AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'd love to fly 5 and 6 grain stuff in my CTI hardware, but the 4 grain stuff should still be great as well.

Looks like I'll need to purchase a forward seal disk, for those who have used them, is it worth spending the extra $20 to get the stainless steel one? Is it easier to clean? The only other Aerotech stuff I've previously flown was 38 MM and besides some anodizing fading, the aluminum seal disk in that case seems to be doing fine...
It's worth to get the stainless disk if you ever plan on flying any of the motors that require it. My logic is buy once cry once and then you don't have to worry about it. Only downside is that it's quite a bit heavier if that matters to you

My first 98mm reload torched the aluminum seal disc. Won’t have that problem ever again with the SS. Sure the 98mm SS seal disc weighs almost exactly 1 pound. But unless you’re flying 98mm minimum diameter, it’s worth the weight penalty. Plus no anodizing to scratch if you get medieval on your cleaning method…

Man...MSRP of a 1706 reload is now 142.99. Even BMS pre-order price is now over 100. I remember when you could get a K550 for 60 bucks.

Priced me right into EX. I can't purchase or won't purchase anymore 38mm and 54mm motors. Been helped to stay in the hobby by generous friends who both give and share in the costs of motor making. I am eternally grateful to them more than I can say. Almost $200 for a K motor (when adding in shipping) is crazy. No way. There are a number of good simple EX formulations out there. I still love AT, but can't afford it anymore.

1990 a K250 was a steal at $200 :) Aerotech Js were $130, Vulcan Js were $110. When the K550 came out, it was $80.

So, i just want to throw this out there. I have pretty much flown Aerotech motors for the last 30 years. I did get some of Jerry's motors, still have most of them. Every one of his that i tried had some sort of issues. I did fly a lot of Kosdon stuff because he was always coming up and asking what was i going to fly and he would hand me something and say "fly this instead". Inevitably, the RSO or LCO would call me up to the flight line and give me a stern look and say "really?"
I attended launches that were just a handful of guys and of course Frank. I really miss that guy...flip flops and his crazy hair.
That being said, Aerotech motors have been super reliable all these years. I'm also very grateful that they have been able to supply us with a great number of options. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a supporting user. (i still think that dude in that one add was flipping the bird! ;0)

Is anyone having issues with the 18mm D20-8s? We were trying to fly one of my son's rockets yesterday...the first one in the package wouldn't light, the second one blew the nozzle out. The rocket went about 20ft in the air and fell back down to earth. No damage to report, just a bit disappointed.

Powderman

Is anyone having issues with the 18mm D20-8s? We were trying to fly one of my son's rockets yesterday...the first one in the package wouldn't light, the second one blew the nozzle out. The rocket went about 20ft in the air and fell back down to earth. No damage to report, just a bit disappointed.

Powderman

The first motor just needs a new ignitor. Please share pictures of the second motor if you still have it.

The first motor just needs a new ignitor. Please share pictures of the second motor if you still have it.
I assumed the first just needs a new ignitor - not real happy that I need to go buy additional ignitors.
I do have the second motor, I'll share a pic this evening.

I assumed the first just needs a new ignitor - not real happy that I need to go buy additional ignitors.
I do have the second motor, I'll share a pic this evening.

Welcome to composite motors . They are alot more precise then BP motor when it comes to ignitor placement. If the ignitor is not all the way up the core , not just past the nozzle like a BP motor . Pictures of the second motor will tell what happened. It sounds like a engetic chuff .

Welcome to composite motors . They are alot more precise then BP motor when it comes to ignitor placement. If the ignitor is not all the way up the core , not just past the nozzle like a BP motor . Pictures of the second motor will tell what happened. It sounds like a engetic chuff .
Yes, I understand the differences between BP and composite motors. I have a TRP L2 certification, most of my flying has been with RMS reloads. Most recently with J570s in the 38/1080 case.

Yes there are a number of reports of issues with the C and D White Lightning Q-jets. My feeling is it's the "softer" clay nozzle not holding up to the higher impulse kick of the white lightning. I thought maybe I was damaging the clay installing the igniter or with the "heat shrink" retainer.
But last weekend I blew out another nozzle. This was prepared for flight VERY carefully.
Here are photos.
20211010_112350.jpg20211010_112401.jpg

I've flown a lot of Q-Jets but haven't seen this nozzle thing (though I've had other "interesting" things happen). Is this happening only with the White Lightning Cs and Ds (C18, D20) or is it also happening with C12s and D16s? Just curious.

Added: I should have read the prior post a little more carefully....my answer is there.....

Last edited:
Had a Pontiac Trans-Am. Chevy still makes the Camaro. This is a 1981, the last year of this body style. I had it from 1981 until 1999.
TA02.JPG

Like in the M1780, G80 and the G138. It’s a high solids, higher Isp version of BT. Nothing currently in the works for 54mm but we’ll consider it.
It seems slower, too, which gives me hope for 54/2560 (54/2800?!?!) versions whereas I hold no hope of seeing blue thunder in those cases.

Sorry, my side-eye gaze and sarcastic tone definitely do not translate to text :)
I use emojis when I want to express sarcasm: the winky ;) or the upside down smile 🙃 . Sometimes the text tag - [SARCASM] some snide remark [/SARCASM]

Works for me.

Man I remember how good those long front hangovers looked.. seems like such a short time ago, now they have that classic bell bottom vibe.
Continuing to mess up Aerotech's open thread (it ain't supposed to be THIS open...!), I had a nice 2003 Limited edition Grand Prix in midnight blue black metallic that went very nicely for 186,292 miles plus before I sold it; my daughter still has her black 2002 Trans Aim Ram Air, loaded out, and just over 20K miles. Still don't know how GM managed to kill of such a good brand; it must have taken some dedicated and focused mismanagement. That TA is awesome looking IMHO.

This may have been posted somewhere already - I did a search but couldn't find anything:

Is there a list of all the propellants that require the stainless steel forward seal discs?

Back