AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

beeblebrox

8 C6-0, 12 D11-9, 20 D20-0, 20 E5-0, 3 Cinerocs
Reaction score
.266" is 17/64". Use a 17/64" drill bit to drill out a .180 nozzle. If you plan to do a lot, get a carbide tipped drill. The nozzle material wears down HSS bits in a hurry.

Don't use HSS bits, Use Cobalt Steel bits, they last a LONG time and are much cheaper than carbide bits which are actually terrible, they grab and break easily. Not suitable unless you are using a lathe, which is overkill.

Neutron95

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone at Aerotech looked into mixed propellant motors that aren't dual thrust? Both of the other brands have motors that combine red and blue propellants for some very pretty flames. A combo of Redline and New Blue Thunder might be especially pretty.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone at Aerotech looked into mixed propellant motors that aren't dual thrust? Both of the other brands have motors that combine red and blue propellants for some very pretty flames. A combo of Redline and New Blue Thunder might be especially pretty.
I’m sure it’s been discussed. It’s not a priority for our projects right now.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can get 12-packs of white lightning B6-4's? I see them on the price list on the aerotech website, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere, including questaerospace.com.

ThePlmbr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had to buy extra ignitors from the Wildman to use the motors.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is how both ignitors came out of the Aerotech Econojet F23-4FJ package that I bought from the Wildman, at Bong, Wisc on 08/29/21. This is one of the issues that many have spoken about concerning Aerotech ignitors.
What was the lot code on the motors? I’m curious as to why there are three pictures of the same igniters. Is there something different about them in the photos?

Were they packaged in the short paper tube? Were they like that in the tube or did the material come off as you removed them? Or was the coating already loose in the package before you opened it?

If you contact customer service they will send you replacements. FYI these igniters are now being dipped in a protective coating to make them more durable.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is how both ignitors came out of the Aerotech Econojet F23-4FJ package that I bought from the Wildman, at Bong, Wisc on 08/29/21. This is one of the issues that many have spoken about concerning Aerotech ignitors.
From reviewing the sales history with that vendor, those motors appear to be at least two years old. The packaging banging and bouncing around for thousands of miles in vendors' trailers doesn't help matters either.

ThePlmbr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They were loose in the package, no cardboard tubes! The package had not been opened and then resealed! I will mention to the Wildman about your comment.
All of us that fly rockets are happy to have our vendors drive thousands of miles, so that we can buy your products. With out them there would be no hobby rocket industry. I will supply your customer service lot code. Greg Olson PS I sent the three photos of the ignitors that I took. One was out of focus and I wanted to show the ends of your ignitors!

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@AeroTech
I noticed a J450DM for the DMS line; I would love to see something like that for the RMS folks in a 54mm offering in an I or J impulse level. Thank you from a loyal customer.

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@AeroTech
I noticed a J450DM for the DMS line; I would love to see something like that for the RMS folks in a 54mm offering in an I or J impulse level. Thank you from a loyal customer.
Just fly the DMS J450. It's a little more money but not that much.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They were loose in the package, no cardboard tubes! The package had not been opened and then resealed! I will mention to the Wildman about your comment.
All of us that fly rockets are happy to have our vendors drive thousands of miles, so that we can buy your products. With out them there would be no hobby rocket industry. I will supply your customer service lot code. Greg Olson PS I sent the three photos of the ignitors that I took. One was out of focus and I wanted to show the ends of your ignitors!
I didn’t mean that comment to be derogatory to Wildman or any other dealer. It’s just a fact that on-site dealers subject the product to far more vibration, handling and temperature extremes than brick and mortar stores. We are very happy to have our on-site dealers as well.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is how they are supposed to be packaged:
0FC7A5C2-853D-482C-9155-83E61C158307.jpeg

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just fly the DMS J450. It's a little more money but not that much.
I'm looking for more options in the 54mm J impulse and lower for cloudy days and lower waivers for night launches. Heck I want some Metal storm reloads as well in the 54mm range. How would @AeroTech know if customers didn't ask?

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@AeroTech
Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else interested in such a motor?

Pappy

old man with time on his hands
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
a week ago i sent an email to the quest service address, asking for a catalog, and y'all sent me cool stuff... i'm still smiling about it. you guys are awesome. thank you.

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
I would like to see a DM load for the 54/852-1280 case as well as the 54/2560 case. Even if the 852 was a large core motor and it was a 600 ish ns high average impulse I motor.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Can never have too many Dark Matter motors. I hope you can get the M1955 figured out. A 54/426 would be awesome as well as 75/2560 and 3840. The L1250 is one of my favorite motors. I have 4 in my stash!

emckee

Reaction score
I'm not sure I see the point in having a DM reload for the 54/426 or 54/852 cases. The 38/720 I327DM sits nicely in that zone. However, a DM reload for the 1280 case might make sense, and fill a gap in the DM line (a mid- to large-J). I would love to see a DM reload in the 75/2560 case, as well.

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don
I'm not sure I see the point in having a DM reload for the 54/426 or 54/852 cases. The 38/720 I327DM sits nicely in that zone. However, a DM reload for the 1280 case might make sense, and fill a gap in the DM line (a mid- to large-J). I would love to see a DM reload in the 75/2560 case, as well.
I don't have a 38mm case yet😥

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Some people prefer larger diameter to length.
Some prefer to not use a adapter .
Some would like a thrust profile more then 2 seconds.
A DM in the 426 would most likely never happen as the average thrust would be around 70 ns and total ns would be 370 ish.
A single grain moon burner for the 1280 case though , that would be fun.
I also would like 2 and 3 grain 75 mm DM loads as well as FJ loads for the same cases.

rharshberger

Reaction score

Some people prefer larger diameter to length.
Some prefer to not use a adapter .
Some would like a thrust profile more then 2 seconds.
A DM in the 426 would most likely never happen as the average thrust would be around 70 ns and total ns would be 370 ish.
A single grain moon burner for the 1280 case though , that would be fun.
I also would like 2 and 3 grain 75 mm DM loads as well as FJ loads for the same cases.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but a Big Daddy or FatBoy with a 54/426 Dark Matter would be frickin awesome! Same for either with one in the 54/852 case.

Theory

Reaction score
Believe a DM load for the 54/1280 case would have a good deal more impulse than the I327.

A DM load for the 54/1280 or 54/852 would be nice.

That said if we are requesting loads, would like to see the J1000 ST load (aerospike or not) for the 54/852 case. Yup, would buy several of those

AdAstraPerAspera

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to see a DM reload in the 75/2560 case, as well.
Can never have too many Dark Matter motors. I hope you can get the M1955 figured out. A 54/426 would be awesome as well as 75/2560 and 3840. The L1250 is one of my favorite motors. I have 4 in my stash!
I'd love to see a sparky load in the 75/2560 case, and it seems like I'm not alone. That case just needs more loads generally. I'm thinking Mojave Green as well.