AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is grain bonding required for this motor?

Honestly, I can't remember. I have gotten into the habit of grain bonding all motors that are 54mm x 4-grain and above. I grain bond those motors when I buy them, then tape the ends off and vacuum seal the whole assembly with the nozzle in. When it comes time to use it, I tear open the vacuum seal and assemble the motor.

Looking forward to that one, was hoping to fly the M1955DM two years ago in my GLR Nuclear Sledgehammer, instead I flew a M1550R, cool..but not as cool!

I think that is why I had it on the list for Airfest, bring the casing so I might get the chance to fly it. Love those Dark matter loads, was planning on flying the N2220 DM this year, but somebody planted milo in the field....

Now it's an N3000 Redline in my Ultimate Darkstar, named......

wait for it......

"Redline"

.266" is 17/64". Use a 17/64" drill bit to drill out a .180 nozzle. If you plan to do a lot, get a carbide tipped drill. The nozzle material wears down HSS bits in a hurry.

Don't use HSS bits, Use Cobalt Steel bits, they last a LONG time and are much cheaper than carbide bits which are actually terrible, they grab and break easily. Not suitable unless you are using a lathe, which is overkill.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/material~cobalt-steel/

Has anyone at Aerotech looked into mixed propellant motors that aren't dual thrust? Both of the other brands have motors that combine red and blue propellants for some very pretty flames. A combo of Redline and New Blue Thunder might be especially pretty.

Has anyone at Aerotech looked into mixed propellant motors that aren't dual thrust? Both of the other brands have motors that combine red and blue propellants for some very pretty flames. A combo of Redline and New Blue Thunder might be especially pretty.
I’m sure it’s been discussed. It’s not a priority for our projects right now.

This is how both ignitors came out of the Aerotech Econojet F23-4FJ package that I bought from the Wildman, at Bong, Wisc on 08/29/21. This is one of the issues that many have spoken about concerning Aerotech ignitors.

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_140548344.jpg
    IMG_20210906_140548344.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20210906_140526927_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210906_140526927_MP.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210906_140512596.jpg
    IMG_20210906_140512596.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
This is how both ignitors came out of the Aerotech Econojet F23-4FJ package that I bought from the Wildman, at Bong, Wisc on 08/29/21. This is one of the issues that many have spoken about concerning Aerotech ignitors.
What was the lot code on the motors? I’m curious as to why there are three pictures of the same igniters. Is there something different about them in the photos?

Were they packaged in the short paper tube? Were they like that in the tube or did the material come off as you removed them? Or was the coating already loose in the package before you opened it?

If you contact customer service they will send you replacements. FYI these igniters are now being dipped in a protective coating to make them more durable.

From reviewing the sales history with that vendor, those motors appear to be at least two years old. The packaging banging and bouncing around for thousands of miles in vendors' trailers doesn't help matters either.

They were loose in the package, no cardboard tubes! The package had not been opened and then resealed! I will mention to the Wildman about your comment.
All of us that fly rockets are happy to have our vendors drive thousands of miles, so that we can buy your products. With out them there would be no hobby rocket industry. I will supply your customer service lot code. Greg Olson PS I sent the three photos of the ignitors that I took. One was out of focus and I wanted to show the ends of your ignitors!

They were loose in the package, no cardboard tubes! The package had not been opened and then resealed! I will mention to the Wildman about your comment.
All of us that fly rockets are happy to have our vendors drive thousands of miles, so that we can buy your products. With out them there would be no hobby rocket industry. I will supply your customer service lot code. Greg Olson PS I sent the three photos of the ignitors that I took. One was out of focus and I wanted to show the ends of your ignitors!
I didn’t mean that comment to be derogatory to Wildman or any other dealer. It’s just a fact that on-site dealers subject the product to far more vibration, handling and temperature extremes than brick and mortar stores. We are very happy to have our on-site dealers as well.

This is how they are supposed to be packaged:
0FC7A5C2-853D-482C-9155-83E61C158307.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else interested in such a motor?
Can never have too many Dark Matter motors. I hope you can get the M1955 figured out. A 54/426 would be awesome as well as 75/2560 and 3840. The L1250 is one of my favorite motors. I have 4 in my stash!

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else interested in such a motor?

I'm not sure I see the point in having a DM reload for the 54/426 or 54/852 cases. The 38/720 I327DM sits nicely in that zone. However, a DM reload for the 1280 case might make sense, and fill a gap in the DM line (a mid- to large-J). I would love to see a DM reload in the 75/2560 case, as well.

I don
I'm not sure I see the point in having a DM reload for the 54/426 or 54/852 cases. The 38/720 I327DM sits nicely in that zone. However, a DM reload for the 1280 case might make sense, and fill a gap in the DM line (a mid- to large-J). I would love to see a DM reload in the 75/2560 case, as well.
I don't have a 38mm case yet😥

[/QUOTE]

Some people prefer larger diameter to length.
Some prefer to not use a adapter .
Some would like a thrust profile more then 2 seconds.
A DM in the 426 would most likely never happen as the average thrust would be around 70 ns and total ns would be 370 ish.
A single grain moon burner for the 1280 case though , that would be fun.
I also would like 2 and 3 grain 75 mm DM loads as well as FJ loads for the same cases.

Some people prefer larger diameter to length.
Some prefer to not use a adapter .
Some would like a thrust profile more then 2 seconds.
A DM in the 426 would most likely never happen as the average thrust would be around 70 ns and total ns would be 370 ish.
A single grain moon burner for the 1280 case though , that would be fun.
I also would like 2 and 3 grain 75 mm DM loads as well as FJ loads for the same cases.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but a Big Daddy or FatBoy with a 54/426 Dark Matter would be frickin awesome! Same for either with one in the 54/852 case.

Back