Air Force One at Daytona Beach Int'l

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Air Force One landed today at Daytona Beach Int'l all of the Riddle students had a front row seat. Here's a picture my friend took.

airforceone.jpg

WOW..... I have never seen Air Force One in real life...... But I have seen Huey One, the presidents helicopter. Actually, I saw them (all three) being transported into the Air Force base I was at in Korea. Then the marines assembled them, and test flew them, and then worked on them again. Then the hueys were taken to Korean capital were they picked up the president from Air Force One and flew him around the capital. He made a few speeches and then was returned to Air Force One......... This was back in Jan of 1989 with President Bush (senior)

...Ive always wanted to see AF1.
Bush must really want to win florida this election, seeing how hes come back here so many times in recent months.
I remember that just after hurricane jeanne he came to help out those in need. The look on some of the people's faces seeing him putting water and ice in thier trunk was priceless. I'm sure he definately won some votes for that...

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
WOW..... I have never seen Air Force One in real life...... But I have seen Huey One, the presidents helicopter.

Ahem...that would be MARINE One.

Semper Fi, ya'll.

Originally posted by Chilly
that would be MARINE One

Ok..... I guess I have spent the last 15 years telling people that story and have called it the wrong name..........

A few weeks ago, the President was visiting SW Ohio, and flew in and out of Wright Patterson AFB, which is where I work. I made it a point to drive past the flight line on my way out - Air Force One just looks awesome!

Loopy

by the way, if I recall correctly, ANY airplane that the POTUS flies on becomes "Air Force One" since it's a radio call sign. When the POTUS gets on a C-17 it becomes "Air Force One". the standard airplane we are used to seeing an "Air Force One" is a VC-25A which is a specially modified 747.

https://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/af1/flash.html

https://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=131

Originally posted by Ozymandias
Air Force One landed today at Daytona Beach Int'l all of the Riddle students had a front row seat. Here's a picture my friend took.

airforceone.jpg

Negative. It depends on which branch of service the aircraft belongs to. If it's an Air Force plane, then yes, that's correct. But the helicopter squadron, VMX-1, is a Marine unit and the callsign is Marine One.
When he flew out to that carrier on an S-3 a couple years ago, their callsign was Navy One.

That's what I meant when I said "airplane". I knew that the helicopters are called "Marine One" but I never bothered to check on other Navy or Army aircraft (fixed wing or rotor).

So, do they use a special radio call sign for the aircraft carrier once the POTUS is on board?

Originally posted by Chilly
Negative. It depends on which branch of service the aircraft belongs to. If it's an Air Force plane, then yes, that's correct. But the helicopter squadron, VMX-1, is a Marine unit and the callsign is Marine One.
When he flew out to that carrier on an S-3 a couple years ago, their callsign was Navy One.

Back