AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1.

Having a G-reload for 24/60 case might even justify buying that hardware.

Aren't those OOP ?
Are they coming back?

a
The G110 SU and G55 SU are long OOP, I doubt we will see them again antime soon. As for a 24/60 case G motor that probably is impossible due to the volume of the case being to small for the required volume of propellant.

Regarding my D20-4W that chuffed, I haven't heard back from Karl since last week Tuesday. I left a message with customer service. I'm hoping he's trying to figure out what's going on with the motors.

The 24/60 case was redesigned to be more robust. I wonder if a longer version of the case would work with the same end closures.

Would love to get my hands on some more G110 and G55 24mm SU motors. Anyone know where I can find thrustcurves or .eng files for them (I know they are long OOP).

THIS!

I'm not sure how they'd compete with the CTI 24mm G motors, but I absolutely love these buggers.

I have flown a G110 and a G55 in an Estes Mini Fat Boy - and I absolutely LOVE IT!

I have been buying these up any chance I can get. Think I have about 8 total... I'm a little shy about burning them, but I love burning them.

Wonder if they could be released under the Quest brand?

THIS!

I'm not sure how they'd compete with the CTI 24mm G motors, but I absolutely love these buggers.

I have flown a G110 and a G55 in an Estes Mini Fat Boy - and I absolutely LOVE IT!

I have been buying these up any chance I can get. Think I have about 8 total... I'm a little shy about burning them, but I love burning them.

Wonder if they could be released under the Quest brand?
I have two of each left and hope to fly them during the TRA Research portion of Sod Blaster 3 aka SodBlaster 2021

Bad Aerotech Liners​
AeroTech has discovered that a small number of 54mm RMS reloads were shipped with liners that were cut about 1/4” too short. This may result in a CATO and destruction of the rocket.

A K480W reload was recently identified by a customer as having one of the the short liners. Here are others that could be affected:

K375

K700

K1275

K1103

If you or any of your customers have received any of these reloads with the corresponding lot numbers, DO NOT use the reload and email Karl Baumann immediately at [email protected]. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Regarding my D20-4W that chuffed, I haven't heard back from Karl since last week Tuesday. I left a message with customer service. I'm hoping he's trying to figure out what's going on with the motors.

Karl called me back. He said they have a number of military contracts that have been on hold and now they want the product immediately so they're very busy.

He said it could be a weak initiator and to use a wire to score the inside and try again. I think I'll try it again in the Estes MR. If it blows up, then I've still got the Boyce MR. I'll have to wait for a low wind day which should be any year now. :p

Question on the plug for the 54mm closure. I'm using a 54mm floating closure, and installed the plug as per the picture below. The delay o-ring doesn't fit, so I assembled with the delay spacer only. First time use - is this the right way?

On a side note - K805G-PS is sold as plugged motor, but comes with delay grain? Confused.

1627484133093.png

Attachments

• 1627484130601.png
    1627484130601.png
    698 KB · Views: 3
Would be pretty much impossible to fit a G motor (80 Ns of impulse) in a 60 Ns case.

Maybe so, a 133% output over the rating.

Unless you’re Loki Research’s magician Scott Kormeier. His K-627LR motor wrings 1,518 N-s out of the 38-1200 case (126.5%) and the M-1378LR squeezes 5,363 N-s from the 54-4000 (134%).

Gotta love that Loki Red!

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

Bad Aerotech Liners​
AeroTech has discovered that a small number of 54mm RMS reloads were shipped with liners that were cut about 1/4” too short. This may result in a CATO and destruction of the rocket.

A K480W reload was recently identified by a customer as having one of the the short liners. Here are others that could be affected:

K375

K700

K1275

K1103

If you or any of your customers have received any of these reloads with the corresponding lot numbers, DO NOT use the reload and email Karl Baumann immediately at [email protected]. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I posted this in the other thread about this, but I should have posted the question here:

@AeroTech What is the tolerance on the liners? I checked all my liners and I found one that is 1.5mm short. Is that within tolerance?

It is a K1103X lot # 01062104

Okay, so this liner is off by 1/16", I assume that I should not fly it then?

For everyone's benefit, wanted to relay that I got a call from Karl from Aerotech and he said I can use one of the brown fiber discs on top of the seal disc to make up the 1/16" gap. Makes sense. He is sending me a couple discs. Good solution and quick response from Aerotech.

The charge is the black powder. Other is just a delay grain. If it's a plugged forward closure there is no ejection charge.

I thought so to..... until I opened my two K480W-Ps to check the liner length. Aerotech kindly included the 4f. 20210729_145937743_iOS_LI.jpg20210729_145906777_iOS.jpg

Note to Aerotech: Not complaining at all :) - I just use that to start one of my ejection charges so it saved a little 4f from my own inventory. I was just surprised since I remembered other "-Ps" don't typically get the 4f.

For everyone's benefit, wanted to relay that I got a call from Karl from Aerotech and he said I can use one of the brown fiber discs on top of the seal disc to make up the 1/16" gap. Makes sense. He is sending me a couple discs. Good solution and quick response from Aerotech.
I think I'd rather they just send a replacement liner.
I know those phenolic liners are expensive but that's not your issue.

I think I'd rather they just send a replacement liner.
I know those phenolic liners are expensive but that's not your issue.

Unfortunately, I had already bonded the grains to the liner. This is a good solution for this case and makes sense. If I hadn't bonded the grains already, I am sure they would have had no problem sending me a new liner.

From now on, I plan to check all the liners before grain bonding/assembly.

Unfortunately, I had already bonded the grains to the liner. This is a good solution for this case and makes sense. If I hadn't bonded the grains already, I am sure they would have had no problem sending me a new liner.

From now on, I plan to check all the liners before grain bonding/assembly.

The big thing you need to do is...make sure you feel the orings compress as you tighten the closures. If you don't feel like they are sealing correctly...you can add a 1.990" fiber washer to the top of the aluminum seal disc. https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/Washer_1990_/p1577809_7823725.aspx this should get you back to within specs..

Tony

Back