Air brushes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good brand to buy for the money? I'm thinking about incorporating an air brush system for some of my scale builds? I never used one before and was wondering what the learning curve is? Also should I go with a gravity feed? What about dual action?? Should I buy a complete kit with a compressor?

I use the Harbor Freight gravity feed one and have had no issues with it. I've sprayed auto paints, createx, custom colors, flake, pearl and metallic through mine with no issues.
That one is dual action where you can control the air pressure and flow of paint. It's a learning curve to use one which you can easily learn on some scrap poster board. Practice taping lines and sections off and shadowing colors. Get a feel for it. And practice cleaning it.

I use the same compressor I use for my air tools and spray guns. For the air brush I run the hose HF sells for it with a dryer and adapter to plug into the compressor. I turn the air down at the regulator on the compressor.

I’ve used Paasche VL double action siphon feed for years.
I’ve painted I don’t know how many models with it, and some smaller rockets. I’ve also used it to do touch up on trim moldings around the house.
It sprays everything from latex to oils.
The beauty with the siphon is you can make your own pots to increase or decrease the fluid amount you are holding, or run a hose to a large can.
Clean up is a breeze and there are various needles to control the volumes and densities.
I practiced with some cardboard and old paints for a week to get it down.

I use a mid 80's Badger, an Eastwood Badger knockoff and the Harbor Fraud $14 gravity feed. All dual action and all on a tankless Badger compressor. One for water based, one for lacquer and one for clear. I can't tell a difference in quality of the finish but the HF is the easiest to clean.

There are two schools of thought on starting cheap to see if you like it. One is, obviously, it saves money if you don't end up using it much. The other is that if you go too cheap the quality will be such that it's too hard to use; with great skill one can compensate for poor quality equipment but you really need something good when starting out. This goes for virtually anything that takes skill to operate, be it a telescope, a manual transmission, or an airbrush. My rule of thumb is to start with only a modest price but avoid toy quality cheap.

I have two airbrushes. I ordered the Harbor Freight double action unit and have never found the right fittings to attach it to my compressor (a small, tankless one I got from someone who wasn't using it).

Then I bought a little kit, Testors I think, that holds a siphon feed jar in front of a compressed air can with a single action trigger; this one may violate my rule above, but it certainly does work. It sprays only a wee tad smoother than a rattle can; it's advantage is that it allows for mixing one's own colors, and that's what I bought it for. I've barely used it since the first one or two color mixes, and have gone back to rattle cans. But I'm not out much.

I guess all I'm really saying is mull over why you want to buy an airbrush at all before spending the money. I bought the Harbor Freight just because I wanted to try one out, and it's probably a good entry point for that (based on other people's reports) which I'd still like to do once I unpack the compressor and get the parts to hook it up. I bout the El Cheapo for one purpose, and it worked for that. If you already know that you're committed to mastering the craft then don't waste time or money on half measures and get a real, high quality rig.

I have a Paasche H single action siphon feed airbrush. It's very simple and easy to learn on. I also bought a super-cheap Harbor Freight single-action airbush:
image_25729.jpg

It works surprisingly well, though it's harder to clean and setup than the Paasche.

Gravity feed I’ve never had much luck with. I’m not saying they are all this way, but the one I had I could never get to stop leaking. I always ended up with more paint on me than on my project.
The siphons have always worked well for me.
The gravity feeds usually use lower pressure, some say easier to clean. I never found that true as I mentioned above.
Siphon feeds you don’t have to mix and pour into a cup.
I made an attachment that fit the small testers paint bottles, and could change colors in just a few seconds after running a minimal amount of thinner between colors.

Check out Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see if they have something you would like. Use their 40% off coupon. Multiple times if necessary:). I have several airbrushes and use them pretty often. What to get comes down to-
  • what you want to do with it
  • how much you want to spend
  • how big the rockets are
There is lots of information online but i'm sure you know that:cool:

Latest posts

Back