AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question on the L1256. I assembled one and the grains were fairly tight in the liner. I was bale to press them in by hand there is space for the seal disk and nozzle. Is a tight fit an issue? There could be some extra space between the grains beyond the space for the grain spacer o-rings. Thanks, Alex

IMG_1963.jpeg
Finally flew an I600 Redline. What an awesome motor, I get the hype now. Question: on disassembly I noticed the liner was completely split. Case and everything was fine and the flight was as expected compared to the sim. Is this typical since it’s kind of a harder hitting 38mm load.

So I was looking at the interior instructions for a AT K375 (through the unopened package). It mentions needing to buy 3000-6 phenolic liner. Is that needed as it appears to have a liner in the kit.. but without opening I can't tell for sure.. I know some of the older k motors didn't have the liner in the kit but this is a new kit... thanks for the help

So I was looking at the interior instructions for a AT K375 (through the unopened package). It mentions needing to buy 3000-6 phenolic liner. Is that needed as it appears to have a liner in the kit.. but without opening I can't tell for sure.. I know some of the older k motors didn't have the liner in the kit but this is a new kit... thanks for the help
If it is in the yellow tube - it has the liner. If it’s an older motor in a bag, the liner is separate.

Has Aerotech posted a print file (.STL or similar) for the thrust ring, for use with EMK's? If not, would you be able to do so?

Thanks!
The thrust rings are patent protected so we have not released the .STL files. The rings are available for sale on the RCS store (rocketmotorparts.com).

Love the ad. Will we see the Cybertruck at NARAM? :)

I guess it's time to ask again about the status of the two things I'm most looking for in the near term:

Is there any chance that B14Ts will be available for sale in, say, the next three or four weeks? If not, I guess I'll be using Estes B6s for B Eggloft Altitude at NARAM.

How's iLaunch coming? It would be cool to pick one of those up from Dane or whoever is going to be at NARAM.

Thanks for all the stuff you're doing for us and I know there is only so much that can be done in a given amount of time with the available resources. And I know what I'm most interested in is kind of off to one side of your main clientele, even in hobby rocketry. So now I'll try to go back to patient mode. 😉

Curiosity Killed The Cat... I gotta question for the resident Aerotech guy:

A fella on Y.O.R.F. had a 1997 vintage (date code 61270) F50-9 that he launched on 06-15-2024. The flight went great, but the delay was more like 17 seconds than 9 seconds.​
Another fella responded that it seems the composite propellant ages ok, but the delay element materials don't.​
Is there any logical science to that?​

A fella on Y.O.R.F. had a 1997 vintage (date code 61270) F50-9 that he launched on 06-15-2024. The flight went great, but the delay was more like 17 seconds than 9 seconds.​
Another fella responded that it seems the composite propellant ages ok, but the delay element materials don't.​
(As opposed to illogical science...)

I suspect a reaction between the metal and the oxidizer, or possibly between the metal and atmospheric oxygen. Not sure how that would reduce the delay burn rate, but it certainly sounds as though it does so. Perhaps the metal oxide formed in the reaction is an inhibitor, just like fluorides used in the big'uns

Question on the L1256. I assembled one and the grains were fairly tight in the liner. I was bale to press them in by hand there is space for the seal disk and nozzle. Is a tight fit an issue? There could be some extra space between the grains beyond the space for the grain spacer o-rings. Thanks, Alex
Should not be an issue. You can always peel the glassine layer if necessary.

There is nothing in the delay formulation that should result in a slower delay burning rate over time.

I guess it's time to ask again about the status of the two things I'm most looking for in the near term:

Is there any chance that B14Ts will be available for sale in, say, the next three or four weeks? If not, I guess I'll be using Estes B6s for B Eggloft Altitude at NARAM.

How's iLaunch coming? It would be cool to pick one of those up from Dane or whoever is going to be at NARAM.

Thanks for all the stuff you're doing for us and I know there is only so much that can be done in a given amount of time with the available resources. And I know what I'm most interested in is kind of off to one side of your main clientele, even in hobby rocketry. So now I'll try to go back to patient mode. 😉
Yes, if we attend NARAM we will most likely be driving the CT, as Karl will be taking the yellow Ranger (“Rocket”) to Aeronaut.

Dane should be releasing the B14T announcement this week, and yes I would anticipate them being available for NARAM.

We are currently waiting for the second batch of pre-production iLaunch prototypes before green lighting production. Hopefully we won’t need to make any more changes.

Last edited:
Yes, if we attend NARAM we will most likely be driving the CT, as Karl will be taking the yellow Ranger (“Rocket”) to Aeronaut.

Dane should be releasing the B14T announcement this week, and yes I would anticipate them being available for NARAM.

We are currently waiting for the second batch of pre-production iLaunch prototypes before green lighting production. Hopefully we won’t need to make any more changes.
I still have not seen any evidence that the B14T is commercially available for contest use.
When should we be able to see them for sale?

We would love to see the Aerotech Roadshow up here in the PNW! Maybe Sod Blaster VI at Tri Cities Rocketeers Labor Day weekend?

We need you guys up here in the PNW for SodBlaster VI Labor Day Weekend! I might know a guy who knows a thing or two about that launch.....

I still have not seen any evidence that the B14T is commercially available for contest use.
When should we be able to see them for sale?
Sounds like we have another week or so to wait before we can find out, based on Gary’s post you quoted.

How close to NARAM can they get before CRS and buyrocketmotors.com and such have them and still be acceptable for use at NARAM this year?

Thanks, Gary. I’ll be watching and listening. And “no more changes”….got it.

We have a lot of plans and suggestions but right now we are focusing on getting caught up with current orders and reducing lead times.
Appreciate this-- Ian Forbert personally checked in for me a few times to make sure my order went out. Greatly appreciate that and the rest of the AeroTech team. PS: Expecting the motors to show up today so that's hella exciting.

AT:
I don't think your warranty email link works. It bounced on me today.
I did send an email to the customer service address and that didn't bounce yet.
Issue is my J800 package was missing the Delay O-Ring (1.17"X0.123"). I had wanted to use that motor at our launch on Sat. THX.

Edit: changed my to me

Last edited:
AT:
I don't think your warranty email link works. It bounced on me today.
I did send an email to the customer service address and that didn't bounce yet.
Issue is my J800 package was missing the Delay O-Ring (1.17"X0.123"). I had wanted to use that motor at our launch on Sat. THX.

Edit: changed my to me
Update a few hours later....
I've already heard back via customer service and an o-ring is being sent out to me! That's customer service with a star!

Easy question:
I don't have a forward "plug" closure for my 29mm casing. I don't want to use the ejection charge due to the rocket design and alternate ejection methods. If I don't put in the black powder but assemble everything else normally, will any hot jets or detrimental amounts of hot gases emanate from the forward opening?

I do have access to the forward end of the motor tube prior to launch readiness assembly. I could pack the rest of tube with dog barf or other nonflammable packing. That might provide a little insurance.

My thinking is only some smoke will come out of the opening when the delay completes its burn. I suppose I could tap the hole and screw in a 10-32 or other applicable size machine screw.

Thoughts?

My thinking is only some smoke will come out of the opening when the delay completes its burn. I suppose I could tap the hole and screw in a 10-32 or other applicable size machine screw.

Thoughts?

I've heard others recommend packing the ejection charge well with grease and taping over. I've done that and it's worked well. It seems to be enough to keep any burning delay grain from getting through. I used a high temp wheel bearing grease.

Easy question:
I don't have a forward "plug" closure for my 29mm casing. I don't want to use the ejection charge due to the rocket design and alternate ejection methods. If I don't put in the black powder but assemble everything else normally, will any hot jets or detrimental amounts of hot gases emanate from the forward opening?

I do have access to the forward end of the motor tube prior to launch readiness assembly. I could pack the rest of tube with dog barf or other nonflammable packing. That might provide a little insurance.

Thoughts?

Put Dog Barf into the well and seal with masking tape.

Back