AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the chair of the Tripoli Research committee...
If the user swaps out a delay grain to obtain a delay for which the motor was not certified...that would make that motor fall in to the the Research Class. The user would need to be a Tripoli L2 and fly it at a TRA event.

Tony Alcocer
Tripoli Research Team.
Would the same go for sanding the thrust ring of a DMS motor down to body tube diameter? I would assume so, but if I'm wrong, I could shave 15% off the frontal area of a rocket I'm planning.

Would the same go for sanding the thrust ring of a DMS motor down to body tube diameter? I would assume so, but if I'm wrong, I could shave 15% off the frontal area of a rocket I'm planning.
Yes..altering the outside of a commercial motor ..would make it a Research motor and the need to be TRA L2 flying it at a Tripoli event....would apply.

Tony

Yes..altering the outside of a commercial motor ..would make it a Research motor and the need to be TRA L2 flying it at a Tripoli event....would apply.

Tony
Depends if the manufacturer gives approval. The motor block hanging out past the motor tube or retainer is just dead weight. CTI gave approval to turn the 38mm aft closure down to OD of the tube IIRC. Aerotech could give approval for that as well.

Personally I have found myself flying more and more mid-power and small HP motors and have started to dabble in the research side.

The two projects on the bench at the moment are maximum effort 24mm birds that will surely be fun to fly, and odds are the next one up will be a similar rocket with a 29mm MMT. Have long felt that the 'G' motor was one of the more under appreciated motors in the hobby, and the latter will fully exploit G class motors.

No, likely will not be flying multiple K motors each weekend any longer, or even several J flights. Even on the research side, a 5 grain K isnt exactly inexpensive, but thats ok.

Fly em' high and fast!!!
-Sean

I am a big fan of 29/60 F motors and 29/180 H's

LOTS of bang for your buck out of these cases when you couple them with an Estes Der Big Red Max or Big Daddy, both with the RocketLab/Vanderburn plywood upgrades. Let me tell you, a Big DRM on an F62T or a Big Daddy on an H238T/H128W is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on........at a launch. 🙃

Flew both of those combinations at MWP this past weekend and let me tell you, Tim's face and "Well that was unexpected!!!" comment when the Big Daddy took off on that H238T was perfect! lol

I am seeing an AVERAGE Thrust of 60N for the new F67C.
The designator should then be F60C to conform to the standards.

I am seeing an AVERAGE Thrust of 60N for the new F67C.
The designator should then be F60C to conform to the standards.
I think the standards allow a little leeway for (just as examples) accounting for designations already in use, producing multiples of five, or any other reason to use an off-spec identifier. I think the F67C was named that to be in line with the original Enerjet F67 from the 70s.

The thrust curve and stats are readily available, should anyone need them, and the designation is close enough to the motor’s stated performance to be helpful.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of 29/60 F motors and 29/180 H's

I had glossed over the 24/60 case; but looked a bit more at it and ran some sims. I think I could enjoy the reloads for that a lot; especially slightly bigger/fatter rockets on a small field. I have more rockets than I expected that would do well on all four of those available motors. Thanks guys for making me look :)

@AeroTech The new classic SU motors look very useful to me. Just curious, any plans for classic propellant in any reloads?

Just curious, what evidence do you have that the customer base is shrinking? Our experience and observation is just the opposite.
Initially, the contents of this original thread with people saying so, also knowing my former TAP in Canada has left our hobby, also having over a dozen friends from Tripoli Southern Ontario (75), having been the Prefect of same for 15 or 16 years, having left our hobby, and also having attended launches now that I live in IN, in both Michigan and Indiana, with small turn outs compared to what I saw years ago. Still great people, just fewer of them. I do wish that my "evidence" is wrong. I do. You asked me a question and I've answered it both honestly and objectively.
I have no want to get into a match with you or any motor or kit manufacturer. I call things as I see them to be based upon real information. I have provided same to you as you'd requested.
From a personal viewpoint, I fly less often and purchase far fewer motors than I have in the past.

As you'd asked of me, please let me know what evidence tells you that your experience and observations contradict mine.
Again, I do hope that you are right.

Jim

Please let me understand your reasoning that our hobby is growing. I hope that you are right and that I am wrong.
My first direct question would be how many active TRA members do we have now. Not how many numbered members, and how does the truly active number compare to a year ago. Any other data that hopefully points to me being wrong will be very much appreciated.

Initially, the contents of this original thread with people saying so, also knowing my former TAP in Canada has left our hobby, also having over a dozen friends from Tripoli Southern Ontario (75), having been the Prefect of same for 15 or 16 years, having left our hobby, and also having attended launches now that I live in IN, in both Michigan and Indiana, with small turn outs compared to what I saw years ago. Still great people, just fewer of them. I do wish that my "evidence" is wrong. I do. You asked me a question and I've answered it both honestly and objectively.
I have no want to get into a match with you or any motor or kit manufacturer. I call things as I see them to be based upon real information. I have provided same to you as you'd requested.
From a personal viewpoint, I fly less often and purchase far fewer motors than I have in the past.

As you'd asked of me, please let me know what evidence tells you that your experience and observations contradict mine.
Again, I do hope that you are right.

Jim

Please let me understand your reasoning that our hobby is growing. I hope that you are right and that I am wrong.
My first direct question would be how many active TRA members do we have now. Not how many numbered members, and how does the truly active number compare to a year ago. Any other data that hopefully points to me being wrong will be very much appreciated.
NAR and TRA active membership higher than ever. School and collegiate activity at all time highs. We’ve had a hard time keeping up with orders this past year and had to hire new production employees.

Your experience in Canada may be different. Government overreach may have something to do with it. New Canadian regulations prevent us from introducing additional motors there without expensive and redundant hazmat testing.

Last edited:
I had glossed over the 24/60 case; but looked a bit more at it and ran some sims. I think I could enjoy the reloads for that a lot; especially slightly bigger/fatter rockets on a small field. I have more rockets than I expected that would do well on all four of those available motors. Thanks guys for making me look :)

@AeroTech The new classic SU motors look very useful to me. Just curious, any plans for classic propellant in any reloads?
No plans at the moment.

We’ve had a hard time keeping up with orders this past year and had to hire new production employees.
Need any more ;)

NAR and TRA active membership higher than ever. School and collegiate activity at all time highs.
As a college student at a large university, the amount of interest in the rocketry teams here was surprising. The team I am on did a more restrictive recruitment process this year due to the shear number of applications they got last year. The team is huge and leadership has to turn down so many people.

NAR and TRA active membership higher than ever. School and collegiate activity at all time highs. We’ve had a hard time keeping up with orders this past year and had to hire new production employees.

Your experience in Canada may be different. Government overreach may have something to do with it. New Canadian regulations prevent us from introducing additional motors there without expensive and redundant hazmat testing.
There are times that it's good to think that I'm wrong...

RCS/AeroTech/Quest has received California Office of the State Fire Marshal approvals for the Q-Jet E35W and F41W, and the Classic Enerjet by AeroTech E24C and F67C model rocket motors.
View attachment 545289
(Fidgets nervously while I desperately resist the urge to ask about an anticipated availability date)

Flew my last L1365 Metalstorm last weekend at Holtville Havoc. 15,439 ft. with my 4" Punisher "Slick Willy".
As much as I love the Dark Matter propellant, the thrust advantage of the Metalstorm is overwhelming. It's a shame to loose this motor.
I checked with RCS, they still make grains for the 54mm K540, but no grains available in 75mm.
Just wondering what a minimum order would be to get another run going?

Here is Sharon's L2 flight on a K540 Metalstorm:
IMG_8343.jpg

Sharon's flight took place on November 9th, 2013. That 3" 9 lb. Blackstar flew to 7288 ft. She has made 29 flights on that rocket.
Five flights on K540's and they all went well over 7000 ft. We started buying the K456 in 2013 at Wildmans black saturday sale and she has never flown it in that rocket.
Believe what you will.

Back