AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historically, White Lightning has been AeroTech’s most popular propellant by a wide margin.
Hmmm....H123, H128, I205, J270, J350, M1297, and M1350 are most likely the most popular of the white loads is my guess, the reason being is those are the most common ones our club see's being used for cert flights.

I believe the K1103X
I'm planning on flying a K1103 in the near future; the instructions don't specifically mention the stainless steel seal disc. Is the standard seal disc just going to suffer a reduced lifespan from repeated firings, or would the steel one be necessary to ensure reliable operation of the motor?

Historically, White Lightning has been AeroTech’s most popular propellant by a wide margin.

Yeah, I'll say. Just pulled together a quick pivot table of my motor inventory to see what the spread of my AT stash is. I didnt realize WT was -that- high.. lol

1621249398143.png

I'm planning on flying a K1103 in the near future; the instructions don't specifically mention the stainless steel seal disc. Is the standard seal disc just going to suffer a reduced lifespan from repeated firings, or would the steel one be necessary to ensure reliable operation of the motor?
I would also like to know this as I have a K1103 as well. Almost flew it recently too.

Just bought a couple F52T reloads that came with copperhead igniters. Haven't seen copperheads for a while. Is AT shipping with copperheads again, was this old stock, or am I imagining things? It's not an issue, just wondering>

Just bought a couple F52T reloads that came with copperhead igniters. Haven't seen copperheads for a while. Is AT shipping with copperheads again, was this old stock, or am I imagining things? It's not an issue, just wondering>
Sounds like you were sold some old stock. I've gotten Copperheads that way from a local dealer myself. I throw them away in favor of either a homemade Quick Dip starter or a modern, reliable one from another kit or a package of Aerotech starters.

What's the date code stamped on the packaging? I'm told it's deciphered as MMDDYYBB on RMS reload kits, the BB part meaning the batch number.

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

You’re welcome, Dave. Good luck with ‘em. I have a low tolerance for aggravation, and the few times I’ve used them, Copperheads come loaded with it.

Good skies,

GlueckAuf

Definitely old stock. We haven't produced Copperheads for several years.

Recommended but not required at this time. The aluminum disk will have a limited lifespan.

I launched a J1799N this past Saturday. Is it normal for the anodizing on the seal disk to be mostly gone after just one firing? I bought it new that day and after the flight a good amount of bare aluminum was showing.

I launched a J1799N this past Saturday. Is it normal for the anodizing on the seal disk to be mostly gone after just one firing? I bought it new that day and after the flight a good amount of bare aluminum was showing.

Was that at TCR this lastcSaturday? If so now I gotta get me one....

The firing will bleach the dye but the anodize layer should still be there.

Was that at TCR this lastcSaturday? If so now I gotta get me one....
No, MDRA. I saw on the Tripoli FB group that someone else flew one elsewhere Saturday too.
The firing will bleach the dye but the anodize layer should still be there.
Ok. I plan to fly more of these motors so I guess I'll see how it holds up long term.

I believe the K1103X [recommends the SS seal disk]
Didn't see anything about that in the packaging of a fairly new reload a couple of weeks ago, date code 01062105. Maybe I missed it?

I would think the K2050ST might need the SS seal disk more?

No, MDRA. I saw on the Tripoli FB group that someone else flew one elsewhere Saturday too.

Ok. I plan to fly more of these motors so I guess I'll see how it holds up long term.

I flew one on Friday with a High School STEM team.
It went well. 12000' 85 G's 1.4 mach ..
Cool "punchy" motor..

Tony

Attachments

• 20210514_135856.jpg
    20210514_135856.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 26
I flew one on Friday with a High School STEM team.
It went well. 12000' 85 G's 1.4 mach ..
Cool "punchy" motor..

Tony

Nice. Mine was in a 3" diameter, 12lb rocket. Estimated 40Gs but won't know exactly till I am back home and can load in the data. I plan on doing it in a minimum diameter two stage as the booster for a longer burning sustainer motor. Estimated acceleration on that flight is near 100Gs.

Wonder what a warp nine load in a 54/1706 case would do. Have you tried that Gary?

Nice. Mine was in a 3" diameter, 12lb rocket. Estimated 40Gs but won't know exactly till I am back home and can load in the data. I plan on doing it in a minimum diameter two stage as the booster for a longer burning sustainer motor. Estimated acceleration on that flight is near 100Gs.

Wonder what a warp nine load in a 54/1706 case would do. Have you tried that Gary?
It would be a challenge to get the hardware to hold together.

I need to replace some misplaced (by me) o-rings. What material is used in Aerotech o-rings? They look like neoprene or Buna N. Are these acceptable materials? Thank you.

Looking at the special 38 mm forward closer for the end burning motors there is a
approximately 1" dia male threaded portion on the front of the forward closer.
can anyone tell me the purrpose?

Back