AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but I don't think a load developed for the RMS 38/720 motor would be considered milspec or military surplus. Unless there is a other I600 out here that was mil surplus. Also, I imo redline wouldn't be good candidate for a mispec propellant. It doesn't store well. Also if it was milspec, you would be paying a lot more for it.

Then why would Karl say otherwise ?

I could be wrong, but I don't think a load developed for the RMS 38/720 motor would be considered milspec or military surplus. Unless there is a other I600 out here that was mil surplus. Also, I imo redline wouldn't be good candidate for a mispec propellant. It doesn't store well. Also if it was milspec, you would be paying a lot more for it.

You do know the DOD bought AT 98mm and 75mm cases and reloads from AT. That is why after the fire CTI started making reloads that would fit in AT cases, as there was a DOD need for them.

Doing some searching I see a lot of references that the I600 was designed for bowling ball lifting event at LDRS. Basically a J420 with cores enlarged to bring the TI to a full I. I don't see any reference it was developed for any gov contract's. That doesn't mean it wasn't, maybe the bowling ball event was a covenant cover story. nor does it mean the gov hasn't used them "off then shelf".

Doing some searching I see a lot of references that the I600 was designed for bowling ball lifting event at LDRS. Basically a J420 with cores enlarged to bring the TI to a full I. I don't see any reference it was developed for any gov contract's. That doesn't mean it wasn't, maybe the bowling ball event was a covenant cover story. nor does it mean the gov hasn't used them "off then shelf".

I suggest you ask Karl...he would not make stuff up...

You do know the DOD bought AT 98mm and 75mm cases and reloads from AT. That is why after the fire CTI started making reloads that would fit in AT cases, as there was a DOD need for them.
I bet we (taxpayers) paid several times what hobbyists pay. Scott Dixon (Vulcan) told me the DOD paid him 10x what he could sell the same motor to us. There are a lot of additional paperwork requirements. When I ran CIC, we had to charge a 100% fudge factor while commercial customers got 15%.

I bet we (taxpayers) paid several times what hobbyists pay. Scott Dixon (Vulcan) told me the DOD paid him 10x what he could sell the same motor to us. There are a lot of additional paperwork requirements. When I ran CIC, we had to charge a 100% fudge factor while commercial customers got 15%.

I recall Scott and vulcan smokey sam motors; guess what they were use for for the DOD

I could be wrong, but I don't think a load developed for the RMS 38/720 motor would be considered milspec or military surplus. Unless there is an other I600 out here that was mil surplus. Also, I imo redline wouldn't be good candidate for a mispec propellant. It doesn't store well. Also if it was milspec, you would be paying a lot more for it.
I’ll ask Karl what he meant by that.

The I600 is a large core J420 that was developed for the bowling ball launch at the Geneseeo LDRS. I placed third behind Derick Deville then Geoff Elder. Unless Gary says otherwise.
It was indeed designed for the bowling ball loft contest as it was a detuned J420R. However, Karl says that It was also used by several mil/gov entities for projects, such as China Lake, also other mil ops tried it early on for Smokey Sams.

@AeroTech
Where can I find assembly instructions for the High Power RMS motors? I want to review the instructions before the launch but I don't want to break the seal on the package until I'm ready to fly.
Thanks!

I just now read this post, so there was zero bias. I had a conversation earlier today with a guy who said precisely the same thing. They figured out what the job would cost a typical commercial customer and multiply by 10 and send the bid. They won a lot of government contracts and their business was not in a niche business. Your town probably has one or two companies doing the same thing, just not doing the proper paperwork to be able to bid the government jobs. But the government jobs weren't 10x as profitable, they did require so much special handling that they made better money than on generic jobs, but it took way longer and many more man hours to handle all of the detail requirements. I know the same from personal experience. . .

I just now read this post, so there was zero bias. I had a conversation earlier today with a guy who said precisely the same thing. They figured out what the job would cost a typical commercial customer and multiply by 10 and send the bid. They won a lot of government contracts and their business was not in a niche business. Your town probably has one or two companies doing the same thing, just not doing the proper paperwork to be able to bid the government jobs. But the government jobs weren't 10x as profitable, they did require so much special handling that they made better money than on generic jobs, but it took way longer and many more man hours to handle all of the detail requirements. I know the same from personal experience. . .
I worked at a govt. facility for 30+ years. I talked to a contractor that was building decorative walls and flower beds around the front entrance. He told me he didn't want the job so bid it so high he was sure he wouldn't get it, but he did.

He did a good job. 20 years later, everything still looked really good.

AeroTech/Quest is honored to be a Gold Sponsor of the FAI World Spacemodeling Championships (WSMC) that will be held July 1st - 8th in Austin, TX. Good luck to our U.S. rocket team members and to all the international flyers from around the world. This is the first time in nearly 30 years that the WSMC is being held in the United States. For more information visit: https://www.nar.org/site/wsmc-2023/
Internats-Logo-Color-Final.png

Is there any way to estimate the delay length if I put the delay element from a 38mm I1299 warp nine into an I600 redline? The red was missing its element, and I don't think our vendor is expected at the launch tomorrow.

I just need 8 seconds - and may decide to forego the black powder and just go with electronic ejection. The motor is for redundancy.

Is there any way to estimate the delay length if I put the delay element from a 38mm I1299 warp nine into an I600 redline? The red was missing its element, and I don't think our vendor is expected at the launch tomorrow.

I just need 8 seconds - and may decide to forego the black powder and just go with electronic ejection. The motor is for redundancy.

Somewhere there used to be a RDK matrix that said what delay worked in which motor. Or maybe I’m thinking of things that don’t exist for $500 Alex…

I may be missing something here, but I believe the I1299 Warp Nines are all plugged.

@Charles_McG I have this file - can't confirm if it's still valid, but I've used it to match up delay elements with motors. Hope it helps. I think if you have a .610" plastic element you're in good shape. You can cut or drill as you need from there.

Attachments

• aerotech_delay_lengths.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Back