AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
I only have 1 x 75mm and 1 x 98mm SS discs. They are pretty expensive. So, wanted to make sure if I have multiple motors built for a launch day, I don't inadvertently use the wrong one. If I buy forward seal discs in the future, I will only buy the SS version.

Having said all that, I realized I was just being lazy. Went through Wildman's site and found only 5 motors that said the SS discs were required:

75mm:
L1256 WS-P - Super White Lightening
M2050X-PS - Propellant X

98mm:
L2500ST-PS - Super Thunder
M4500ST-PS - Super Thunder
M6000ST-PS - Super Thunder

Wildman doesn't carry the new L1940X, but I saw on another thread that it also requires the SS disc.

So, it appears that at least Super White Lightening, Propellant X, Super Thunder need the SS discs.

I plan to fly at least 3 of the motors listed above this weekend, so will have to assemble at least one at the field since I only have one of the 75mm discs.
I saw this and immediately went into a panic because I ordered an L1256 for my level 3 rocket's test flight and don't have an SS seal disc, but I went straight to the source and it's not the L1256WS that requires the SS seal disc, it's the L1940X.

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L3
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this and immediately went into a panic because I ordered an L1256 for my level 3 rocket's test flight and don't have an SS seal disc, but I went straight to the source and it's not the L1256WS that requires the SS seal disc, it's the L1940X.

Huh, I was just going off what Tim has on the Wildman site:

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L3
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
@AeroTech Can you please clarify whether the stainless steel seal disk is needed for the L1256SW? I'd like to hear from the horse's mouth before running off to a vendor in a panic.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I'll need a 75 SS disc. Already have a 98 for the L2500 I flew a couple years ago. I'm surprised, the aluminum works fine in my 17 sec burn 98 D grain (N800).

DigBaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@AeroTech How about a 6s delay F42? Nice motors for the price in the 4/8s versions. 6 could be useful, I keep making sims for potential builds that would be great with that 😃

thzero

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Where does one report a motor failure to Aerotech?

Neutron95

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Aerotech website has been down all day for me. Is there something going on?

Tractionengines

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Aerotech website has been down all day for me. Is there something going on?
I just checked. Yes, their site is down with a server error..... http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/

The Aerotech Store IS working :

tfish

Reaction score
They know about it and are working on it..

Tony

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our hosting company is migrating to a new server and it might be down for another week or so.

The completely redesigned AeroTech/Quest website should be online next month.
With things like updated catalogs and instructions and motor availability lists?

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
You guys (Aerotech) need to check your web server. It's only delivering error messages.

tsmith1315

Reaction score
How easily do 38/54mm Dark Matter and Metalstorm propellants ignite?

I've mostly flown BT and White Lightning and would typically use a small piece of Thermalite to assist.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
I've mainly used FirstFire igniters with DM motors since thats what they're supplied with and haven't had any duds. I give the igniter leads a little kink, and then a reverse kink just below the pyrogen to encourage the pyrogen to be in contact with the propellant core wall. Seems to work well since I don't have any duds (knock on wood).

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How easily do 38/54mm Dark Matter and Metalstorm propellants ignite?

I've mostly flown BT and White Lightning and would typically use a small piece of Thermalite to assist.
Dark Matter ignites pretty easily, Metalstorm is similar to White Lightning.