AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have outstanding warranty items from the other brand from 3 years ago...

I find that to be unacceptable, too. In 3 years since BAR, I've had 2 warranty claims from the other guy. BOTH times vendors stepped in with stock on hand and satisfied it on the spot. I have one claim in with AT becuse, of 3 vendors at the field that day NONE had stock on hand, been a year so far. Still waiting.

I find that to be unacceptable, too. In 3 years since BAR, I've had 2 warranty claims from the other guy. BOTH times vendors stepped in with stock on hand and satisfied it on the spot. I have one claim in with AT becuse, of 3 vendors at the field that day NONE had stock on hand, been a year so far. Still waiting.
I have handled all warrantied items I had stock on for both sides.

I was building an I59 motor Sunday evening at AirFest and discovered that I was missing a fiber washer. Planned on finding Charlie on Monday but I guess he left early. How do I report this and get a washer to finish this motor for a later launch?

The I59 calls for a single fibre washer because it uses the seal disc. Older versions that were pre-seal disc will have 2 fibre washers, the newer loads only have the one. Did your reload not have any?

Any word if the 54mm R.A.S. has been shipped out to venders. I'm still waiting since November. Seems a little unreasonable that these couldn't have been produced and shipped out by now.

They have been in and out of stock since then, you may want to ask your dealer.

Are you going back to the EZ closure for all 38mm RMS reloads? I'm very leery of the EZ delay assembly, after suffering a failure - I prefer to build my own delays with o-rings, and not rely on glue for the seal. If it fails, I can only blame myself :)

The EZ failures were a result of using epoxy to bond in the delays. We also saw similar issues on some of the DMS. Since we switched to a potting solution a couple years ago we have not had a single known issue.

I believe they are only using ez on the J520 and the others are staying with the current long delay.

Correct, we got the best consistency using the EZ setup on that motor. We are considering doing the 38mm US mailable line with EZ closures as well but not in any rush.

Why are we not able to order hardware direct from the AT webstore any more?
Yesterday a lost an Aerotech mustang and a 29/40-120 motor case. Today I started looking into replacing the case. I've also been considering retiring and replacing my Dr Rocket hardware. (there's nothing wrong with it, but since it's long out of production, I don't want to risk losing any of it)
Then I started noticing multiple online vendors that have most if not all of the Aerotech hardware listed as out of stock. So I found and started reading this thread from the beginning. This hardware issue has been ongoing since the beginning of the thread, for three years!

Is anyone else as frustrated by this as I am?

I'm beginning to question why I should replace my Dr Rocket hardware with Aerotech hardware when there is a MUCH less expensive option available (even considering the slightly higher cost of reload kits)?

We do not offer hardware on the website unless the dealers have it in stock. We understand the frustration and we have it under control. We currently have casings and afts but are waiting on the forward closures. The previous ones were out of spec just a hair and were rejected. We expect replacements in the next 7-10 days.

Who's manning the phones in your warranty department? I've waited patiently for over a month on a warranty claim and left 2 messages with no response. I've already contacted my vendor with all the info, and that information was forwarded to Aerotech.

We don't have a person "manning the phones" in the warranty department. You may catch him at his desk once and a while but your best bet is to leave a message. He is generally pretty responsive so I'm curious as to what the issue is. Who is your vendor?

Waiting on the same case as well. Was told last week that they are at the machinist.

Still waiting on 75mm RAS to become available. I can machine these in my own shop in about 2 hours or less and can have a vendor of mine at work machine likely a thousand sets in a few weeks including HC anodizing.

Not sure why these are so difficult to get....they are incredibly simple parts.

Your machinist could run 3 different parts? Incredible. What about 150 different parts? Let's do apples to apples. All 29mm HP and 75RAS will be in stock before Thanksgiving.

That's pretty unlucky. Who is your vendor?

View attachment 364097 View attachment 364096
Flew a Aerotech D15T on a scratch built 24mm MD rocket to about 1,400ft this weekend at HARA. Excellent motor for the radio beacon test flight on smaller models. It was quicker than the cameraman. Got some Ooo’s and nice flight from others for just a D motor. The H130W were also very nice as expected.

Thanks for posting! Looks like it got out of there in a hurry!

Went looking for a spare 24 and 29mm casing - no luck. They’ve have been backordered going on *years* locally.

I’m nervous to fly the casings I have i case I break or lose one and am left with a a bucketful of useless reloads.

I desperately want to give Aerotech all my hard earned money but they’re making it really, really hard.

Where have you been looking at? If you are claiming "years" I am going to need to know who you are ordering from.

Sorry, you've just not been looking very hard.
"Locally" means many different things these days, I assume you are referring to something smaller than North America?

The reason I state the obvious, is that I had bought multiple 24/29/36/54mm cases and RAS kits this year alone. Not all were in stock at the usual online sources at the same time, but between the following, both 24 and 29mm cases are available right now:
https://wildmanrocketry.com/
https://www.balsamachining.com/
https://www.csrocketry.com/rocket-motors.html
https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/hobby-rocket-motors-engines-hdw-36/hobby-rms-hardware-37/

Well, if you are not flying your reloads, and can't find how to order the motors, then how else are they supposed to take your money?
:D

a

I was going to mention the same thing. I know it sucks having to go through several vendors to find what you want at the right price. Vendors who have 29mm HP hardware on backorder will be loaded up by the end of this month.

I understand the supply and demand issue, but this has been going on for far too long for it to be simply too much demand and not enough supply.

Thanks to ATGM I got to fly the G71R prototype demo 29/40-120 reload today. Nice red flame, and a great little motor. FYI- unlike other loads in this case, this is two bates grains (center core), not a C-slot. Hopefully these are for sale soon!

Awesome, glad you got to fly it. Thanks for the feedback and (I think) a video.

So let's eat our suppliers. Treat them like crap and speak ill of them every chance we get. Pretty sure that will be in our best interest. Once we run AT in the ground, we can work on CTI. Then we'll set our sights on Loki. Sound good??

Got a good laugh out of that one grouch, thanks! We understand the frustration and will have it resolved ASAP. I can't be upset at people who want something they can't get on the open market. I have been there myself. Not all feedback is positive but it is all useful. Thanks again for the laugh.

The case thing is definitely frustrating. Over the last year I've managed to get a variety of 24/29/38mm cases, jumping through hoops, buying them slowly, paying WAY too much in shipping, buying spares and lengths I don't really need right now blah blah blah. But I got it done and I feel like things are basically under control. And now it's time to invest in 54mm... and I just don't want to do this again. So I just checked and my local vendor carries CTI, and that's probably what I'm going to do for 54mm. What a pain.

And I gotta say if I was talking to somebody getting ready to invest in cases I'd make it REAL clear EXACTLY what I had to go through to get a set of Aerotech cases. I wouldn't say 100% don't do it, but understand the true cost in time and money.

So do you guys really just think I should keep my mouth shut about that? Doesn't seem logical to me that somehow "badmouthing" them here - where they asked for feedback - is going to drive the company out of business versus just silently losing customers and them not knowing why.

You should definitely let them know the pros and cons of both sides. The cons for us are temporary, and I will leave it at that.

The plugged 29mm closure while nice to have is far from a necessity. I have one for over 5 years and haven't used it yet but won't get rid of it for love or money. Just grease the delay grain and you are done...instant plugged closure.

I have a decent collection of AT 38mm cases that I have been kicking around letting go. Not because I want to capitalize on a bad situation but because I don't fly 38mm motors much anymore and it seems that someone else should use them. Trouble is, once gone they can never come back and I might change my mind in the future and all.

All very pretty blue RT cases in the following:
38/120 Complete
38/240 Case only, needs closures
38/360 Complete (love that one)
38/480 Complete and the special end burner forward closure
38/720 Complete

To further rub salt in the wounds, only two have been flown and then only a couple times. Maybe one day I will get around to putting a price on them all....with single point shipping to boot!

While I generally agree there is a shortage of available cases, it bothers me to see AT getting throttled. I am not sure what's going on over there or anywhere for that matter. I just feel they have been very good to the hobby and hate to see the current situation on all sides.

I guess I feel like we are the only motor manufacturer with the brass to address any and all issues with our products/company in a public setting. If I am wrong a link would be nice, but I feel pretty confident stating that.

It occurs to me we don't need to beat Aerotech up on this thread. Aerotech seems to be dong a fine job beating themselves up with out our help. And we have tried to help, but most of our requests have gone unanswered. They have come out with a few new cool reloads, but we can't buy motor cases to fly them. How does that help us? What good is a supplier who does not supply?

If you are hungry for a hotdog, and go to the hotdog stand only to find he is out of hotdogs, how many times will you go back to him or how long will you wait for a hotdog, before you decide a hamburger sounds pretty good?

3 YEARS this thread has been going, not much has changed. Time to consider other options.

If you are claiming "not much has changed" then you are just not paying attention. Please pay attention before you add to the conversation. Thanks!

I guess I need to correct myself. I need a 29mm plugged, tapped forward closure. One that I can thread an eyebolt into. I do have a plugged closure and have used it a few times. However I really want (need) a tapped forward closure so that I can use my cases as my recovery harness anchor point. I refuse to modify a closure, for that would nullify the certification for that closure and render the assembly an EX motor, and even then I don't think I would be able to fly it because I did not manufacture the motor, but that's a different conversation for a different day.

We have them at the bottom of the list but they are on there. There isn't enough of a demand for them yet to put them to the top of the priority list but we do want to get there. We are also going to be adding tailcones (54mm and up) after several flyers have asked for them.

Hi Charlie,
Looking at the dates of prior posts I'm not sure you are still monitoring this topic. I used to use at lot of Aerotech single use 24 and 29mm motors. In the last three years the AT single use motors have been harder to find with each year harder than the previous. It got to the point where I have been using CTI reloads and phasing out AT. I keep past records of my purchases and noticed a 30% or more price increase of the F42 motor that I used to use a lot but not anymore. When I called AT customer support about prices and lack of inventory I got disrespectful replies. Even the new F67 series was no where to be found until recently. During shortages I noticed that suppliers with the highest prices had inventory.

Take Care,

Frank DeAngelo
NAR 82715
CMASS
MMMSC

Well Frank that is how supply and demand tends to work. If you shop at a discount dealer you will be waiting longer. I can't say it any clearer than that. We have not had shortages of single-use hobby line. Yes, prices have gone up but that is everywhere.

I am more concerned with you feeling disrespected by customer service, that is not acceptable.

Thanks Charles for all your efforts and help on a public forum. Love the new long burn H-motor and realize the casing gets a little hot for cert. Any plans to bring something similar to market? Also, any plans on a 29-180 DM or Metal Storm reload? I think that would be a "sweet spot" for a lot of folks wanting a sparky motor. H115 is great, but a reload would be awesome as well.

We have them at the bottom of the list but they are on there. There isn't enough of a demand for them yet to put them to the top of the priority list but we do want to get there. We are also going to be adding tailcones (54mm and up) after several flyers have asked for them.
I have a lovely brand-EX 38mm tailcone closure, a wonderful 29mm brand-C, and a tidy brand-EX 24mm. Love to see these options in just about every size.

Last edited:
There's more than a little bit of just plain griping here, about back-ordered inventory, etc. What has been unsaid, and really should be said, is that Aerotech products are really high quality. I've had a few dramatic CATOs and in-flight failures, many dramatic, more than a few self-inflicted, but I am a huge fan of the ATI reloads. I used them for my mid-power flights, I used them for my Level 1 and I will be using them for my Level2 and Level 3 certification attempts. The products are well engineered and well documented. My hat's off to Aerotech.

If you are claiming "not much has changed" then you are just not paying attention. Please pay attention before you add to the conversation. Thanks!

Not paying attention, really? What has changed? I just looked at one vendor, who has 7 29mm cases listed on his web site. 6 are sold out, along with about half of the 29mm accessories. Most of the 38m cases are in stock except one. Almost all of the 38mm accessories are out of stock.

Checked a second vendor, 9 out of 10 29mm cases, out of stock, 8 out of 9 38mm cases, out of stock.

I could go on and on.

When I lost a motor case a couple weeks ago, I could not replace it from any of the vendors I know about. Someone here on TRF saw my post and sold me one he had in stock, but it was a guy I had not heard of before. (thanks man, you know who you are)

Back