AIM-9X Schematic Diagram

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebpd221

Reaction score
I've been hunting Google for a schematic diagram for the AIM 9X variant of the Sidewinder with no luck. Plenty of pictures and rendered models, but only basic data on overall length and finspan. I was hoping someone might have a dimensional drawing with a little more data so my contemplated version is more scale than pseudo-scale. On paper, I've got a 1:2 scale envisioned using a 54mm motor mount with body and nose modules that can be adjusted for multiple recovery configurations. I appreciate the help from the group.

I absolutely hate to see questions like this go unanswered. Unfortunately, there seems to be no details on the newest variant. I spent a couple hours exhausting my resources including a couple of RMS, Northrup-Grumman not so public web based access sites. I found a ton of really neat information and design targets/goals. I'd be happy to send that information along. I also ran across some not so fun for everyone contract details. I think the best you are going to get is a sport-scale version and knowing missile diameter and length, scale fins/conduits appropriately.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think the classified nature of this program puts a lot of restrictions on detail availability.

I appreciate the replies. I think the sport scale approach is going to need to be the way I go with this. Using photogrammetry to scale features from pictures led to a design that was well under stability margins. Good for a highly maneuverable interceptor, but not so much for a model I’d like to get back. The reality is that model rocket design is going to differ from an actual missile in just about every way. I’ll get the finished product close in appearance, but it has to fly safely if I want it to fly at all.

I managed to finish up the build, AIM-9X Block II (ish). This was a ton of fun to put together. Like I concluded earlier, everything was based on photos only. I also found out that among the three versions of the missile, with captive and ground trainers that each had subtle differences in appearance. Some details from several versions got overlapped in the build. Overall, I’m pretty happy with the outcome. It’s 1:2 scale, blue tube airframe on a 38mm motor mount. It weighs in right at 2000g. Motor ejection with a JLCR on a 48” chute for recovery. Motors will run from H to K with the high end being very unlikely until it gets a GPS in the payload section. My home field is a little tight, so recovery on anything going over 3k in altitude can be a bit problematic. Plenty of fun to be had on the way to higher, further, faster.
IMG_0632.jpgIMG_0633.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

Wow! Awesome! Great work! I’ve always liked the scale missile looking rockets. I built a bullpup kit from The Launch Pad and it looks so cool.

Wow. Just Wow. I'm going to need help getting my jaw off the ground. Gorgeous.

With a model that looks that realistic you might have to be careful that no police are around when you take it out! They might start asking questions!

Only problem with awesome paint jobs (and yes that is an awesome job) do fly it and no matter what, the paint is likely going to get dinged up. If you can fly only over grass that might help but have the rocket get dragged over a farm field in the dirt and the paint is going to take a beating. Kurt

Back