AIM-9X Schematic Diagram

Discussion in 'Scale' started by mikebpd221, Oct 10, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2019 #1

mikebpd221

mikebpd221

mikebpd221

I've been hunting Google for a schematic diagram for the AIM 9X variant of the Sidewinder with no luck. Plenty of pictures and rendered models, but only basic data on overall length and finspan. I was hoping someone might have a dimensional drawing with a little more data so my contemplated version is more scale than pseudo-scale. On paper, I've got a 1:2 scale envisioned using a 54mm motor mount with body and nose modules that can be adjusted for multiple recovery configurations. I appreciate the help from the group.

2. Oct 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM #2

KGav8r

KGav8r

KGav8r

I absolutely hate to see questions like this go unanswered. Unfortunately, there seems to be no details on the newest variant. I spent a couple hours exhausting my resources including a couple of RMS, Northrup-Grumman not so public web based access sites. I found a ton of really neat information and design targets/goals. I'd be happy to send that information along. I also ran across some not so fun for everyone contract details. I think the best you are going to get is a sport-scale version and knowing missile diameter and length, scale fins/conduits appropriately.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I think the classified nature of this program puts a lot of restrictions on detail availability.

3. Oct 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM #3

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

4. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:27 AM #4

mikebpd221

mikebpd221

mikebpd221

I appreciate the replies. I think the sport scale approach is going to need to be the way I go with this. Using photogrammetry to scale features from pictures led to a design that was well under stability margins. Good for a highly maneuverable interceptor, but not so much for a model I’d like to get back. The reality is that model rocket design is going to differ from an actual missile in just about every way. I’ll get the finished product close in appearance, but it has to fly safely if I want it to fly at all.

5. Oct 17, 2019 at 4:55 PM #5

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

Modern weapon system. Lack of public detail is not surprising