AirFest 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hello all.
I was wondering if there is any info other than dates for AirFest this year? Planning on making the trip for the first. I hear it is quite a launch. I am glad I got my accommodations already as I see some hotels are already booked!

Would one say this is like an LDRS? Really looking forward to a new experience.

Input, comments?

Andrew

Airfest is pretty much an unofficial LDRS, unless it is LDRS :)

50K waivers, wide open fields, motors being burned up to O's, possibly P impulse...

You'll have a blast!

Well, I'm not sure what "any info other than dates" would be. Which BTW are Sept 3-6, 2021.

4 days. 200-400 launches per day depending upon the weather.

48+ pads spread across 6 banks. 24+ pads at M and above distance.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 M impulse and above launches.

I expect the AIRFest 27 web-pages including registration to be on-line no later than July 1.

Hotel info is the same as I have listed on our regular web-site. www.kloudbusters.org

Bring something BIG!

KloudBusters are a class act, really nice people. We have been to one LDRS and one Airfest and had a great time. If you go volunteer to work a shift out on the field great experience. Their launch site well you find won't another one any better till you get out West to the desert areas. Make sure you take what you need while the small towns around there provide all of the basic stuff the closest big city is Wichita about an hour away. The Cobblestone hotels are real nice and there are a couple of nice RV campgrounds nearby. Watch out for the Texas compound they will pull you in with all kinds of good hospitality. Bring plenty of money a lot of the big well know vendors will be there with some good deals plus several small vendors selling some neat stuff. Lots of good food of all kinds, bring extra stakes for your shelter the wind can get brisk, sun screen, hats, long sleeve shirts, etc. Be prepared for just about any type of weather.

Register online early, volunteer, but most of all bring a big smile and have fun :)

KloudBusters are a class act, really nice people. We have been to one LDRS and one Airfest and had a great time. If you go volunteer to work a shift out on the field great experience. Their launch site well you find won't another one any better till you get out West to the desert areas. Make sure you take what you need while the small towns around there provide all of the basic stuff the closest big city is Wichita about an hour away. The Cobblestone hotels are real nice and there are a couple of nice RV campgrounds nearby. Watch out for the Texas compound they will pull you in with all kinds of good hospitality. Bring plenty of money a lot of the big well know vendors will be there with some good deals plus several small vendors selling some neat stuff. Lots of good food of all kinds, bring extra stakes for your shelter the wind can get brisk, sun screen, hats, long sleeve shirts, etc. Be prepared for just about any type of weather.

Register online early, volunteer, but most of all bring a big smile and have fun :)

Thanks for the input. I have an official "hall pass" from my wife to go have some fun. She cannot do the Kansas heat so she is opting out. The main thing I want to do are long burn motors. I have always wanted to try an M650 or K375. I also truly have always wanted to see the wide open countryside. I hope I can get to see some stars without any light pollution. Trip is more about launching. I would like to sign up for RSO duty. Lastly, my only concern is my back. I hope I can fetch my rockets!

Say, can one see the milkyway at night out there?

Thanks

Just make sure you have your thrust to weight ratio's up to snuff. The winds in Kansas can be a bit windy for moonburners.
That being said, it's a great place to launch and take in all things rocketry related. I've been there twice so far and only didn't go last year because I caught the Covid... Heck, you could spend a whole day just walking around the grounds talking to people and vendors. I never did make it to the Texas area (it looked like a whole nuther world)...

There is not a better launch anywhere on the planet. The Kloudbusters bend over backwards to make sure you have fun. Give back by volunteering for range duty, I learn something every time I do plus it's just fun. Enjoy!

Edit: YES! you can see the milky way. Are you bringing a telescope?

Last edited:
There is not a better launch anywhere on the planet. The Kloudbusters bend over backwards to make sure you have fun. Give back by volunteering for range duty, I learn something every time I do plus it's just fun. Enjoy!

Edit: YES! you can see the milky way. Are you bringing a telescope?

I do not own a telescope but it sure would be great if someone showed up with one! On other notes, I just hope with the wind and heat I will do okay with rocket recovery. I am really looking forward to this trip and I am looking forward to also seeing some open spaces. Not that I don't have them where I live (Ohio), but I am talking about the open spaces that can only be found in the "middle of Kansas - o-p-e-n s-p-a-c-e-s". In a way, it is kind of like being on the open ocean, which I have done many times. Oh yes, and there are rockets to launch too!

BTW:
If any of you see and an old fat guy just standing there, looking off in the distance for hours, hit me on the back and remind me to get to launching rockets! HA!

it can be hot or it can be nice
it has been 108 with no wind and it was hard to stay cool
it has also been in the 80s and 90s

it can be hot or it can be nice
it has been 108 with no wind and it was hard to stay cool
it has also been in the 80s and 90s

Thanks, Pretty much describes any launch one can go to. However, not too many in Ohio and New York get over 100 degrees!
A-

I’ve been to Airfest each of the last three years and plan to go again this year. My experience is that of the four days, one is pretty crappy, a couple are acceptable (a little too much wind for my taste), and one is amazing. For LDRS, I was thankful for the hoodie when it got cold at night, but I’ve never felt it was too hot (but remember that I’m comparing the heat to the salt flats, where it does got hot, really hot). I echo those who recommend Airfest. Nobody does a launch better than Kloudbusters.

Andrew, if you have a problem with recovery hit me up, I'll go with ya! ;)

Wow, very kind of you! I hope to be okay by then. I currently have some back issues, but I am getting better. I am very optimistic things will be fine.
Thanks
Andrew

Do you have trackers? Will probably prove to be invaluable, especially going high.

I do not own a telescope but it sure would be great if someone showed up with one! On other notes, I just hope with the wind and heat I will do okay with rocket recovery. I am really looking forward to this trip and I am looking forward to also seeing some open spaces. Not that I don't have them where I live (Ohio), but I am talking about the open spaces that can only be found in the "middle of Kansas - o-p-e-n s-p-a-c-e-s". In a way, it is kind of like being on the open ocean, which I have done many times. Oh yes, and there are rockets to launch too!

BTW:
If any of you see and an old fat guy just standing there, looking off in the distance for hours, hit me on the back and remind me to get to launching rockets! HA!
If I were looking to get some telescope time in at AirFest, I would call Mark Logan, the owner of Science Education Center (the Kloudbusters local motor dealer), and pre-order a couple of motors from him and ask him to bring out of a couple of his. He has done this in the past.

Do you have trackers? Will probably prove to be invaluable, especially going high.
Oh yes, I have a couple. After losing my favorite rocket in chest-deep cereal rye, I never launch without one!
A-

As others have already said, AirFest is an amazing experience - it's a fantastic launch site, and an extremely well run launch.

-Kevin

Andrew, if you have a problem with recovery hit me up, I'll go with ya! ;)
See that there...
That's this rocketry community..

This is why I love being involved .

If I were looking to get some telescope time in at AirFest, I would call Mark Logan, the owner of Science Education Center (the Kloudbusters local motor dealer), and pre-order a couple of motors from him and ask him to bring out of a couple of his. He has done this in the past.

That's a super idea,,
awfully nice of Mark too..

I'd love to take a peek through a telescope on a clear night at the pasture..

Teddy

Thanks for the input. I have an official "hall pass" from my wife to go have some fun. She cannot do the Kansas heat so she is opting out. The main thing I want to do are long burn motors. I have always wanted to try an M650 or K375. I also truly have always wanted to see the wide open countryside. I hope I can get to see some stars without any light pollution. Trip is more about launching. I would like to sign up for RSO duty. Lastly, my only concern is my back. I hope I can fetch my rockets!

Say, can one see the milkyway at night out there?

Thanks
Andrew, I will be there and you know I will help you anyway I can.

Best Danged Launch Anywhere.... IMHO...... Cannot wait.... Great projects, great vendors, great people,,,, the rocket pasture, - need I say more.... I cannot wait,,,,, working on one of my AIRFEST projects today, as we speak.....Andy

PS - Always great fun to volunteer to help out for a shift or two..... RSO, pad manager, etc. You can see the super cool up close and personal

Registration done,,
volunteer sign up done,, ( Sandy likes to help at registration ),,
Excited like you wouldn't believe to get out there and see everybody and hang out and laugh and laugh...

It's been way too long..

Teddy

Back