AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas on what may have caused my motor case to buldge on the forward end? Loaded with a J350W, same as I always do. I carefully removed all the pieces to ensure I didn't miss something, but I can't see that I loaded anything wrong. Any feedback would be appreciated

I recently had the same things happen with an H180W. The motor performance seemed normal and it was a good flight but there was a distinct bulge just below the forward closure. The black FSD, used many times and still black, was also kind of a copper color. It was one of the plastic bagged reloads, not a new one, and it was not an Aerotech case. I'd love to know what the cause was.

I recently had the same things happen with an H180W. The motor performance seemed normal and it was a good flight but there was a distinct bulge just below the forward closure. The black FSD, used many times and still black, was also kind of a copper color. It was one of the plastic bagged reloads, not a new one, and it was not an Aerotech case. I'd love to know what the cause was.
The H180W doesn’t use a forward seal disc.
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/cu...gs/29mm_hp_rms/29-240/29-240_h180w-m_assy.pdf

F52C Classic Enerjets now in stock and on the shelves!
View attachment 465998
View attachment 465999
I've only used one Classic propellant motor, a K400. Worked fine. I did notice very little smoke. Other than that are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the Classic propellant?
Blue Thunder propellant for example is easier to light and is good for clustering compared to White Lightning.
Normally I prefer White Lightning propellent with all but cluster applications.
How does the Classic propellent compare to the other propellants?
Thank you.

I've only used one Classic propellant motor, a K400. Worked fine. I did notice very little smoke. Other than that are there any advantages/disadvantages to using the Classic propellant?
Blue Thunder propellant for example is easier to light and is good for clustering compared to White Lightning.
Normally I prefer White Lightning propellent with all but cluster applications.
How does the Classic propellent compare to the other propellants?
Thank you.
Ignitability is midway between WL and BT
Higher Isp than both
Density slightly higher than BT, but lower than WL
Similar insensitivity to moisture as BT

Whose case was it?

It's a Dr. Rocket. I got it used and used it a lot, as the 29/240 reloads are a great line. I flew a lot of 180's and 210's for many years. I'm just curious about what might have caused it. There was a lot of heat on that one. I had a red plastic cap over the end of the forward closure as part of plugging it and it was melted and almost black, and fused into the knurling and had to be cut off. They have always been completely intact after a flight.

So...quick question (long post, sorry) of people have flown the production versions of the new 24mm Q-Jets...Any fit issues? I have minor issue with some that fit fine for the most part. Then get very tight for the last 1/8-1/4". So I tested a bunch of retainers, and motor tubes, from the build box; with a bunch of Q-Jets, and couple of Aerotech 24mm motors. Photos show where motors stopped when slid into mounts. Same part used for both motor photo's, so not differences in parts, only motors.
No issues with Estes 29->24 adapter. (Not sure how long it will hold up to heat from the recessed nozzle. But they are inexpensive). Also no issue with Estes 24mm screw on retainers.
20210615_103327.jpg
20210615_105044.jpg20210615_105137.jpg
Most issue was with Mach1 24mm fiberglass MMT (50% didn't seat at all), Aeropack retainer and Aeropack 29->24 adapter. (I have 3 Aeropack adapters, and almost all the Q-Jets would get tight right at the end. To the point a few would not seat at all )
20210615_103416.jpg20210615_105355.jpg20210615_105451.jpg
I will look into sanding the ID of the parts, or peeling part of the motor labels. But wanted to see what others have run into.

So...quick question (long post, sorry) of people have flown the production versions of the new 24mm Q-Jets...Any fit issues? I have minor issue with some that fit fine for the most part. Then get very tight for the last 1/8-1/4". So I tested a bunch of retainers, and motor tubes, from the build box; with a bunch of Q-Jets, and couple of Aerotech 24mm motors. Photos show where motors stopped when slid into mounts. Same part used for both motor photo's, so not differences in parts, only motors.
No issues with Estes 29->24 adapter. (Not sure how long it will hold up to heat from the recessed nozzle. But they are inexpensive). Also no issue with Estes 24mm screw on retainers.
View attachment 469556
View attachment 469554View attachment 469555
Most issue was with Mach1 24mm fiberglass MMT (50% didn't seat at all), Aeropack retainer and Aeropack 29->24 adapter. (I have 3 Aeropack adapters, and almost all the Q-Jets would get tight right at the end. To the point a few would not seat at all )
View attachment 469561View attachment 469562View attachment 469563
I will look into sanding the ID of the parts, or peeling part of the motor labels. But wanted to see what others have run into.
The motors were designed to fit Estes and Quest motor mount tubes. The cases are slightly larger diameter at the nozzle end (by only a few thousandths of an inch) due to the pressed nozzle. There shouldn’t be enough heat to damage the Estes adapter, the clay nozzle doesn’t conduct heat very well and the burn times are relatively short. Hopefully if part of the paper label is peeled off it will completely fit into that Mach 1 fiberglass tube and the Aeropack retainer.

The motors were designed to fit Estes and Quest motor mount tubes. The cases are slightly larger diameter at the nozzle end (by only a few thousandths of an inch) due to the pressed nozzle.
That is what I was guessing, but didn't see it anywhere. Thought this "heads-up" could help someone from getting a surprise at the flying field for other motor mounts...
Great motors...love the new options.

Props to AT on the new F52C. Feelz. Love the look and profile.

I’m old school as can be, and there is a special place in my heart for AeroTech, NCR, and LOC Precision.

Rock on brothers.

According to a manager at our local Hobbytown store, AeroTech composite motor sales are now equal with their black powder motor sales.

He was very excited to hear about the upcoming 24mm ‘D’ and ‘E’ Q-Jets and I anticipate they will be devoting significant display space for them.
View attachment 457711
Thanks. I am always wanting to support my local hobby shops and will pass this on to them.

Is there any possibility of some of the more unique KBA motors to be turned into normal RMS or DMS motors? The L2300 and M3500 especially seem like really cool motors that I never had the chance to fly.

I'm curious about the timeframe on the availability of the K76. I've got a very special project in the works for LDRS and the K76 would be the perfect motor for it.

I'm curious about the timeframe on the availability of the K76. I've got a very special project in the works for LDRS and the K76 would be the perfect motor for it.
Unsure. Trying to find an alternative liner that would provide more case thermal protection.

Just acquired a new RMS 29/120 motor along with a G79 and G77 reload. Any plans on releasing the G80 and G78 and possibly your sparky formulas to that case? Also, couldn't the G25 be made usps shippable by cutting the grain in half and requiring the grins to be epoxied together? Just some thoughts :).

Trying to find an alternative liner that would provide more case thermal protection.
Just a thought, have you looked at formed Mica sheets. They may be fexible enough to roll into shape in the soft state, once they are heat cycled they become brittle, but motor liners are single use, so that dosen't matter. We use them on a couple of products for thermal/electrical isolation of high wattage hesters.

Is there any possibility of some of the more unique KBA motors to be turned into normal RMS or DMS motors? The L2300 and M3500 especially seem like really cool motors that I never had the chance to fly.
M3500. One of my all time favorite motors. I have burned at least 5. I have my last KBA load loaded ready to go. A M1450. A Dark Matter load for that case would be awesome. Please Gary, do this!

M3500. One of my all time favorite motors. I have burned at least 5. I have my last KBA load loaded ready to go. A M1450. A Dark Matter load for that case would be awesome. Please Gary, do this!
The KBA loads were dropped for lack of sales. We have no plans at this time to bring them back or introduce new ones.

Just a thought, have you looked at formed Mica sheets. They may be fexible enough to roll into shape in the soft state, once they are heat cycled they become brittle, but motor liners are single use, so that dosen't matter. We use them on a couple of products for thermal/electrical isolation of high wattage hesters.
Haven’t tried that particular material, but I have used insulation in sheet form in the past. They usually have issues at the seams. The best materials are ablatives that decompose layer by layer, leaving small air gaps between the layers as they heat up. I would like to try a convolute wound phenolic-fiberglass tube if we can find one.

Just acquired a new RMS 29/120 motor along with a G79 and G77 reload. Any plans on releasing the G80 and G78 and possibly your sparky formulas to that case? Also, couldn't the G25 be made usps shippable by cutting the grain in half and requiring the grins to be epoxied together? Just some thoughts :).
No current plans. The G78 is a possibility but the G80 would be a hazmat reload because the grains are over 30 grams each. Also, certain configurations do not comply with our existing DOT approvals and would not make financial sense to get them tested and approved. Yes, the G25 grain could be cut in half for shipping but I’m not convinced we could expect the average ‘G’ motor consumer to bond them together correctly.

No current plans. The G78 is a possibility but the G80 would be a hazmat reload because the grains are over 30 grams each. Also, certain configurations do not comply with our existing DOT approvals and would not make financial sense to get them tested and approved. Yes, the G25 grain could be cut in half for shipping but I’m not convinced we could expect the average ‘G’ motor consumer to bond them together correctly.
Well you could just do a non haz mat version of the g80 by sacrificing some propellant. The rms 29/120 motor and loads are sold as high power motors even though technically they are not, bit those target audience should be smart enough to kno to glue the ends on. Especially if you put something on the grain that says epoxy this end :p. Stick a sticker on the packaging telling consumers that epoxy is needed for grain bonding for this reload. The G25 has been on my must fly list since you came out with it. Now that you got a case for it, the haz mat is my biggest setback :D

The best materials are ablatives that decompose layer by layer, leaving small air gaps between the layers as they heat up. I would like to try a convolute wound phenolic-fiberglass tube if we can find one.
Glass cloth/phenolic is G3. Only places I've found it it's a custom order.
https://www.knowbirs.com/phenolic-g-3https://laminatedplastics.com/g-3.pdfhttps://accurateplastics.acculam.com/category/g3-phenolic-fiberglassYou might even be able to use it for small DMS motor cases.

Back