Aerotech Sumo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a line to purchase one of these. But I don't know much about the rocket.

Is it a good kit?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: What's a good or reasonable price?

Thanks for your input!

Originally posted by Fore Check
Alright, I've got a line to purchase one of these. But I don't know much about the rocket.

Is it a good kit?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: What's a good or reasonable price?

Thanks for your input!

Haven't built one. But here's where I go to check prices:
https://www.buyrockets.com/buyrockets/aerotech.html
When comparing prices, compare shipping costs. Individuals tend to charge way more than stores. On the other hand, before buying from a store, call and ask them if it's in stock, and if not, how long before it ships.

I have built its bigger brother the G-Force. The Sumo will go a bit higher on G motors. I recommend it highly seeing as it is very similar to the G-Force.

Only thing I can suggest from people I've seen with the Sumo is to scrap the piston assembly it comes with. Use the coupler part of the piston to re-inforce the aft end of the body tube, as the motor mount is recessed a bit in this kit. Beyond that, go for it!

Loopy

I have a Sumo I built originally for a L1 flight, however I switched at the last minute to my BBX. However:

1. Scrap the piston. It took hours of sanding to get it to fit. Keep the integtal baffle. Note that since this is designed for a piston, AT does not include the cooling mesh. You can stuff a piece of chore-boy in the MMT if you want to.

2, Use the piston to reinforce the tail. The way the fins are set on the body, you will bung up the tail after a few landings.

3. Paint it as stock and fly it with a Redline. Looks cool...

A

I managed to grab one from Great Lakes Hobbies when they were having their "special" for $50 -- I've never seen anyone come close to that price again. I haven't built mine yet but I plan to go piston-less and reinforce the rear for the reasons already mentioned.

Back