After a long absence, wondering about the state of the hobby these days? ( Intro)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, what happened to the Calhoun launch site? It's only about 1/2 hour from where my brother lives.

Unfortunately the land reverted back to the original owner after a long lease, and he was not as fond of the idea of rockets being flown on his land. But we'll revisit the idea with him from time to time.

Welcome back... I'm sorta in the same boat you were, just ahead by several years... I've been back into rocketry for about 6 years now...

There are lots of us "born again rocketeers" (BARs for short). Things are actually better now than they were back in the "old days". LPR (low power rocketry- micromaxx 1/8 A motors up through C motors) is alive and well, and there's more choices, more vendors, more kits, more cameras, more electronics payloads, more interesting things to do NOW than there has ever been! While Estes and Centuri merged years ago and have changed hands several times since, Hobbico recently acquired them and the last year or so has been the most promising and interesting stuff coming out of Estes in decades. In addition, there's Quest, Semroc, Dr. Zooch, Fliskits, Apogee, and TONS of other vendors and manufacturers too numerous to name here... but are easily turned up with some research (even think they have a "resources" thread around here somewhere). Just about anything you can think of to do in rocketry is available now, from somebody, somewhere... MPR (mid-power rocketry) is also thriving, and there's more choices than ever. Where the power scale used to pretty well top out with the F100 from Flight Systems, Inc (FSI, which is now defunct) there's a prodigious amount of both black powder motors in D and E impulse class and both single use and reloadable composite propellant choices from a couple different manufacturers from the C power range through D, E, F, and G impulse ranges, all of which can be bought and flown by anybody over the age of 18 without any hassles or paperwork or certifications. The model rocket safety code has been amended over the years to really increase the weight and power limits available compared to the "old days" (the NAR website has the model rocket safety code with the specifics). Basically you can fly anything up to 2 "G" motors without certs and still be covered under NAR insurance if you're a NAR member (I'm not-- like you, $62 is just too much for me to pay-- that's between 1/4-1/3 of my YEARLY hobby budget! But NAR insurance is included in that now-- it used to be voluntary and an additional $26 a year if you bought the insurance, on top of the ~$25 dues... from back in the late 80's when I was in high school and a NAR member... course I didn't buy insurance then either... now that it's mandatory and part of the membership price, I just can't afford to join!).

HPR (high power rocketry) is, in my experience, a mixed bag... I catch a lot of flack from certain quarters because I'm not a fawning fan of it... I was interested in it when I got back into rocketry several years ago, because HPR was just being tentatively tried out and arguments were raging back and forth about it's "creation and inclusion as legitimate legal rocket activities" back in the late 80's/early 90's when I dropped out of rocketry due to mechanic's school and all that real-life stuff getting in the way... I've attended some HPR meets and the more I've seen and experienced, the more leery of it I've become. I've seen more than a few "incidents" that could have been EXTREMELY serious and weren't by sheer luck or chance, and I've been even more disturbed by the attitude that seems to prevail that "no harm, no foul" is perfectly acceptable... Now, I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, because there ARE MANY responsible HPR flyers who really strive for safety and "doing it right" and do a very good job at it... BUT, there are probably JUST AS MANY who have a "hold my beer and watch this" type attitude or who are lackadaisical about safety and end up doing stuff that presents a hazard to themselves and others. What I find MOST disturbing is that most folks tend to simply brush aside legitimate criticisms or discussions about such things and "close ranks" and either tacitly approve of what they're doing or outright defend them... I really don't want to paint with a broad brush, because I've seen folks who I know and respect who are "doing it right". But there's enough folks NOT "doing it right" that I just stay away from the HPR side of things altogether now. I think it's a regional thing, and folks I've talked to with experience from different areas seem to think the same thing, so perhaps you're in a 'better area' than I am... I'll say this, from DIRECT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE... that after being 'back in' a year I offered our farm to a club for a flying field, and after some talk about possibly doing low-end HPR on the farm, with the things I'd seen and read about happening elsewhere at HPR venues, I and my family decided that we simply won't allow HPR activities on our farms. In fact, we now have TWO clubs flying on BOTH of our farms, and while the other farm is big enough and remote enough to support HPR activities up to some very large power levels, our family has decided that we simply WON'T allow HPR on our properties, from a liability and safety standpoint. That's not a particularly popular stance, but from what I've personally witnessed, it's the correct one AFAIC...

Some HPR folks are just the nicest folks you'd ever meet. Some are "power junkies" who just like shooting off the biggest, baddest, most expensive thing they possibly can, just because they can... They literally have money to burn and do HPR "for kicks" and to rub people's nose in it... same thing with lots of different hobbies... boats, motorcycles, cars, whatever... you know the type. Some HPR folks consider anything under an "H" motor a "toy" and "kid stuff" and some embrace the entire spectrum from micromaxx up to "M" motors, and consider it all good... It really just depends on the individual and the attitudes of the local clubs. Basically you won't know til you start attending a few launches and talking to people... odds are you can find a group that is relatively like-minded to your interests and "power level". Sounds like you don't want to spend the money for HPR; I don't either, frankly I can think of a lot better things to do with that kind of money... but I can understand that some people get a REALLY big kick out of it, and so long as they're safe, well, more power to 'em... I like a cool big bird flight as much as anybody when it's done right! (and glad I'm not paying for it!) If someone's got attitude and doesn't want to do anything but thumb their nose at you for "playing with toys instead of getting a REAL rocket like theirs that cost $XXXX thousand bucks, yadda yadda..." well, if you're like me you tune them out pretty quick and leave them to pound sand while you find someone who's NOT an A-hole to do rocket stuff with... believe me they're out there... (BOTH kinds... I know, I've seen both types PERSONALLY!)

Later and good luck to you and your kids! Have fun! As Dr. Zooch says, "Rocketry is about having fun; if you're not having fun, you're DOING IT WRONG!" :)

OL JR :)

WOW!! I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone. it this thread is any indication, I'd say the health of the hobby is just fine!! After writing my post, I made my way up to my storage building to see if I could find my old field box and launch pad. I have this quality I got from late Father which is good and bad. It's the fact that I don't tend to throw too much stuff away. Today it was a good quality because not only did I find my old field box but I also found not one but two Estes Porta pads and not one but three Estes "Electron beam" launch controllers!! In addition, I had a small bag full of assorted rocket parts, some unused parachutes, several unopened packages of various sized engines and last but not least an Estes "Bullpup 12D" kit that I had forgotten all about! I don't know what the shelf life of engines is so they may not be much good anymore but it was extremely cool to find the kit and the extra launch pads and controllers I didn't know I had.
BTW, as I mentioned I live on a lake out in the country. I don't live near any school fields anymore but there is a boat launching area across the road from my place. It's a decent sized clear area and stays pretty much deserted most of the time. I've flown small RC planes over there in the past and figure it will accommodate small rockets up to about an A or possibly B size. Other than that I will probably have to try and hook up with some clubs to do anything much bigger. Atlanta might do once in awhile, it's a good drive from here though. The Macon and Athens areas are also possibilities and I did see an NAR affiliated club in Madison Georgia which is not too bad a drive from here at all.
Michael

I've flown a lot of motors from my old stash from the late 80's and they've all been just fine, more or less. Mostly B, C, and D motors. That said, a lot depends on how they were stored... temperature extremes are the enemy of black powder rocket motors over long term storage... as is humidity, though if they're still sealed in the packages or were stored in a tight box they should be fine. Temperature cycling plays the biggest role. Motors should ideally be stored inside a heated, air conditioned building in a cool dark place. If they've been stored in the attic and subjected to 100 degree plus weather in summer and below freezing temps in winter, or in a shed or outbuilding or whatever that sees such temperature extremes, you have a higher risk the motor could malfunction or cato when it's fired. Basically the motor could "blow up" with a bang like a big firecracker. This of course usually destroys the rocket, needless to say. Sometimes just the nozzle blows out or the propellant slug blows out the top of the rocket, pretty well incinerating the rocket in process. BUT, MOST old motors will operate just fine, even if they haven't been stored under the best of conditions... it's just more of a gamble...

My advice-- if you have motors your unsure about, just build a 'cheap and dirty' rocket to fly them in, and see what happens... a rocket that IF the motor were to go boom and destroy the rocket, that it wouldn't be a terribly sad thing (IE NOT that Bullpup kit! :)) There's tons of "Three fins and a nosecone (3FNC)" kits that fit the bill here... for cheap. Or, you can build your own, which is very fun. Fly those motors though, don't throw them away...

Later! OL JR :)

I find there are four types of flyers. Huge motor in tiny rocket, tiny motor in huge rocket, huge motor in something that was never meant to fly, and just a 3FNC.

I cannot tell if I'm born again or just a dabbler. I still have most of my rockets that I have been flying for over 30 years plus I am catching myself building at least two or three every year. The cost of launching concerns me, at least in LP, which is why I am now eyeballing going to the next level. Hey, if your going to spend money, why not go all the way eh?

Except I am also into RC, hot rods, sailing, and remodeling a house. Anyway, I know how you all feel and welcome back to the hobby.

Scott

I cannot tell if I'm born again or just a dabbler. I still have most of my rockets that I have been flying for over 30 years plus I am catching myself building at least two or three every year. The cost of launching concerns me, at least in LP, which is why I am now eyeballing going to the next level. Hey, if your going to spend money, why not go all the way eh?

Except I am also into RC, hot rods, sailing, and remodeling a house. Anyway, I know how you all feel and welcome back to the hobby.

Scott

As far as moving up a level from LPR, the Aerotech 24/40 reload case gives you a lot of fun motor options while still being affordable. :2:

Welcome back! Many of us feel that the hobby is experiencing a new "golden age" right now; there is not just one but now two national rocketry organizations, both of which have been seeing record increases in memberships, the whole atmosphere and approach to sport rocketry has swung back to it being a hands-on hobby rather than a toy-driven diversion, there are now more manufacturers and vendors of rocketry kits, parts and motors than the marketplace has seen in quite some time and the technology has grown by leaps and bounds over the past two decades. There is much, much more positive stuff to list, but suffice it to say, you have picked a good time to become active in rocketry again.

Back