Airfest 18, Argonia Aug 31-Sept 3, 2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures, David!

I absolute love that red glow on the back end of the Redstone!

-Kevin

The Warlock that crashed belonged to my grandpa, Randall Jessee. It is unfortunate that the incident happened and we are VERY thankful nobody got hurt. BUT, because of this incident, he is finally switching over to electronic deployment in large diameter rockets (which I have been telling him to do for years!).
It flew on a 5 grain skidmark with an 8 second delay from the 70s pads. The launch angle was fine, the rocket just had a slight lean after coming off of the rail causing a long arc in an unfortunate direction. I have seen this with a lot of high drag rockets over the years.

I would like the thank the Kloudbusters for a fantastic launch (as always!). I flew five rockets in a 2 day period, and they were all 100% successful... And 3 of them flights were certification flights!

Level 1 - PML Amraam 2 - H238T
Level 2 - 5.5" Polecat Nike Smoke - K1100T
Level 3 - 15lb 4" rocket - M1297W
Estes Fatboy - I218R
Wildman Darkstar - I800

-Taylor Jessee

I thought thats who's rocket that was but I wasn't sure so I didnt say anything. Congrats on all three of your certification flights Taylor.

Everyone needs to remember your at a rocket launch. not a model rail road show. Things happen. I saw many times at Airfest when heads up was called out a lot of people never even moved from under their tents or even looked up. So if a non TRA or NAR member gets hurt what happens then. With the new rules a non member can't even be out at the pads helping set up a project that he or she has worked on for a year. I don't care for the new rule change but that is what it is so we need to go by the new rule.
GP

Yep! that's it!

Sorry I didn't swing by and say hi! I kept walking past your camp and meant to stop in...

Very awesome picture!

Braden

No problem, as long as the rockets got in the air. You all can use any of the pictures I took of your rockets too. Not sure all I have but I'm still not done editing and postin to my site. The VA had me dry on meds after I got back till today so I have been very much out of it and hurting pretty bad so I haven't done a whole lot. Just starting to feel myself again today. It's funny what coming off of a medication or two can do to you.

WOW! CJ told me it was pretty spectacular!:eyepop: He told me the rocket survived with NO damage! Which is a good thing! The Cherry Bomb is one SWEET rocket!:D

No damage? I guess that means he got the case out! And I know his tracker didn't do so well...

Braden

Not yet...The case mushroomed a bit after the nozzle spit out..Maybe I should have typed:

No damage save for being unable to remove the case from the motor tube...

But, CJ being CJ, I am sure he will figure a way to get the case out.:wink:

No damage? I guess that means he got the case out! And I know his tracker didn't do so well...

Braden

Anyone know if Rocketsmagazine is going to post online photoshop? Usualy they have it up within a week or so of a launch if they are doing it.

Looking for some pics of my rocket flew 2nd flight of the day on saturday from the pad 62. and friday afternoon from 62. also my sons rocket on a sparky from pad 68 saturday afternoon.

[video=youtube;M_4OmuIOL_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4OmuIOL_E[/video]

Here is my onboard video from Orange Crush. It flew on an O5000 Alabama White Lightning motor to 19000 Ft at Mach 1.25. Rocket was 16ft tall, 7.5in diameter and 153lb on the pad.

Here is my onboard video from Orange Crush. It flew on an O5000 Alabama White Lightning motor to 19000 Ft at Mach 1.25. Rocket was 16ft tall, 7.5in diameter and 153lb on the pad.

Nice video and a good overview of the recovery area. I believe I recovered my rocket from one of the fields in the circled portion of this frame likely at the X.

Launch.jpg

Nice video and a good overview of the recovery area. I believe I recovered my rocket from one of the fields in the circled portion of this frame likely at the X.

View attachment 96773

That far away? Which day did you launch, and what was the flight info? Mine were all landing much, much closer than that. Granted, I wasn't going all that high (maybe a mile or so at most), but even single deploy at a mile was landing much, much closer than that. Here were my landing locations for the weekend - red is from Saturday, green is from Sunday, and blue was Monday.

Argonia launch site landing locations 2012.png

That far away? Which day did you launch, and what was the flight info? Mine were all landing much, much closer than that. Granted, I wasn't going all that high (maybe a mile or so at most), but even single deploy at a mile was landing much, much closer than that. Here were my landing locations for the weekend - red is from Saturday, green is from Sunday, and blue was Monday.

I agree it seems like a lot of drift. It always drifts further than I expect. Here is the data.

Blackhawk38 on CTI J530 - 15,127' Baro AGL, 1187 MPH, 45 Gs, DD controlled by Raven (no motor deploy) main at 700'.

Launched Saturday midmorning.
Landed 3.7 miles south, 1.2 miles east of the launch site based on odometer observations as I drove the section roads.

I've launched this rocket three times, the first two times at Mile High Mayhem in May which was pretty windy. I don't know what the winds aloft were like at Airfest.
The three flights topped out at 6000', 12,844', and 15,127'. It drifted approximately 1mi, 2.3mi, 3.9mi on each of these flights.
The Raven data indicates that the charges are all firing at the right altitudes.
I am using a single #2 nylon shear pin to hold the NC on. At landing, everything is always layed out nicely like I would expect.
It is the stock chute that came with the kit; 24" Topflight.

I don't have the flight graphs at hand but can look them up later. I recall that some of the plots, if not all, indicated a change in descent, but not much after the main came out. But I suppose it is possible the main is deploying early, but I doubt it.

I'd be curious to see the Raven data on that - that seems like an incredibly excessive amount of drift for a dual deploy flight at 15k, but it sounds perfectly reasonable if you're dumping the main at apogee. It's certainly possible that it drifted that far even with dual deploy, but it seems unlikely, especially given that it was fairly windless on Saturday.

I'd be curious to see the Raven data on that - that seems like an incredibly excessive amount of drift for a dual deploy flight at 15k, but it sounds perfectly reasonable if you're dumping the main at apogee. It's certainly possible that it drifted that far even with dual deploy, but it seems unlikely, especially given that it was fairly windless on Saturday.

Well, :blush:, the main did come out at apogee on the Airfest flight. You can clearly see the acceration spike of the chute popping 1.5 seconds after the apogee charge blew and then a steady 25-30 fps decent all the way to the ground. The other outputs did fire as planned. So either I had the altimeter leads connected backward or my shear pin failed.

I attached the output from my MHM flight for comparison. It shows a 60+fps decent from apogee and then 18fps under main. Based on that, the main may have been fouled a bit during the Airfest flight to yield the faster decent; a lucky thing considering how far it drifted.

20120527 Blackhawk38 HMH J.jpgView attachment 20120527 Blackhawk 38 MHM J.FIPa20120901 Airfest BH38.jpgView attachment 20120901 Airfest BH38.FIPa

Edit: Note the apogee backup on channel 3 firing late. It was programmed to fire on velocity <0 and with a 1second delay after apogee. The altimeter doesn't indicate that the velocity <0 condition was met until after the rocket had fallen 4000'.

We can move this to email if you want so we don't hijack this thread.

Last edited:
Not yet...The case mushroomed a bit after the nozzle spit out..Maybe I should have typed:

No damage save for being unable to remove the case from the motor tube...

But, CJ being CJ, I am sure he will figure a way to get the case out.:wink:

Well not this time. The case must have mushroomed inside the motor mount.

I cut the areo-pac and rear of the motor off with a chop saw. That didn't work.

Cut 2 ft off the fincan to access the front of motor. 2 hrs of beating the he$$ out of it on the concrete floor just shortened the case by 2in. I did get it to move about 6in. then it would not budge.

Finally the rail button caught the web of my hand between thumb and trigger finger impaling the button into my hand. [While throwing the fincan at the floor as hard as I could]

That was it. Ball peen hammer came out and I knocked the fins off and cleaned them up to build a new fincan.

Nothing worse than a rocket surviving a Cato like that, looking to be in perfect shape and then having to destroy it.

I will say this though..... it was spectacular as boom booms go!:smile:

Ps will have the new can finished tommorrow.

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0627.jpg

Last edited:
Finally the rail button caught the web of my hand between thumb and trigger finger impaling the button into my hand. [While throwing the fincan at the floor as hard as I could]

Ouch!

At that point, I'm betting you were frustrated, and the button tearing your hand open didn't help!

-Kevin

Back