Aerotech RMS sorbitol

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxckitralph

Reaction score
Has anyone casted their own grains of sorbitol fuel and used in an aerotech case. IS this possible? I'm more interested in making my own propellant rather than purchasing theirs.

I make APCP reloads for Aerotech hardware. Still need all the inert parts. Sorbital burns much cooler so you may be able to use cardboard liners, reusable steel nozzles etc.

Just remember, Aerotech cases use a linear compression of the o-rings when the closures are tightened down. The length of the liner and a square cut on each end can be critical to good sealing. If you buy the liners with the other inert parts, you can probably get multiple burns in the phenolic liners.
Good luck.

Just remember, Aerotech cases use a linear compression of the o-rings when the closures are tightened down. The length of the liner and a square cut on each end can be critical to good sealing. If you buy the liners with the other inert parts, you can probably get multiple burns in the phenolic liners.
Good luck.
There is a washer or seal disk for the O-rings to seat against. The closures are shaped to spread the O-rings for a seal. The liner length IS important.
Static test of N1000 in 98/20480 case. The liner barely survives this burn.

There is a washer or seal disk for the O-rings to seat against. The closures are shaped to spread the O-rings for a seal. The liner length IS important.

I bet the liner and probably most of the nozzle was gone after that burn. Very, very cool.

What propellant? Did you get pressure reading from that burn? It looked really regressive.

What propellant? Did you get pressure reading from that burn? It looked really regressive.
It was a D grain. Think M1939 then a tail off to 0 over the next 10 sec. It is my own 68-10 propellant. I get a delivered Isp of 192 in a D grain, 220 in a Bates grain. No instrumentation. Just to make sure it works and the Aerotech style liner survives (it did).

I bet the liner and probably most of the nozzle was gone after that burn. Very, very cool.
Liner was barely enough but came out OK. Standard Al seal disk was undamaged. My chad temp indicator (couple wraps masking tape) was not discolored and peeled off clean. Aerotech nozzle. I don't reuse them even with fast propellants.

Aerotech nozzles are single use even with cooler burning sorbitol. At least the 38mm nozzles are cheap.

https://www.jamesyawn.net/
Jimmy Yawn has a whole section on his (older)website dedicated to reloading Aerotech 38mm hardware.
He has a novel way of making propellant that does work for him.

Back