AGM 33 PIKE standard 4" Madcow kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
308 g in the form of 1 T-shirt and 1 rag (lol) in the payload. That got me 1.75 cal forward of the CP. I was good with that for the first flight . I can remove some of the weight and fly H motors with an adaptor (H180W and H250G )for low 1k' flights . The 45" chute is perfect for H and I motors. I'm adding DD before flying a medium J.

As our good man Ted Chernok will tell you, the first change in thinking is to stop calling it a "shock" cord, and start calling it a "harness." It really shouldn't be bearing any kind of shock. Deployment charges should be measured and ground tested such that you get a clean separation without any stress on the harness.

There is nothing wrong with elastic. But it is flammable (remember when we used to say "inflammable?"), and tends to fray over time.

You can mitigate an overaggressive deployment charge by Z-folding and taping or rubberbanding your harness.

The Z fold technique worked great. Thanks. There were 3 sections not pulled apart by the deployment. That tells me the harness had very little stress placed on it along with the rest of the rocket. And thats what I'm looking for.:cool:

Back