AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got shipping notice for my C18's & D20's :p Now tracking shows its in Pre-shipment :) Let's see how long USPS takes for Utah to Ohio :rolleyes: ... But that is out of Aerotech's hands.
[ A priority mail shipment just took 2 1/2 weeks to get from Columbus, OH to Cleveland, OH :eek:. ]

@AeroTech
When will the H13, J99 and K76 be available to dealers? I have a large AT order(that I keep adding too of more AT motors) sitting with a vendor that has been fulfilled for months while waiting for the J99, K76 and H13 to become available so I can have those added to my order to be shipped.

H13's are already for sale... In fact AMW and Wildman were including them in their sales and product should already be on their way to those vendors based on FB posts that I've seen... I can't speak to in-stock availability, but the sales I mentioned were specifically preorder sales.

And the J99Ns are available. The K76WN has not been officially released yet. We literally sold out of the first production runs of H13STs...more are in production and should be shipped in a few weeks.
H13's are already for sale... In fact AMW and Wildman were including them in their sales and product should already be on their way to those vendors based on FB posts that I've seen... I can't speak to in-stock availability, but the sales I mentioned were specifically preorder sales.

I was wondering if AeroTech plans on updating the AeroTech & Quest master .rse/.eng motor files on the AeroTech website resource page? The current archives are tagged as being over 2 years old.

I was wondering if AeroTech plans on updating the AeroTech & Quest master .rse/.eng motor files on the AeroTech website resource page? The current archives are tagged as being over 2 years old.
I haven't found the motor manufacturers to be very much on top of this. The best option is to get RASP and RSE files on Thrustcurve for every in-production motor and then generate an RSE file by manufacturer which will give you a current file for Rocksim, which you can then imprt and replace the existing file. I've been trying to make sure there are RSE files out there for every Aerotech engine, which is what I fly the most.

You should be able to generate a current Quest RSE file on Thrustcurve for sure. The newest engines have all been added.

Last edited:
I haven't found the motor manufacturers to be very much on top of this. The best option is to get RASP and RSE files on Thrustcurve for every in-production motor and then generate an RSE file by manufacturer which will give you a current file for Rocksim, which you can then imprt and replace the existing file. I've been trying to make sure there are RSE files out there for every engine Aerotech engine, which is what I fly the most.

You should be able to generate a current Quest RSE file on Thrustcurve for sure. The newest engines have all been added.
Thanks for the info. It took awhile but I found the page on TC that had the .eng archives for all the manufactures at "https://www.thrustcurve.org/outbox/"

Mark Koelsch used to generate those for us. Since his passing a couple years ago, I’ve made some individual motor files but I have no idea how he updated the complete motor file.

Mark Koelsch used to generate those for us. Since his passing a couple years ago, I’ve made some individual motor files but I have no idea how he updated the complete motor file.
The most current aggregated Aerotech motor files are over on thrustcurve. https://www.thrustcurve.org/outbox/

Some of those files may be off because of changes since certification (e.g., E15) but in general they should be pretty close.

🙄 How do I delete all the non-current files out of open rocket? I know how to load new ones, but that just makes a lot of overlapping Aerotech listings.
Thanks.
Unfortunately, you cannot. At least not easily. The default motor files are built into the OpenRocket Jar file. How you can go about editing the Jar file, I haven't a clue. Sorry.

Unfortunately, you cannot. At least not easily. The default motor files are built into the OpenRocket Jar file. How you can go about editing the Jar file, I haven't a clue. Sorry.

Tobor you are quite right... NOT a simple task it turns out the thrustcurves are stored in the jar as a *serialized* java array list... so it's NOT really editable by hand... if you were to edit it and change it wrong (and the file being what it is, changing it by hand would be a bad thing), you break openrocket and openrocket wont start.

The main problem being the fact that the file with the curves is a "serialized" java object and you'd have to rebuild it correctly and that requires some java programming skills.

The file in the jar is called "thrustcurves.ser". As I stated, this is not quite your basic text file... it's a serialized representation of a java array list apparently and in order to redo it, you'd need reproduce what's done when the thing is built in the first place. A java guy could do it... since you can get the source code from out there (I think I got it from source forge or GitHub... I don't quite recall) on the web. I did that aeons ago (and there is no newer version than 15.03) and loaded it up into my eclipse workbench. I actually was able to build a new .ser file, dropping the AT C3.4 as an experiment... and then used 7-zip to drop it back into the jar file (yes 7-zip allows you to do that just google search 7-zip and make sure you get the one from 7-zip.org).

After all that, you're probably just going to want to live with the dead motors in the list :)

Tobor you are quite right... NOT a simple task it turns out the thrustcurves are stored in the jar as a *serialized* java array list... so it's NOT really editable by hand... if you were to edit it and change it wrong (and the file being what it is, changing it by hand would be a bad thing), you break openrocket and openrocket wont start.

The main problem being the fact that the file with the curves is a "serialized" java object and you'd have to rebuild it correctly and that requires some java programming skills.

The file in the jar is called "thrustcurves.ser". As I stated, this is not quite your basic text file... it's a serialized representation of a java array list apparently and in order to redo it, you'd need reproduce what's done when the thing is built in the first place. A java guy could do it... since you can get the source code from out there (I think I got it from source forge or GitHub... I don't quite recall) on the web. I did that aeons ago (and there is no newer version than 15.03) and loaded it up into my eclipse workbench. I actually was able to build a new .ser file, dropping the AT C3.4 as an experiment... and then used 7-zip to drop it back into the jar file (yes 7-zip allows you to do that just google search 7-zip and make sure you get the one from 7-zip.org).

After all that, you're probably just going to want to live with the dead motors in the list :)
Would be pretty cool if you could get with the standalone people and work an update....

Would be pretty cool if you could get with the standalone people and work an update....
My real hope is that the OR devs forgo the integrated database completely and have the installer create subfolders within OR's working directory for all the data files. But, that is a topic for a different thread....

research Big Nuke 2.jpg
Flew this last week with Tripoli Houston. It's a research AT 38/1320 Cocktail I made with components from RCS. Very fast burn, peak thrust and huge flame. No damage to RMS components. I was very pleased with the flight. I flew a Redline 38/1320 at Octobers launch with similar results but with a longer burntime.

Does anyone know what delay pack I need to get for the F63? It's a redline motor for the RMS24/60 case. I screwed up drilling the delay and need to purchase a new one. I did the other delay correctly, and really liked the motor.

GOT MY C18 AND D20 MOTORS...:D

But I do have a question... I noticed that some of the nozzles have partial, or full, blockages from something. "Flashing maybe" 4 are only partially blocked but you can see it is a significant reduction in area... and 1 has the opening completely blocked... (2 are D20-6W, and 3 are C18-8W)

Has anyone else seen this? C18-D20_Nozzle_Issues.jpg

Should I open the packs and "poke out" the restriction? or try to get exchanged? I know I can't ship back due to shipping regulations...

We will look into it tomorrow but in the meantime you should be able to clear out the flashing with a hobby knife or a 3/32" drill bit.

GOT MY C18 AND D20 MOTORS...:D

But I do have a question... I noticed that some of the nozzles have partial, or full, blockages from something. "Flashing maybe" 4 are only partially blocked but you can see it is a significant reduction in area... and 1 has the opening completely blocked... (2 are D20-6W, and 3 are C18-8W)

Has anyone else seen this? View attachment 443404

Should I open the packs and "poke out" the restriction? or try to get exchanged? I know I can't ship back due to shipping regulations...

Gary,

I'll be more than a little interested to hear the results of what you learn. Here are four C impulse Q-Jets. The one on the left is a beta White Lightning motor (my last C from the batch that Karl sent to test fly), made in August. The one on the right is a C12-6, made in April. The two in the middle are just-received C18-6Ws that I bought from Russ at FlightSketch, made in November. The nozzles on the C18-6Ws clearly have a smaller throat (about .080 inch) while the other two are right at 3/32nds of an inch.

I can certainly clear the new ones with a 3/32 inch bit, if that's the right thing to do. But I'd like that confirmed before I enlarge the throats, even if the other Q-Jet Cs have 3/32 inch throats. On the other hand, I don't want them to over pressurize....and I was hoping to fly a couple of them later this week, as it looks like we're going to have a break in the rain (and tonight snow) for a couple of days.

IMG_3761.jpg

tractionengines: I have seen Q-Jets with a little blockage like that before and have cleaned them out as Gary suggested, with the point of a #11 knife.

Thanks for info. I will be looking for response, too. I do see there are nozzle diameter differences. (Within the same model.) I will dig out the pin gauges and get a range of size measurements. I can't do this until Wednesday though.

There were some adjustments made in early production runs, but motors have been fired from each batch and all performed nominally. We will address the flashing issue in future production. Just poke it out and you should be OK.

Back