Laser / CNC Affordable Laser cutter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who are adept DIY folks, check out the MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC) ...
www.v1engineering.com
This machine has really impressed the hell out of me. Interchangeable tool mounts allow you to use it as an engraver, cutter, 3D printer, vinyl cutter (DECALS!), plotter, and if you're really adventurous, Plasma cutter. Some folks have designed a setup for it for automatic tools changing as well.

I built mine for under $500, and you can essentially make it any (reasonable) size you want.
If you want to make larger items, the same guy designed the Low Rider CNC Router.
I have the kit for one of them, but haven't gotten the time to build it yet. They're well designed, and a very affordable option. The forums on the V1 site have a TON of info, and any questions are usually answered very quickly.

For what it is worth - I have had a small Chinese made "K40" laser cutter for several years. While it has serves its purpose reasonably well, I would seriously consider the CNC router as a better option. Cheap laser cutters are made of commodity parts, are quickly assembled, and are more of a hobby into themselves than you might expect. They need finicky alignment, cooling water, and are pretty delicate. I found that I needed quite a bit of tweaking to get mine to perform acceptably. Others have had similar experiences, and the web is replete with tales of broken laser tubes, defective power supplies, poor wiring, and mechanicals that look as though they were made using strictly hand tools.

It has serves my needs, but I have to believe that one of the inexpensive routers would do the job better and without the attendant risks of blindness or electrocution. Did I mention that mine came with no safety interlocks whatsoever?

I also have a "K40" laser machine... I did splurge and upgrade the controller to the Cohesion 3D unit.
Maybe I got lucky with mine, but aside from some image quality lines showing up (Which I believe was the original controller)
My K40 has been pretty solid. It's most definitely NOT an industrial unit by any means, but for $350, it's pretty solid.
I haven't had the chance to run it since I installed the new board... picked up my life and moved from Arizona to Idaho, bought
a new house and my other half decided it should be remodeled... we're finally getting to the end of the remodel and I'll be able to get
it set back up and start testing it.
Like you said Doug, they're hit and miss... It's nice to have either option! ;)

For those of you who are adept DIY folks, check out the MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC) ...
www.v1engineering.com
This machine has really impressed the hell out of me. Interchangeable tool mounts allow you to use it as an engraver, cutter, 3D printer, vinyl cutter (DECALS!), plotter, and if you're really adventurous, Plasma cutter. Some folks have designed a setup for it for automatic tools changing as well.

I built mine for under $500, and you can essentially make it any (reasonable) size you want.
If you want to make larger items, the same guy designed the Low Rider CNC Router.
I have the kit for one of them, but haven't gotten the time to build it yet. They're well designed, and a very affordable option. The forums on the V1 site have a TON of info, and any questions are usually answered very quickly.

I have actually been looking at both the MPCNC and the Root3. What sold you on building the MPCNC, over any of the others out there? I am still trying to figure out which way I want to go. Thanks for the time.

I'm actually unfamiliar with the Root3... I stumbled across the MPCNC, went and checked out their forums, had been doing 3D printing for a few years, and it just seemed to fit. Through 3D printing, I also had lots of parts laying around. I built mine for under $500.
I have the 'standard' dewalt mini router that most folks use on it, also bought a variable speed chinese spindle motor, drag knife (Vinyl cutting) etc. Maybe I got lucky with my Chinese Spindle, some people have gotten theirs with a substantial amount of runout... Mine was dead nuts on. There is a lot of user support as well... lots of user created tool mounts, even a automated tool changer, all available on Thingiverse.

Have you ever tried to cut any aluminum with the MPCNC? I would like to find one that could cut Al on rare occasions if it was needed. I haven't seen a whole lot about either MPCNC or Root3 when it comes to that. I know the PrintNC is capable of doing it but that a significant step up from either of these machines.

Yes, I've cut aluminum on it... but using the Dewalt mini router... it runs at something like 30K RPM. The piece I cut showed chatter marks, but it did work. Once I get it setup again (Moved recently) I'll try it again with the variable speed spindle. There are others out there that have done aluminum on it... Do a search on YouTube and at least a few should pop up.
The biggest difference, IMO, in doing aluminum over wood or plastic, you need as much rigidity as you can, so you'll want to make it as small as is feasible for the rest of your work.
The first go around, I built mine at about 36"x48" work area... I cut the guide tubes down and now run about 24" x 30".

For larger wood or foam projects, I have one of the Low Rider CNC Router kits from the same company, V1 Engineering.
I plan on building that large enough to take a full 4x8 sheet, provided I can manage the amount of space it will take up.
Hopefully I'll be able to think up some way to rig up a hinged mount that will allow me to flip it up against the wall when I'm not using it... I figure it'll protrude from the wall by about 15" or so... might just be manageable! ;)

Thanks for the advice. I think I will start printing out one of the newer version that uses the 1" DOM tubing and see how it goes.

Back