AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warp-9 + hot weather = BOOM. J1999 drag race at LDRS a few years back - IIRC - 10 of 12 catos.

Is there a particular reason for this?
Apparently there is a higher burn rate/temperature sensitivity of this propellant than most. Even before the J1999, it was a J2135, downgraded to the J1999 due to problems. Note there has been no problems with the 2 grain J1299.

What would the chances be of getting a -0 delay quest motor for staging to a traditional black powder motor? Has something like this ever been considered? It would be fun to do some18mm min dia two or three stage rockets starting with one of Aerotechs D 18mm motors staging to traditional black powder. I ask this not knowing what the grain geometry is like inside of their 18mm motors. If it's a slotted grain going to a delay element I could see how this might not work but if it's end burning configuration it could maybe work.

Q-jets are slotted grains open to the delay element. Therein lies the issue of composite direct staging.

Standard practice is not to reduce a delay below 4 seconds with an open grain to prevent chamber pressure rupturing the delay element. Q-jets dont have lower than 4 second delays.

Academically, I wonder if the 4 second restriction is necessary on such small motors, but the proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

Q-jets are slotted grains open to the delay element. Therein lies the issue of composite direct staging.

Standard practice is not to reduce a delay below 4 seconds with an open grain to prevent chamber pressure rupturing the delay element. Q-jets dont have lower than 4 second delays.

Academically, I wonder if the 4 second restriction is necessary on such small motors, but the proof is left as an exercise to the reader.

End burner could be a -0, but I can confirm slot-29's definitely do fail sub -4.

There's supposed to be a method of finely counterdrilling to achieve ooen-grain -2's, but I haven't gotten that to work.

It's due to physics... 4 sec = about 1/8" of delay propellant...less than that is not strong enough to hold the pressure of the propellant chamber just moments prior to burnout. It would blow thru early and inconsistently if drilled deeper or a shorter piece of delay material cut's cut length. Another point, since electronics are not six figure income toys anymore, you could use a timer for upper stage ignition, I think eggtimer has something that can do that.

It's due to physics... 4 sec = about 1/8" of delay propellant...less than that is not strong enough to hold the pressure of the propellant chamber just moments prior to burnout. It would blow thru early and inconsistently if drilled deeper or a shorter piece of delay material cut's cut length. Another point, since electronics are not six figure income toys anymore, you could use a timer for upper stage ignition, I think eggtimer has something that can do that.

That’s true, but the official burn time ends when thrust (proportional to pressure) is at 5% of what it had been. Burn time varies, so in some rockets it could be a quarter second or more longer than the “official” burn time. Delay grains burn much faster than 1/32” per second while the motor is pressurized, maybe five times as fast, so it’s possible that a motor could be just winding down when that four second minimum expires.

Either a Eggtimer Quantum or a Eggtimer Proton is capable of igniting a second stage.

I think the casings of those were getting too hot so they woun't be available for a long time if at all.

They did test fire a......38mm DMS H26ST-P endburner static test, 245 N-sec., 9.5 second burn....today.

Tony

I was wondering if anyone has tried to cut down the propellant grain in an 18mm D24 rms reload to get something more like C performance out of it? Making a new grain adapter spacer seams easy enough. Any experiance with this out there?

Back