AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerotech ,
I received a SU 54mm K535 for Christmas and have a couple question . Why is the K535 a 5 grain motor when the K550 is a 4 grain motor , but has less total impulse / propellent weight then the 4 grain reload?
Thank you

Thicker case on the DMS cuts the ISP vs a Reload. Edit: just ignore this, I got it wrong.
Aerotech , I received a SU 54mm K535 for Christmas and have a couple question . Why is the K535 a 5 grain motor when the K550 is a 4 grain motor , but has less total impulse / propellent weight then the 4 grain reload? Thank you
] . .

Last edited:
Aerotech ,
I received a SU 54mm K535 for Christmas and have a couple question . Why is the K535 a 5 grain motor when the K550 is a 4 grain motor , but has less total impulse / propellent weight then the 4 grain reload?
Thank you
The K535 is a 3 grain motor which compares to the 1280 case. The K550 is aprox 3 in. longer than the K535.

K535W is a four grain motor, just like the K550W. In fact, the K535W is the single use version of the K550. Fly them side-by-side, expect the same results. If I remember correct, they are the same grains...both "standard" White Lightning, same length and core size.

Minor variations may exist...or may simply be a product of change over time: IE: the K550 was first certified/tested decades ago, whereas the K535 was first certified within the last few years. New people at Tripoli TMT, NAR S&T, different equipment, K550 single throat nozzle vs. medusa, etc.

Nevertheless, both 4 grain standard White Lighting motors. Again, fly them side by side and expect similar results given that the other variables are constant. Yes I've flown both; no I can't objectively tell the difference in flight profile and performance. Both great motors; which to me are functional equivalents. :)

K535W is a four grain motor, just like the K550W. In fact, the K535W is the single use version of the K550. Fly them side-by-side, expect the same results. If I remember correct, they are the same grains...both "standard" White Lightning, same length and core size.

Minor variations may exist...or may simply be a product of change over time: IE: the K550 was first certified/tested decades ago, whereas the K535 was first certified within the last few years. New people at Tripoli TMT, NAR S&T, different equipment, K550 single throat nozzle vs. medusa, etc.

Nevertheless, both 4 grain standard White Lighting motors. Again, fly them side by side and expect similar results given that the other variables are constant. Yes I've flown both; no I can't objectively tell the difference in flight profile and performance. Both great motors; which to me are functional equivalents. :)

Thanks Eric for the explanation. I do not have the motor in hand ( I'm picking it up from the vendor at the field ) yet so I'm going off what I've seen online . I simply assumed ( I know , stupid ) last night that it was a 5 grain because RCS sells a 2 , 3 , and 5 grain Su motor kit .

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates/170652/myimages/k535w-14a_rcs_asembly.pdf
Explain this

If I remember correctly the K550 uses standard White lightning propellant (8225W) and the K535 uses a high solids version of White lightning (8625W). The K535 is approximately 14 inches long and the K550 is approximately 17 inches long.

Thanks Eric for the explanation. I do not have the motor in hand ( I'm picking it up from the vendor at the field ) yet so I'm going off what I've seen online . I simply assumed ( I know , stupid ) last night that it was a 5 grain because RCS sells a 2 , 3 , and 5 grain Su motor kit .
The 5 grain EMK is what the L1000, K455, and K850 uses. The 3 grain EMK is what the K535 and J450 uses.

My concern about the Jet Hitch isn't so much the vehicle but what else will people strap it onto, bicycles, skateboards, roller skates etc, the K motors 100lbs of thrust or whatever it is (I don't remember), on one of those items would be interesting to say the very least. If Aerotech is targeting the business sector for pyrotechnics, exhibitions then a method of controlling the purchase of these "motors" needs to be in place. Also as a number of people have pointed out, without modifying the case diameter so it doesn't fit in standard rockets there's absolutely no reason to buy your reloads at a far higher cost when (unless flying NAR/TRA events) you can fly a K for $69. As for them not having thrust rings or delays, so what the thrust rings an easy fix, and the delay isn't necessary with electronics.

Our biggest concern is that irresponsible individuals will buy these and since they ARE rocket motors and do things that give this hobby a bad name, undoing all the things we have fought for years to protect.

Rich Harshberger

Edit: As to the other issues such as the website, and the lack of a comprehensive "motor matrix" (Karl Baumanns term), I sent an email earlier this week about all that, and Karl was gracious enough to return an email pretty quickly.
What the heck, JetHitch????
What an asinine idea. Everything about this product screams moronizm.
Nothing good can come from this.
However I feel our pleas are falling on dead ears likened to playing piano for the cows.
Normally I would be fearful of stepping on toes but this is such a dangerous and stupid idea, I dont care who gets offended.
This needs to be removed in all it's forms from public view and any chance of availability.
I am sick to think of all the efforts and expenditures over the years promoting our hobby as safe and sane plus the years long battle with the ATFE now at risk due to the stupidest idea ever.
This sounds like a skit on Saturday Night Live.

What the heck, JetHitch????
What an asinine idea. Everything about this product screams moronizm.
Nothing good can come from this.
However I feel our pleas are falling on dead ears likened to playing piano for the cows.
Normally I would be fearful of stepping on toes but this is such a dangerous and stupid idea, I dont care who gets offended.
This needs to be removed in all it's forms from public view and any chance of availability.
I am sick to think of all the efforts and expenditures over the years promoting our hobby as safe and sane plus the years long battle with the ATFE now at risk due to the stupidest idea ever.
This sounds like a skit on Saturday Night Live.
The JetHitch idea was dead an buried 7 years ago.

Back