AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy question:
I don't have a forward "plug" closure for my 29mm casing. I don't want to use the ejection charge due to the rocket design and alternate ejection methods. If I don't put in the black powder but assemble everything else normally, will any hot jets or detrimental amounts of hot gases emanate from the forward opening?
There won't be a problem with hot gasses unless you have blow by. That's the only reason for a plugged closure. Just leave out the BP. You don't need to do any thing else. If you are worried about back lighting from the altimeter ejection charge, then use a piece of masking tape over the touch hole. Do put in the smoke grain!

AT:
I don't think your warranty email link works. It bounced on me today.
I did send an email to the customer service address and that didn't bounce yet.
Issue is my J800 package was missing the Delay O-Ring (1.17"X0.123"). I had wanted to use that motor at our launch on Sat. THX.

Edit: changed my to me
Please always contact customer service for these types of issues. They are on it and don’t monitor social media. 😊

View attachment 648817
Finally flew an I600 Redline. What an awesome motor, I get the hype now. Question: on disassembly I noticed the liner was completely split. Case and everything was fine and the flight was as expected compared to the sim. Is this typical since it’s kind of a harder hitting 38mm load.
Flew an I600 Redline that was 11 years old 2 weeks ago Saturday didn't have this problem. I didn't use motor ejection as the I600 was hard to light and sometimes it chuffs for a second or 2 and then takes off. So your delay starts on ignition and fires before apogee. SO electronic dual deployment was used. Couldn't find the delay O-ring so went without it because the o-ring prevents blow by and I used a plugged fwd closure. RRC2L did it's job and went to almost 2300 ft. Beautiful Red Flame when it lit and 180 lbs of thrust behind an 8 lb rocket, it WENT.

Update a few hours later....
I've already heard back via customer service and an o-ring is being sent out to me! That's customer service with a star!
What's the secret? I've been emailing several times since June 2 without a warranty response to my claim. 😐 (To be fair, someone responded right away that Karl was away on the road at LDRS, but nothing since.)

I was concerned about the Blue Thunder propellant since mine blew out both closures and wrecked my L3 build on its test flight with a fresh new K1100T. This included, case, both closures, a 54-75mm Aeropack adapter as well as the Aeropack retainer. Quite a lot of carnage.

My L3 advisor also said to me
"Yeah, Jxxx was set up next to me. His motor clearly had an issue like yours. Overpressure after coming up full power. Voids could to it. Did you contact aerotech?"

Jxxx at my club had an eerily similar cato to mine on his L3 test flight a month after mine and he used a Blue Thunder load too. Both boosted up, then had a strange blue flame below, then nothing, then BOOM (his flight on the left).
BT Cato 1.png
BT Cato 2.png

Another club board member who helped me with my test flight said he saw a third BT cato that same weekend Jxxx had his.

Jxxx got to talk to Karl at LDRS on 6/6 and got good resolution. I was planning to do the same the next day (Sunday 6/7), but Sunday was cancelled at LDRS due to weather.

My last warranty claim took over 6 months and I got a response only after a reminder email. :confused:

What's the secret? I've been emailing several times since June 2 without a warranty response to my claim. 😐 (To be fair, someone responded right away that Karl was away on the road at LDRS, but nothing since.)

I was concerned about the Blue Thunder propellant since mine blew out both closures and wrecked my L3 build on its test flight with a fresh new K1100T. This included, case, both closures, a 54-75mm Aeropack adapter as well as the Aeropack retainer. Quite a lot of carnage.

"Yeah, Jxxx was set up next to me. His motor clearly had an issue like yours. Overpressure after coming up full power. Voids could to it. Did you contact aerotech?"

Jxxx at my club had an eerily similar cato to mine on his L3 test flight a month after mine and he used a Blue Thunder load too. Both boosted up, then had a strange blue flame below, then nothing, then BOOM (his flight on the left).
View attachment 651603
View attachment 651604

Another club board member who helped me with my test flight said he saw a third BT cato that same weekend Jxxx had his.

Jxxx got to talk to Karl at LDRS on 6/6 and got good resolution. I was planning to do the same the next day (Sunday 6/7), but Sunday was cancelled at LDRS due to weather.

My last warranty claim took over 6 months and I got a response only after a reminder email. :confused:
Major Bummer!
As I said in my original post, I tried a couple of times with the warranty email and it bounced. The customer service email in their standard replies above worked. A couple of AT folks got right back to me. They are express shipping the missing delay o-ring to me so I could get it tomorrow before the launch Sat! Unfortunately, our AT vendor that usually is at our launches won't be there Sat, which I told AT. Otherwise, I'm sure Merlin Missiles would have helped me. BUT....your comments about the Blue Thunder bother me! I'm still planning to fly with the J800.

View attachment 651603
View attachment 651604

Did you see the king viper at LDRS on 3 K1100's? All three blew on ignition.

Honestly don't know. On ignition grains blew 50 feet or so into the air in multiple direction while burning.

And for 100 percent clarity , I do not know how many motors popped , but it never left the pad.
I found it in Braden's Members only LDRS 42 video at 52:30 (should be released to everyone maybe soon); however he zoomed out for the launch so it's not that clear. Looks like a mess though. :confused:

Left side B rack pad 1 or 2. Working on the video
I found it in Braden's Members only LDRS 42 video at 52:30 (should be released to everyone maybe soon); however he zoomed out for the launch so it's not that clear. Looks like a mess though. :confused:

Yes that is the one. I'm still at work (725 am started turning wrenches) but thank you for the confirmation.

My bad , it made it 35 feet or so, gotta be accurate

Last edited:
Left side B rack pad 1 or 2. Working on the video

Yes that is the one. I'm still at work (725 am started turning wrenches) but thank you for the confirmation.

My bad , it made it 35 feet or so, gotta be accurate
I saw one of the cases out at the Oasis lost-and-found. Both closures were ejected and the ends were flared out.

Did you see the king viper at LDRS on 3 K1100's? All three blew on ignition.

In a case like that, especially with a cluster, I'd be curious what kind of igniter (or augmentation) was used.

It's possible it was a motor issue, it's possible it was an assembly issue, it's possible it was an igniter issue. It's possible it was a combination of multiple elements.

-Kevin

Major Bummer!
As I said in my original post, I tried a couple of times with the warranty email and it bounced. The customer service email in their standard replies above worked. A couple of AT folks got right back to me. They are express shipping the missing delay o-ring to me so I could get it tomorrow before the launch Sat! Unfortunately, our AT vendor that usually is at our launches won't be there Sat, which I told AT. Otherwise, I'm sure Merlin Missiles would have helped me. BUT....your comments about the Blue Thunder bother me! I'm still planning to fly with the J800.
Just in case, inspect the grains carefully. I now do it as a standard practice.

Back