AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’ll be nice to have a high thrust E that’s not a full E. Sometimes the E28/E30 is a bit much for our small field. I’ve used CTI E22/E31, but they’re much more costly.

It’ll be nice to have a high thrust E that’s not a full E. Sometimes the E28/E30 is a bit much for our small field. I’ve used CTI E22/E31, but they’re much more costly.

Check out 24/40 case and E11J (slow and smoky) or E18W (faster initial thrust). Both are fun, but in a different way.
Or wait a few months for the new single use E26W, also in 24mm form factor. Or, if you want to slower, the good old fashioned E9.

Lots of great "low"-E choices in 24mm size!

The G25 worked well in the older paper-phenolic case design. We dropped the single-use G25 because we stopped using those cases and it doesn’t work well in the glass-phenolic molded cases. Yes, you could use a liner but that reduces burn time and total impulse. There is also the difficulty of achieving accurate pyro time delays with long burn motors.

When I was ~13, under supervision of my dad, I flew my Aerotech Mustang on a G25. That was an amazing flight. My favorite memories of '90s launches were Chad Ring of Ring Rocketry showing up to our launches with his car full of goodies for sale, then skipping right over the yellow tag AT motors/reloads and going straight for the bags of what I call "exotic" single use AT motors - G55's, G25's oh my! If I knew they were going to be discontinued/difficult to find these days, I probably would have figured out a way to stock up. Alas, no such luck.

I have four or five G55's left (really had to hunt these down the last few years), a G25, a few G110's, and two or three F55's. I have flown a G55 and G110 in an Estes Mini Fat Boy. What a hoot!

Attention AeroTech Dealers and Consumers,

From time to time we like to remind our AeroTech dealers and consumers to be sure that our Delay Drilling Tools (DDT's) are calibrated correctly after shipping or extended use. All DDT’s are calibrated in-house before they are sold to dealers or consumers. Occasionally, the drill bit will become loose or separate from the drill tool body during shipping or rough range box handling. The Calibration Instructions below are included with each DDT product. An incorrectly calibrated DDT can result in too long of a time delay and potential safety issue.

Thank you for your attention to this notice.

AeroTech Customer Service Team
Drill Tool Assembly & Calibration Process.jpg

So the "set lentgh" is the overall length of the RMS DELAY DRILL TOOL BODY. Here is the question is that tool something you sell, or is it only "in-house" and some "distributors"?

Ok kind of missed a important detail...LOL
I use DMS motors not RMS motors. (my kids are still very young and like to be around when I am doing rocket "stuff") RMS have to pay more attention than I can commit to right now with all the parts.
The drawing says you have to use the RMS tool body, but that it can set the Universal Drill lenght....if I am reading the note at the bottom right.

(My Universal Delay Drill Tool is not with me, or I would look at it closely...maybe i should wait to get more sleep before posting any more...)

The RMS delay drill tool body is 2.15” long. The knob and drill bit of both tools is identical, that is why you use the RMS tool body to calibrate them.

Did you really ask that? It's common knowledge this device is available from all retail locations

Did you really just post that? The dumbest question is the one not asked. The dumbest thing to do is come down on someone who is asking to learn something they don't know.

Your reaction was a bit snide and unnecessary.

I stand by my post. I will help a newbie all day long, but there is such a thing as a stupid question. Are people really afraid to use common sense? Some things are just blatantly obvious.

I didn't mind... made me think about it again...I had only had 6hrs of sleep in 3 days...what my mind just jumped past was that the "tool body" for setting the drill was the "same tool body" as the RMS delay tool. (I don't have the RMS tool, only DMS tool. So the cross section didn't "click" as to what it was.) In my "fog" I thought it was a "different tool body" that was just for setting the drill length. I didn't realize on the RMS tool the drill is flush.

So while "blatantly obvious now", in the moment it was not. No-harm; no-foul, just information.

I stand by my post. I will help a newbie all day long, but there is such a thing as a stupid question. Are people really afraid to use common sense? Some things are just blatantly obvious.

How can it be common sense if it's not common knowledge. Not everybody has been flying since the invention of AP like some of us Jim.

OK, we finally got around to testing a new motor using the new RCS Aerospike nozzle AND the RCS head end ignition (HEI) bulkhead with the Triton Space Technologies low cost head end initiator also available from RCS. The HEI bulkhead was loaded with 5 grams of black powder. We used two grains from the K2050ST Super Thunder motor loaded in an RMS-54/852 case. The middle size (0.555" diameter throat equivalent) annular nozzle ring was used. We’re pretty happy with the way it turned out! Not vaporware, all off-the-shelf components currently available. The RCS HEI system can be used by Tripoli research flyers. The motor tested as a 625 N-sec I745ST. We plan on flying one at Red Glare next week.

4255BCC9-8AB7-485F-82BB-B893AE25A5AC.jpegA6237C27-4480-4605-BF00-F449F6581614.jpegCCC26161-1AA6-480F-BC6A-D948DDE69490.jpegC72CC784-FA56-4105-A57C-B2D7FFAF7DC6.jpeg31F87AC2-47FD-4ECF-94BA-F4B3B9371A8D.jpegEC4FAF98-5A75-4E0A-A2FF-7B0D27505D98.jpeg
View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

Last edited:
Wow! That is good news. Thanks for the update. I'm assuming that a user does not have to use the head-end ignition with the aerospike nozzle. You were just combining tests, right? Is the K2050ST a propellant with high aluminum? Do you think the nozzle can be re-used? What was the specific impulse?

Wow! That is good news. Thanks for the update. I'm assuming that a user does not have to use the head-end ignition with the aerospike nozzle. You were just combining tests, right? Is the K2050ST a propellant with high aluminum? Do you think the nozzle can be re-used? What was the specific impulse?
No, we were just killing two birds with one stone. Any nozzle will work. ;)

The Super Thunder propellant has a relatively low aluminum content, higher than Blue Thunder but far less than Propellant X.

I would not reuse the nozzle.

I have not measured the Isp but I'll try to find time to do that.

From time to time we like to remind our AeroTech dealers and consumers to be sure that our Delay Drilling Tools (DDT's) are calibrated correctly after shipping or extended use. All DDT’s are calibrated in-house before they are sold to dealers or consumers. Occasionally, the drill bit will become loose or separate from the drill tool body during shipping or rough range box handling. The Calibration Instructions below are included with each DDT product. An incorrectly calibrated DDT can result in too long of a time delay and potential safety issue.

View attachment 454866
The fact the you MUST have an RMS body to calibrate the "Universal" delay drilling tool is the most absurd thing I can think of as an engineer. How does this make sense? I only use DMS AT motors at this point and have no plans to go to reloads. (Head is about to explode....)

Recently we repeated an announcement about the potential need for customers to re-calibrate their AeroTech Delay Drilling Tools (DDTs) after shipping or extended use: the RDDT™ (Reload Delay Drilling Tool) for RMS™ reload kits and the UDDT™ (Universal Delay Drilling Tool) for DMS™ single-use motors. Though all DDT’s are calibrated in-house before they are sold to dealers or consumers, occasionally the drill bit will become loose or separate from the drill tool body during shipping, use or rough range box handling.

Until now, AeroTech’s calibration instructions called for the use of the RDDT tool body to calibrate both the RDDT and the UDDT, since they both use the same knob and drill bit. AeroTech had assumed that most if not all its customers also flew RMS reloads at least some of the time and therefore had the RDDT to use when calibrating the UDDT. After posting the most recent reminder announcement, a number of customers made it clear to us that they ONLY flew DMS single-use motors and did not have the RDDT needed for calibration.

Therefore, AeroTech has listened and responded to its customers’ comments and concerns and has created a new “UDDT Calibration Adapter” for use with the UDDT to eliminate dependence on the RDDT tool body for calibration. The adapter will be included with all new UDDT tools along with new instructions (shown below) that detail the proper use of the Adapter when calibrating the UDDT. There will be a small price increase for the UDDT which will bring it in-line with the price of the two (29+38mm & 54mm) RDDT tools.

In addition, AeroTech has posted an .STL file of the UDDT Calibration Adapter on the “Resources” page of its website for anyone who would like to 3D print the Adapter.

AeroTech understands that its DMS-exclusive customers may not have realized that another piece of hardware was necessary to calibrate their UDDT. For those DMS-exclusive customers, AeroTech will be happy to supply them a UDDT Calibration Adapter free of charge if they send an email to AeroTech customer service at [email protected], indicating that they ONLY fly DMS motors and that they would like a UDDT Calibration Adapter shipped to them. Please include your mailing address in the email.

UDDT Calibration Instructions.jpg
20210312_121252.jpeg
20210312_121336.jpeg
20210312_121350.jpeg

Back