Air Starts rules/regulations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serpico

Reaction score
Did some looking around but didn't really find anything comprehensive.

What are the rules/regulations regarding air-starts? For instance: Permissible to fly a 3 stage utilizing J's with 2 air starts? Permissible to fly air-start in cluster formation?

thanks
Frank

As with any rocket in a complex configuration, you should be prepared with data, procedures, simulations, and design documentation for review by the appropriate people at the launch. As long as it's engineered and built properly, the flight profile stays below the waiver, and the appropriate safety precautions are in place I would see no reason why it wouldn't be approved.

My advice would be to contact your clubs officers and go over the project with them. As long are your analysis, design, and build are in order it should be a quick approval. This would be especially important if this project is relatively complex to what you've done before. Expect a more thorough inspection of the safety officer especially if this is a leap up in complexity for you.

I am not an air start veteran or anything but I would think as long as you are flying within your cert level and do your due diligence to ensure stability and solid electrical design, there would be no restrictions. I stand by to be corrected.

Agree with above, ask the club , fly the field - be prepared for them to ask thrust to weight ratio with the booster motor can lift it comfortably and when will the air starts happen, how is the igniter secured, what electronics are you using to fire the air start?

I'll be doing my first air start tomorrow so I'll let you know what they ask me. The rocket I'm using has already flown 3 times as a single stage and the motor I'll use is even stronger, so if the airstarts don't light right away that's ok it will still be coasting.

Oh and of course a tracker in case it lights and takes off less than vertical 😉

For an Airstart this weekend FAILED - I learned something this weekend. The heat from the center motor (K711) melted the air start Ignitors insulation so was the shorted when the air- start attempted ignition. So from Teddy, wire them in series and protect the crap out of all the wires!

Everything was OK and flew fine just no air-start - was rushing it a little and was the last one out on the pad so stupid on my part for lack of protection, should have asked for a reset, or left an Ignitor wire off intentionally so I didn't felt rushed.

"The heat from the center motor (K711) melted the air start Ignitors insulation so was the shorted when the air- start attempted ignition."

One of the best reasons to do Head-End Ignition (HEI)
No wires routed to the aft of the rocket and no wires in the flame.

Last edited:
...I'll be doing my first air start tomorrow so I'll let you know what they ask me....

So - how did your launch go?

EDIT: NM, just saw your response above - sorry.

Last edited:
As with any rocket in a complex configuration, you should be prepared with data, procedures, simulations, and design documentation for review by the appropriate people at the launch. As long as it's engineered and built properly, the flight profile stays below the waiver, and the appropriate safety precautions are in place I would see no reason why it wouldn't be approved.

My advice would be to contact your clubs officers and go over the project with them. As long are your analysis, design, and build are in order it should be a quick approval. This would be especially important if this project is relatively complex to what you've done before. Expect a more thorough inspection of the safety officer especially if this is a leap up in complexity for you.

+1 This is exceptionally good advise ! Always check with the club and/or launch director before hand.

An important side note, some clubs/launches may have restrictions on the TYPE of electronics required for airstarts. In my *personal* opinion, "timer-only" airstart is NOT adequate.

Latest posts

Back