AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, maybe, Wildman placed their order before other vendors so they got their order first.

Jay said some of his back orders are over 6 months old.

It's conceivable for sure... however I've spoken with vendors who've been waiting an awfully long time for their orders to get filled... Not to mention someone in our club did talk to AT about 6-8 months ago, and he claimed that the AT rep practically admitted it... I know, I know... heresay.... Unfortunately frin Occam's razor point of view, both explanations are pretty simple ;-)

Lets face it, a nefarious conspiracy theory is far more fun... either way it's not going to change my pov on the fact that I *prefer* AT to the competition. Like any good cheapskate... we want their stuff for the least amount of cash we can get it for, while they want to sell it for as much as they can get before people say "no way". That's the way it goes... human nature...

This is vendor #2 at Three Oaks to complain about the exact same thing. One vendor has quit the business because of it. So unless you want to call Jay and Bob liars I think we are past the point of nefarious theory.

This is vendor #2 at Three Oaks to complain about the exact same thing. One vendor has quit the business because of it. So unless you want to call Jay and Bob liars I think we are past the point of nefarious theory.

What my club colleague told me about his conversation with the AT rep was pretty amazing... let's just say I personally am suspicious. One vendor I spoke with used the phrase "AT is killing me!".

Guys we have almost everything in stock now.
29 ras is the last one that we have on back order I believe

Amazing... it would seem no dealer is immune to this.

And?

Tim just said "almost everything" is in stock.

Doesn't look like anything has changed for Impulse Buys.

I hope people no one is offended by my pointing out what is very obviously happening here and what happens in every sector of manufacturing. The big spenders often get preferential treatment. The little guys do not. I'm here whining because I am hoping someone will listen. But I doubt anyone will because I don't spend $300+ on all fiberglass kits and only buy a scattering of H, I and occasional J motors when it comes to HPR.

The good news is more and more people are getting into the hobby!!! Supply and demand.
No proof of that at all. This hobby is a burn the candle at both ends affair. People get in hot and heavy, buy a lot of stuff then fizzle away. Look at the for sale section. The AT stock issue has a lot to do with the CTI fire a while back or so I'm told. I am not sure AT was ready for the market shift back to them. One thing is certain, it will suss out in the end. Either the production will increase or people will stop asking.

I still want more 29mm loads. Been told they are coming for a long while. While the 29mm stuff is not as sexy and impressive as 54 and 75mm's, they are no doubt more popular with people starting out in the hobby. I want Metalstorm, Dark Matter and Super Thunders. Yup...I said it.

No proof of that at all. This hobby is a burn the candle at both ends affair. People get in hot and heavy, buy a lot of stuff then fizzle away. Look at the for sale section. The AT stock issue has a lot to do with the CTI fire a while back or so I'm told. I am not sure AT was ready for the market shift back to them. One thing is certain, it will suss out in the end. Either the production will increase or people will stop asking.

I still want more 29mm loads. Been told they are coming for a long while. While the 29mm stuff is not as sexy and impressive as 54 and 75mm's, they are no doubt more popular with people starting out in the hobby. I want Metalstorm, Dark Matter and Super Thunders. Yup...I said it.

I know one thing, most of the two clubs I fly with do not have a lot of pleasant stuff to say about AT. Almost all of them use CTI with relatively few exceptions... I'd guess 75/25 CTI/AT when it comes to APCP motors

Maybe you should be posting in the CTI thread

"I know one thing, most of the two clubs I fly with do not have a lot of pleasant stuff to say about AT. Almost all of them use CTI with relatively few exceptions... I'd guess 75/25 CTI/AT when it comes to APCP motors"

"I know one thing, most of the two clubs I fly with do not have a lot of pleasant stuff to say about AT. Almost all of them use CTI with relatively few exceptions... I'd guess 75/25 CTI/AT when it comes to APCP motors"

I'm part of the 25% - and like all statistics, (as I stated) it's a guess, and perhaps something of an exaggeration. But I *do* get/hear a lot of snippy comments.

Last edited:
Probably.

I'd guess 75/25 CTI/AT when it comes to APCP motors
Dunno about your 75/25 statistic. I fly at 3 clubs and we use whatever motor is available on site for sale. Sometimes we have AT vendor, sometimes CTI. I will take whatever I can get!

Maybe you should be posting in the CTI thread"

Probably.

Dunno about your 75/25 statistic. I fly at 3 clubs and we use whatever motor is available on site for sale. Sometimes we have AT vendor, sometimes CTI. I will take whatever I can get!

Sorry if I offended, it was not my intention to do so.

A lot of complaints get posted here... giving a guess as to what's going on at launches isn't really a complaint, and it's not intended as such. It is most definitely NOT an endorsement of any other product... it's just a guess, as I said, and perhaps a bad one at that. If I'm giving the impression that you should dump AT, that was absolutely not my intention. What I (apparently rather poorly) meant to illustrate was that

1) I see lots of other people prepping non-AT reloadables at the launches, and it *seems* to be most of the non-black powder flights.

2) My observation of supply issues (in this thread) and the like over the last couple of days, not to mention my own personal experiences with obtaining my
"motor fixes" is troubling to me and my concern is that it's driving people to go elsewhere.

3) I get poked at from time to time for my continued loyalty/use of AT motors... (ok so I'm whining about it)

My preference is the form and substance of Aerotech motors. It's starting to feel like my favorite products are getting scarce. it feels like there's some kind of problem. If you are trying to tell someone that it feels like there is a problem should you tell some other third party about it?

I'll shut up now...

Last edited:
AT needs money to replace all they spent on getting the low power motors to market. Looks like the HP flyers will need help foot the bill for it. The hardware now that I still can't understand. There are other motor makers out there and I hope a new one on its way soon.

We have been developing Q-Jets for 4 years. The price increase was in October of this year. There seems to be a large amount of time between your proposed cause and effect.

Yeah, I just looked at the new price list, too. There is a pretty big jump in the smaller motors, I also noticed that that are NO KBA motors offered.
I can still use my AMW 76/7600 case with a hubcap for the CTI reloads, but after I burn the 2 KBA 54-2550 loads that I have, what do I do with the case? Sigh.....

Phil L.

We just cleared all of the Kosdon from inventory, check with your dealer to see what they have. Also, all parts and components (even some of the propellants) for KBA/AMW are still available on the RCS website. The fact is Kosdon did not move at all for us and was using up much needed space.

The motors on the shelf were from 2012, the dealers agreed that the product line had matured and without being able to find the hardware even more so.

No way. For almost /maybe all, the smaller motors cost more per Ns than the bigger ones of the same propellant. That is reloads and single use. The winners for the most expensive cost per Ns are the Econo jets. $0.37 per Ns. They have to rename those. Like wise a K535 DMS goes for $0.15 per Ns. G64's go for $0.16 a Ns a K550 $0.08 per Ns. M1297 $0.05 per Ns I used to fly a lot of Econojets no more though. Don't understand why they are so high priced now: 2 F20's for $44.99, they can keep them.

The prices on hobbyline didn't go up. That includes econojets and economax. Not sure what you mean by "high priced now" when the price hasn't changed.

I just bought a used full set of 38-720 hardware. Sorry Aerotech if you want people to buy new hardware then please please keep up production levels. Oh I’m waiting on a replacement 38-240 casing complete set also to replace the new one I lost in Tampa this year.

You’ve got to go to
Three or four vendors to scrounge pieces for hardware to get a complete set right now from pieces. None of the vendors seem to have a complete set in stock.

Guys we have almost everything in stock now.
29 ras is the last one that we have on back order I believe

You should have those now also.

Lending more evidence to me that the big vendors are getting the red carpet treatment and the little guys are getting kicked to the curb. :(

Talked to Jay at Impulse Buys a week and a half ago and he still has AT stuff back-ordered months and months out. That's especially frustrating for me because he is now the only vendor thats going to show up to Three Oaks every month and I will not be able to do any sort of special order with him because he doesn't know if he'll ever get it in stock. I'm stuck with whatever he has already in inventory or buy from someone else and pay hazmat to have it shipped. I'd really like to support Jay because he's taking the time to come out to our launches but AT ain't making it easy. Oh well, guess that's how business is run. I could yell and holler about it but I doubt anyone will listen unless I spend thousands and thousands a year...

Right, because ignoring small dealers is a great way to build a business. Kicking them to the curb is a proven successful strategy.

Jay has very little on backorder with us and was just shipped on December 6th. We also ship first in first out. We also have to consider haz charges which dealers want to maximize in order to make a profit.

Just checked Wildman. The 38-240 complete set is in stock again. Thank you ATGM.

Pretty much every vendor has backorders with us. That includes the big guys.

"Nefarious"...sigh...

Sorry if I offended, it was not my intention to do so.

A lot of complaints get posted here... giving a guess as to what's going on at launches isn't really a complaint, and it's not intended as such. It is most definitely NOT an endorsement of any other product... it's just a guess, as I said, and perhaps a bad one at that. If I'm giving the impression that you should dump AT, that was absolutely not my intention. What I (apparently rather poorly) meant to illustrate was that

1) I see lots of other people prepping non-AT reloadables at the launches, and it *seems* to be most of the non-black powder flights.

2) My observation of supply issues (in this thread) and the like over the last couple of days, not to mention my own personal experiences with obtaining my
"motor fixes" is troubling to me and my concern is that it's driving people to go elsewhere.

3) I get poked at from time to time for my continued loyalty/use of AT motors... (ok so I'm whining about it)

My preference is the form and substance of Aerotech motors. It's starting to feel like my favorite products are getting scarce. it feels like there's some kind of problem. If you are trying to tell someone that it feels like there is a problem should you tell some other third party about it?

I'll shut up now...

We have shipped more product this year than the previous several years, not sure of your location but there are certain clubs that heavily use CTI and other clubs that prefer AT.

If you want to know if your dealer is being truthful I would recommend checking other dealer websites that display in-stock quantities.

We have had back orders over a year old
And?

Tim just said "almost everything" is in stock.

Doesn't look like anything has changed for Impulse Buys.

I hope people no one is offended by my pointing out what is very obviously happening here and what happens in every sector of manufacturing. The big spenders often get preferential treatment. The little guys do not. I'm here whining because I am hoping someone will listen. But I doubt anyone will because I don't spend $300+ on all fiberglass kits and only buy a scattering of H, I and occasional J motors when it comes to HPR.

Sorry, I can't let you continually spout off here without stating the facts. I don't know what it is you have on order with Jay, but he has been treated as well as all of our other dealers.

We don't view dealers as "big" or "small", they are all important to our distribution network and are all treated the same. I'm done commenting on this.

Those all require thousands of dollars of expense with the DOT in order to get new EX numbers. We want to offer those eventually, but until we get the new EX numbers we are limited.

I know one thing, most of the two clubs I fly with do not have a lot of pleasant stuff to say about AT. Almost all of them use CTI with relatively few exceptions... I'd guess 75/25 CTI/AT when it comes to APCP motors

Some people prefer the warranty process, what can I say.

Back