AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When using burnsim which numbers from the whitesheets do we use to get the correct representation? I notice when inputting certain numbers change when saving. I can't remember which one is the one to use. Any help?

When using burnsim which numbers from the whitesheets do we use to get the correct representation? I notice when inputting certain numbers change when saving. I can't remember which one is the one to use. Any help?
1604039155141.png

Aerotech, I have read thru a lot of posts, and see various bits of information... Can you please officially confirm the size of the BP ejection charges in the Quest motors. In another thread you posted the following quotes, but did not give what the size is. (I am not going to post values I have found in other posts, so not to give incorrect values; But will be watching for your response.)

"The -6 and -8 second delays have a smaller ejection charge to avoid damaging body tubes in the smaller rockets they are usually used in. The -4 second delays have a larger ejection charge because they are normally used in larger, heavier rockets. "

"Yes, it applies to the Black Max Cs and Ds and also the new upcoming WL versions."

Thank you.
Mike

They all have 0.25 gram ejection charges except the C & D motors with 4 second delays, which have 0.50 gram ejection charges.

Aerotech, I have read thru a lot of posts, and see various bits of information... Can you please officially confirm the size of the BP ejection charges in the Quest motors. In another thread you posted the following quotes, but did not give what the size is. (I am not going to post values I have found in other posts, so not to give incorrect values; But will be watching for your response.)

"The -6 and -8 second delays have a smaller ejection charge to avoid damaging body tubes in the smaller rockets they are usually used in. The -4 second delays have a larger ejection charge because they are normally used in larger, heavier rockets. "

"Yes, it applies to the Black Max Cs and Ds and also the new upcoming WL versions."

Thank you.
Mike

One more set of questions for a different rocket. For the 24mm & 29mm Standard Singe Use motors. I see a lot of references that they have 0.7grams in the ejection charge. Please confirm ?
Can the soft plastic plug be removed, and the PB charge "adjusted" on the Single Use type, or is that a "modification" and therefor against the NAR Rules?

The PB calculators are showing I only need 0.3 gram.

For ref. The rocket is a 1.6" Loc IRIS, (So 1.5" dia. ID, and 10" long parachute section with (1) 2-56 nylon shear pin.)

Last edited:
Yes, the larger mid-power motors include 0.7 grams of ejection charge. We have traditionally allowed experienced customers to adjust the ejection charge as needed for their particular rocket.

One more set of questions for a different rocket. For the 24mm & 29mm Standard Singe Use motors. I see a lot of references that they have 0.7grams in the ejection charge. Please confirm ?
Can the soft plastic plug be removed, and the PB charge "adjusted" on the Single Use type, or is that a "modification" and therefor against the NAR Rules?

The PB calculators are showing I only need 0.3 gram.

For ref. The rocket is a 1.6" Loc IRIS, (So 1.5" dia. ID, and 10" long parachute section with (1) 2-56 nylon shear pin.)

Are there any RASP or equivalent thrust-curve files for the H13? I'd like to sim a few rockets in OpenRocket with that sweet motor!

What are the theoretical limits of Warp 9 endburners? Some of my friends online have been making some silly 98mm endburners in Openmotor that then give absolutely absurd altitudes when simulated, on the order of apogees in excess of 500,000 feet.

I have launched 3 Q-Jet motors in my Estes MAV. The last two flights have resulted in a bulge in the case. Is this because the rocket has no motor mount tube? And, should I not be using these with this rocket because of this?20200915_081734.jpg

I have launched 3 Q-Jet motors in my Estes MAV. The last two flights have resulted in a bulge in the case. Is this because the rocket has no motor mount tube? And, should I not be using these with this rocket because of this?
View attachment 437343

I have flown well over 100 Q-Jets and I have had this happen to me twice. There is a batch of motor cases where this sort of thing happened from time to time. It's not because of the MAV's motor mount arrangement.

Get in touch with Aerotech directly and also please report these on motorcato.org.

These are not CATOs, but it could happen with the original casing material from the v.1 Q-Jets. It is also more likely to happen in a rocket with no tube around the motor.

I have flown well over 100 Q-Jets and I have had this happen to me twice. There is a batch of motor cases where this sort of thing happened from time to time. It's not because of the MAV's motor mount arrangement.

Get in touch with Aerotech directly and also please report these on motorcato.org.

The only limits to the motor are the nozzle and case insulation system. The rocket requirements include ensuring that the motor has enough thrust to lift it off the pad, and some ability to keep itself pointed in the desired direction.

What are the theoretical limits of Warp 9 endburners? Some of my friends online have been making some silly 98mm endburners in Openmotor that then give absolutely absurd altitudes when simulated, on the order of apogees in excess of 500,000 feet.

These are not CATOs, but it could happen with the original casing material from the v.1 Q-Jets. It is also more likely to happen in a rocket with no tube around the motor.
Well....the case didn't completely fail....so I suppose technically they aren't CATOs though clearly the case isn't supposed to do that. I have had one bubble like this (in my Astrocam on August 7th - another model that does not have a full motor tube) and one blow a hole in its side and the side of my model. That one was in a full motor tube and certainly qualified as a CATO.

Back