AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If true to the original, don't forget the payload weight or it will be unstable on the Fs. Found out the hard way in 1971 with the kit and an F67-14.
Mine went unstable & did sky circles on an E24(?) but flew great on the F67-14. No payload weight needed. Unfortunately, I lost it in 2001 on an AT F25. Out of sight, never found :(

Perhaps motors of similar total impulse but more manageable average thrust.
I think that 10,000N is actually a manageable amount of thrust. The N10,000 was barely an N motor in terms of impulse, and I never really heard of it shredding rockets. It would be really cool for Aerotech to make a proper replacement for it.

The O25,000 would be very cool to replicate, but I doubt it would ever be more than a very niche product, just because of how much it would end up costing.

I know in the past you've mentioned being hesitant to do longer motors with fast burning propellants, because the core sizes have to be increased so much that you start to lose impulse. I think that most people (myself included) only care about the crazy high thrust that those motors are capable of, and the total impulse is very much a secondary concern.

I just stumbled across the thread with the K62N certification test. I think it’s pretty neat that end-burners are such an active area of development. I’m anxious to see if any fly at ROCstock and other big events.

It got me wondering though, is it a great logistical challenge to support so many offerings? Currently I count at least a dozen different propellant offerings and a plethora of cases, liners, nozzles, and other components, across 15 different total impulse ranges (16 if you count the stockpile of MicroMaxx). It seems like it must be a Herculean challenge to keep all the stuff in production and in the supply chain, much less develop more.

Or are there some unique traits of the products/hobby/industry/company that make this a little bit easier to manage than one might think?

We tested a brand new RMS motor today, an N4000W-PS in a new RMS-98/20480 case! This White Lightning propellant motor generated 18,540 N-sec of total impulse, 5,320 N maximum thrust with a 4.6 second burn time. The motor was developed for collegiate teams competing in the 30,000 foot altitude event at IREC. A formal product news release with additional information will be made available later this week.

View attachment 561987
View attachment 561988
View attachment 561989
View attachment 561990
View attachment 561991
View attachment 561992
View attachment 562086
Is that little motor in the bucket the igniter? :)

I just stumbled across the thread with the K62N certification test. I think it’s pretty neat that end-burners are such an active area of development. I’m anxious to see if any fly at ROCstock and other big events.

It got me wondering though, is it a great logistical challenge to support so many offerings? Currently I count at least a dozen different propellant offerings and a plethora of cases, liners, nozzles, and other components, across 15 different total impulse ranges (16 if you count the stockpile of MicroMaxx). It seems like it must be a Herculean challenge to keep all the stuff in production and in the supply chain, much less develop more.

Or are there some unique traits of the products/hobby/industry/company that make this a little bit easier to manage than one might think?
Yes, it is a huge challenge for us as a manufacturer, and for our dealers as well. It is the reason we put about 50 motors on seasonal production last year. The only thing that mitigates it, is that a good number of products share similar parts and raw materials.

It was the inevitable result of stiff competition after 2001 that compelled the manufacturers to create myriads of products for market differentiation purposes.

The hobby rocket market is nowhere near large enough to really support the current variety of motors without putting significant financial stress on manufacturing, inventory and distribution.

It's a new, slightly shorter case, sized for 8 traditional grains.

Where might a feller get the datapoints to build a thrust file for his OR? Or a thrust file complete?

Did y'all mess with the nozzle for this motor in any special way?

DANG! It's 2.3 inches too long for my 5" rocket.... What's a fella to do? I don't think there is a clause in my Wildmans oath to cover this...

Short piece of body tube, shorter piece of coupler tube.... Add some press fit nuts and screws... Instant motor upgrade extension.... Paint it a contrasting color. :D

Last edited:
That’s the total length from the end of the nozzle to the end of the forward closure.
Do you happen to have the length from the bottom of the aft closure to the top of the forward closure? Gotta make sure it'll fit in my Punisher 5 as I'm building it

Where might a feller get the datapoints to build a thrust file for his OR? Or a thrust file complete?

Did y'all mess with the nozzle for this motor in any special way?

Short piece of body tube, shorter piece of coupler tube.... Add some press fit nuts and screws... Instant motor upgrade extension.... Paint it a contrasting color. :D
TCTracer no longer works on my Mac or Windows, so I can't send you the .eng file. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the Excel data file.

The only thing we did to the nozzle was to machine it to the proper throat diameter.

Looks like I may be extending a rocket in the future as well. I got TCTracer to work, I've attached my 67 data point .eng file. I'm not submitting it to thrust curve because its my first time doing this and it shows an extra 200NS (Whats a couple of hundred newton seconds among friends?)

Attachments

• 20480.eng
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Looks like I may be extending a rocket in the future as well. I got TCTracer to work, I've attached my 67 data point .eng file. I'm not submitting it to thrust curve because its my first time doing this and it shows an extra 200NS (Whats a couple of hundred newton seconds among friends?)

Gimme a little time and I will make a motor file WITH AeroTech's data and all the headers, options, etc. filled out.
I'll get it proofed, then submit it.

Back