AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasted ? Why can you not make it work? Did you ask any other seasoned fliers or any of the very fine vendor that attended?
Please, take my word for it that I cocked it up. I am not assigning blame to anyone but myself. I won’t bore you with my resume, but suffice it to say I usually figure things out myself. Next time I may ask for advice.

So is this a problem?
img_20210411_155219447-jpg.459551
Please contact Karl at [email protected], he can help you.

Here's a pic of the same disassembled.
View attachment 459700
Top row all except the right most item is what was in the previous pic.
Bottom has casing and standard forward closure.
This is what it should look like assembled. Your delay O-ring appears to be the wrong size and I don’t see the forward delay spacer (rubber washer). What is the lot number of the reload kit?
9B93B6CE-C724-4840-BADB-92F2D89B5880.png

Hi, apologies if this is a silly question since I've only just returned to the hobby after years away...
<<snip>>
I am also returning to mid-power after many years (15 or so) off, and my question is more regarding the igniter installation in my 29/40-120 hardware using G64W reloads.

The instructions seem to indicate the igniter is pushed all the way in until it rests against the delay grain. I don't remember doing this back when I flew these years ago. Do the igniters REALLY go that far into the motor grain???

I am also returning to mid-power after many years (15 or so) off, and my question is more regarding the igniter installation in my 29/40-120 hardware using G64W reloads.

The instructions seem to indicate the igniter is pushed all the way in until it rests against the delay grain. I don't remember doing this back when I flew these years ago. Do the igniters REALLY go that far into the motor grain???
Between the forward end of the propellant grain and the aft end of the delay grain is fine.

Between the forward end of the propellant grain and the aft end of the delay grain is fine.
Not to be picky or argumentative, but isn't that saying the same thing as "inserted all the way in until it rests against the delay grain"? If there is a difference in the two, I'd just like to know what it is so I have a greater level of confidence that I haven't done it wrong when I go fly for the first time in 15+ years.

And that brings up another question... What would be the result if the igniter was only pushed in to around the middle of the fuel grain? Are we talking a failure to fire? Improper thrust curve? CATO???

Thanks again; LOVE my AeroTech products!

Last edited:
This is what it should look like assembled. Your delay O-ring appears to be the wrong size and I don’t see the forward delay spacer (rubber washer). What is the lot number of the reload kit?
Ok, I'm now starting to make some sense of this...not having the proper parts would definitely explain anything out of spec/unusual. I had received this ~6 years ago from a former rocket club head who owned a hobby store he was liquidating and I purchased the H129W (Medium delay) motor in a lot. I checked the discarded bag and there was a piece of masking tape over the corner which I didn't think anything of...I pulled it off and there was a hole! So while I'd like to think the owner would know better than to swap parts or just replace with a different one, but that seems to be the case. I suspect he put in a delay spacer and delay o-ring that was too large for this reload. There isn't a lot number, but the date inside the instructions note "JAN 19 1999"...apparently he had let the shop wither away for years. I'll see if I can find/buy another H129W Med delay (or similar) to determine the proper parts.

Not to be picky or argumentative, but isn't that saying the same thing as "inserted all the way in until it rests against the delay grain"? If there is a difference in the two, I'd just like to know what it is so I have a greater level of confidence that I haven't done it wrong when I go fly for the first time in 15+ years.
Many reloads have a delay grain spacer aft of the delay grain itself.

Ok, I'm now starting to make some sense of this...not having the proper parts would definitely explain anything out of spec/unusual. I had received this ~6 years ago from a former rocket club head who owned a hobby store he was liquidating and I purchased the H129W (Medium delay) motor in a lot. I checked the discarded bag and there was a piece of masking tape over the corner which I didn't think anything of...I pulled it off and there was a hole! So while I'd like to think the owner would know better than to swap parts or just replace with a different one, but that seems to be the case. I suspect he put in a delay spacer and delay o-ring that was too large for this reload. There isn't a lot number, but the date inside the instructions note "JAN 19 1999"...apparently he had let the shop wither away for years. I'll see if I can find/buy another H129W Med delay (or similar) to determine the proper parts.

H129 or H128??? There is no H129 for certified use. Here is a replacement for the delay: AeroTech 29mm Complete Reload Delay Kit CRDK29-01 [ARO CRDK29-01] - $3.99 : Sirius Rocketry Online Store, For the Serious Rocketeer!

And that brings up another question... What would be the result if the igniter was only pushed in to around the middle of the fuel grain? Are we talking a failure to fire? Improper thrust curve? CATO???

Thanks again; LOVE my AeroTech products!

Alot of the motors in the 29/40-120 case uses a spacer tube in front of the propellant grain ( E and F motors ) before the forward closure .

I am building a RMS F62T-14A reload in a 29/60 case, the delay that came with the kit is way to large and does not fit into the forward enclosure, what am I missing here. I have 2 of these with the same issue. This is not my first 29mm reload so not sure why this version is different.

I am building a RMS F62T-14A reload in a 29/60 case, the delay that came with the kit is way to large and does not fit into the forward enclosure, what am I missing here. I have 2 of these with the same issue. This is not my first 29mm reload so not sure why this version is different.
the diameter is too large? Or the length? A picture would be most helpful. Thanks.

(I posted this in the other thread, too)

In what dimension is it too large? Diameter? By how much? Do the delay grain and spacer fit into the delay liner, but that assembly is too large in diameter to fit in the forward closure? If that’s true, you may need to peel off one, thin outer layer of paper from the delay liner. Don’t force it.

Mark

The diameter is to big for the forward delay spacer, o-ring and insulator.

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 41
The diameter is to big for the forward delay spacer, o-ring and insulator.
It looks like you're trying to fit a 29 or 38mm high-power delay assembly into an RMS-29/40-120 forward closure. Completely different design, won't work. Different delay diameters, different sealing method.

29mm high-power RMS:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 8.38.11 AM.png
29/40-120 model rocket RMS:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 8.38.43 AM.png

Last edited:
I agree, you can see the difference in sizes from my other 29mm delay, bottom is what came with the F62T. What I don't understand is why Aerotech included this delay in the 2 X F62T CRDK that came with the kit?

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 23
I agree, you can see the difference in sizes from my other 29mm delay, bottom is what came with the F62T. What I don't understand is why Aerotech included this delay in the 2 X F62T CRDK that came with the kit?

What aerotech is saying is that the case you have(29/40-120) is not compatible with the F62 reload. The F62 reload ONLY fits in the 29-60 case. They are totally different cases. You have the hobby line 29mm case and you have a high power style 29mm reload.

If he has a 29/60 case then he definitely has the wrong forward closure for it. Maybe he has both and has confused the two closures but the 29/40-120 forward closure shouldn't even thread into the case because the threads are different. It could maybe be forced but it would definitely CATO.

That is the correct delay. You are using the wrong forward closure.

The F62T uses the RMS-29/60 high power style hardware, NOT the RMS-29/40-120 model rocket hardware.
29-60_f62t-l_assy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, the 29/60 case is new and never used. I was trying to use the 29/40-120 hardware on this case didn't know they where different. guess I will need to find the correct forward closure. Is there also a different aft closure?

Thanks, the 29/60 case is new and never used. I was trying to use the 29/40-120 hardware on this case didn't know they where different. guess I will need to find the correct forward closure. Is there also a different aft closure?
Yes, all parts of the hardware are different.

Part numbers? Are these correct 29MM STANDARD FORWARD CLOSURE Model: 60121 and 29MM AFT CLOSURE Model: 60129

Back