this stuff. If you are lucky to miss the milo, there are two quarter sections if land (that's 160 acres for you non-farming types) withing a mile of the range that has corn planted. Corn is like milo except it's much taller than you and your visibility is even more restricted!
Bottom line: This year would be a great year to invest in a rocket tracker, either RDF type or GPS. Secondly (and maybe most importantly) WRITE YOUR NAME AND PHONE NUMBER ON YOUR ROCKET! After losing your rocket because you decided you didn't need a tracker and then after hours of searching the crops unsuccessfully, you come to us asking if anyone has found (insert description here) rocket, the first question is going to be "Did you write your name on it?" If you answer no, our ability to get it back to you goes down dramatically.
Look, I get trackers are expensive. So is losing rockets! If you don't have one beg someone to loan you one! It will speed up your recovery and greatly increase your enjoyment of the launch. Walking around in milo or corn with no idea where your rocket is really sucks!

Last edited:
I hope that the milo isn't the same variety that was in the field north of the road several years ago. That stuff that left a sticky mess on everything that came in contact with it. Having waded through milo fields looking for rockets, I can say that I'd rather be enjoying the launch rather than spending hours looking for a rocket in the hot sun.

I hope that the milo isn't the same variety that was in the field north of the road several years ago. That stuff that left a sticky mess on everything that came in contact with it. Having waded through milo fields looking for rockets, I can say that I'd rather be enjoying the launch rather than spending hours looking for a rocket in the hot sun.

I'm sure they planted genetically modified, non-sticky milo just for us ;)

Glynn,

Your plant husbandry lesson for today ...

That tall stuff a few years ago was sudangrass which is used for silage. It's akin to milo (sort of) but there is no grain, just stalks used to feed livestock. The reason for the stickiness was due to infestation of Sugar Cane Aphids. Milo (grain sorghum) also gets the aphids, but it is more worthwhile (generally) to spray the crop for them. Also, milo is usually not nearly as tall as that sudangrass.

Aren't you glad you asked. ;-)

Nevertheless, bring your trackers and ID yourself on your rockets.

Glynn,

Your plant husbandry lesson for today ...

That tall stuff a few years ago was sudangrass which is used for silage. It's akin to milo (sort of) but there is no grain, just stalks used to feed livestock. The reason for the stickiness was due to infestation of Sugar Cane Aphids. Milo (grain sorghum) also gets the aphids, but it is more worthwhile (generally) to spray the crop for them. Also, milo is usually not nearly as tall as that sudangrass.

Aren't you glad you asked. ;-)

Nevertheless, bring your trackers and ID yourself on your rockets.

That stuff was pure evil. I could hear my altimeter beeping, but couldn't find the rocket until I tripped on the shock cord. That was after the tracker got me to within earshot. No hope what so ever without a tracker.

Your AIRFest 27 reminders ...
  • The deadline for High Altitude launch approvals is NOW. All flights above 23,000' require KLOUDBusters review 30 days in advance of launch. You can't wait any longer - please send the form to Bob TODAY. Form here: http://www.kloudbusters.org/documents/KBHiAltApp.doc
  • Pre-registration runs for LESS THAN two more weeks. Get a discount, a t-shirt and express check-in at the field. Don't delay. Don't forget. Register here: http://kloudbusters.org/airfest/registration.aspx
  • We need your help at the range with VOLUNTEER RANGE DUTY. If all flyers take a couple shifts, we'll have it covered. Please do your part to make AIRFest 27 a HUGE success.
  • Make sure you have fresh batteries for your trackers, whether you use RDF or GPS or whatever. You will need those to be working. We have crops in the fields this year. "Jerry loses rockets cuz he doesn't use his tracker, don't be like Jerry."
Thanks for you attention. We are at T-minus 30 days!

OK, so I'm going to bring some trackers. I have a Tele BT, Tele GPS, a Bee Line transmitter, a tracker that I can't remember where I got(works good though), Yaesu handheld transceiver, Yagi antenna, associated batteries, etc. Since I'm flying to Airfest, I'm shipping my rockets, although I do have one stored in Wichita. The simple answer would be to ship the radio equipment, and carry the lithium batteries in carry on. The complex answer is whover I ship the radios with will screw it up and they'll end up in Cleveland. Has anyone flown with these as carry on? Will TSA give me a weird look with strange(to the average Joe) radio equipment? Carry my FCC license and show to TSA be good? I know someone has flown with these before and would like to know what to expect. Thanks

Attachments

• KIT.jpeg
    KIT.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 24
I have laid out the areas east of the flight line (parking, camping, vendor, ect) areas for the past 13 years. I have put off having major shoulder surgery until after Airfest.
For those who are arriving early I could use an extra hand(s) on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday to help lay out and mark the camping areas and flag and set signs. I will be there starting the two Saturday's before and everyday of Airfest week. Anytime on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday would be appreciated, either morning or afternoon for anyone that didn't have already made plans in arriving early. Using the power auger or driving fence posts for signs, I cannot do this year. Any help would be especially appreciated by me.

Hey Wayne, Sharon and I will be arriving around noon on Wednesday, I will be available shortly after we set up camp. Having previous experience with the power auger won’t make that job any easier, but I’m glad to help out.

AIRFEST 27 IS SEPTEMBER 3-6, 2021 AT THE KLOUDBUSTERS ARGONIA ROCKET PASTURE
af27logo.png

• The deadline for pre-registration for AIRFest 27 is quickly approaching this Sunday 8/15/2021. Pre-registration gets you discount flyer fees, guaranteed t-shirt availability and express check-in at the field. Do it today here: http://kloudbusters.org/airfest/registration.aspx
  • KLOUDBuster elves have been busy preparing the field and infrastructure for the launch. The close of registration lets us order shirts and prepare those materials for your arrival, too.
  • While you're pre-registering (or even if you already pre-registered) stop by and sign up for some range duty. There are so, so many who have registered whose names I don't see on the volunteer list. Folks - it takes everyone's contribution to make AIRFest a success. Don't forget, only volunteers participate in our vendor raffle. Volunteer here: http://kloudbusters.org/airfest/rangeduty.aspx
  • Speaking of vendors ... on the web-site you can find a list of vendors who have committed to coming to AIRFest 27. We will have many there to display their products or satisfy all your needs for motors, recovery, kits, and everything else rocketry. Bring money! Check out the vendor list here: http://kloudbusters.org/airfest/vendorinfo.aspx
  • We hope to see everyone soon at AIRFest 27!!!

197 registered as of Saturday night. You have less then a day to pre-register to save yourself some money. It also insures that you get a T-shirt that fits.

Two weeks to AIRFest 27 !!!

If you're coming to AIRFest 27 do yourself a favor today or tomorrow and check your TRACKER BATTERIES. Charge them, order new batteries, install new batteries, or whatever it takes. You'll need your trackers due to row crops in the fields just to the east of the Rocket Pasture. Whether you use GPS, RDF, or something else, have them READY!

Some may ask: "In which rockets should I use a tracker?" Answer: "Any rocket you want back."

I posted 3 volunteer events yesterday on the Facebook group. They are:
1) Packet Prep - Saturday 8/28/2021 9:00AM
2) Set-up Sunday - Sunday 8/29/2021 9:00AM at the Rocket Pasture
3) Final Range Set-up - Thursday 9/2/2021 2:00PM at the Rocket Pasture

Please come help out if you can. Also - Wayne could use some assistance from "early arrivals" laying out the parking area. If you're on-site Tues., Wed., or Thurs. find Wayne. He is "The Sign Guy". or "The Flag Guy" ;)

Thanks!!!
af27logo_clear.png

As a heads up to other folks that had reservations at the Anthony Cobblestone Inn. I called to cancel my reservation yesterday as I can't come this year, stupid real job, and was told that the Anthony location has been closed since they had a pipe burst in February. I would not have know until I showed up, so if you made your reservation last year as I did, you may want to call about an alternative.

As a heads up to other folks that had reservations at the Anthony Cobblestone Inn. I called to cancel my reservation yesterday as I can't come this year, stupid real job, and was told that the Anthony location has been closed since they had a pipe burst in February. I would not have know until I showed up, so if you made your reservation last year as I did, you may want to call about an alternative.
Chris - Thanks for that update. Those folks had assured me that they had contacted everyone with a reservation. I'm not at all impressed with the Cobblestone Inn management. As an aside, I'll continue to recommend the Wellington Baymont/Travelodge - those folks know how to manage a hotel and have kept their prices more reasonable.

We'll miss you again. Hope you can make it up soon. I'd love for folks to see your products in person..

Last edited:
Back