AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Jester

Reaction score
When it comes to stainless steel seal discs, are there any 54 mm reloads that require their use? Thanks in advance!

rharshberger

Reaction score
Historically, White Lightning has been AeroTech’s most popular propellant by a wide margin.
Hmmm....H123, H128, I205, J270, J350, M1297, and M1350 are most likely the most popular of the white loads is my guess, the reason being is those are the most common ones our club see's being used for cert flights.

Neutron95

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the K1103X
I'm planning on flying a K1103 in the near future; the instructions don't specifically mention the stainless steel seal disc. Is the standard seal disc just going to suffer a reduced lifespan from repeated firings, or would the steel one be necessary to ensure reliable operation of the motor?

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Historically, White Lightning has been AeroTech’s most popular propellant by a wide margin.
Yeah, I'll say. Just pulled together a quick pivot table of my motor inventory to see what the spread of my AT stash is. I didnt realize WT was -that- high.. lol

1621249398143.png

T34zac

Reaction score
I'm planning on flying a K1103 in the near future; the instructions don't specifically mention the stainless steel seal disc. Is the standard seal disc just going to suffer a reduced lifespan from repeated firings, or would the steel one be necessary to ensure reliable operation of the motor?
I would also like to know this as I have a K1103 as well. Almost flew it recently too.

Dave Pritts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a couple F52T reloads that came with copperhead igniters. Haven't seen copperheads for a while. Is AT shipping with copperheads again, was this old stock, or am I imagining things? It's not an issue, just wondering>

GlueckAuf

Reaction score
Just bought a couple F52T reloads that came with copperhead igniters. Haven't seen copperheads for a while. Is AT shipping with copperheads again, was this old stock, or am I imagining things? It's not an issue, just wondering>
Sounds like you were sold some old stock. I've gotten Copperheads that way from a local dealer myself. I throw them away in favor of either a homemade Quick Dip starter or a modern, reliable one from another kit or a package of Aerotech starters.

What's the date code stamped on the packaging? I'm told it's deciphered as MMDDYYBB on RMS reload kits, the BB part meaning the batch number.

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

Dave Pritts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just checked the dates... 2011 & 2016 Won't be a problem unless they don't burn correctly. Next weekend I'll know.

Thanks for the info GlueckAuf.

GlueckAuf

Reaction score
You’re welcome, Dave. Good luck with ‘em. I have a low tolerance for aggravation, and the few times I’ve used them, Copperheads come loaded with it.

Good skies,

GlueckAuf

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely old stock. We haven't produced Copperheads for several years.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just checked the dates... 2011 & 2016 Won't be a problem unless they don't burn correctly. Next weekend I'll know.

Thanks for the info GlueckAuf.
They work much better with the Interlock clip.

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Recommended but not required at this time. The aluminum disk will have a limited lifespan.

A Person
Reaction score
I launched a J1799N this past Saturday. Is it normal for the anodizing on the seal disk to be mostly gone after just one firing? I bought it new that day and after the flight a good amount of bare aluminum was showing.

rharshberger

Reaction score
I launched a J1799N this past Saturday. Is it normal for the anodizing on the seal disk to be mostly gone after just one firing? I bought it new that day and after the flight a good amount of bare aluminum was showing.
Was that at TCR this lastcSaturday? If so now I gotta get me one....

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The firing will bleach the dye but the anodize layer should still be there.

A Person
Reaction score
Was that at TCR this lastcSaturday? If so now I gotta get me one....
No, MDRA. I saw on the Tripoli FB group that someone else flew one elsewhere Saturday too.
The firing will bleach the dye but the anodize layer should still be there.
Ok. I plan to fly more of these motors so I guess I'll see how it holds up long term.

mikec

Reaction score
I believe the K1103X [recommends the SS seal disk]
Didn't see anything about that in the packaging of a fairly new reload a couple of weeks ago, date code 01062105. Maybe I missed it?

I would think the K2050ST might need the SS seal disk more?

tfish

Reaction score
No, MDRA. I saw on the Tripoli FB group that someone else flew one elsewhere Saturday too.

Ok. I plan to fly more of these motors so I guess I'll see how it holds up long term.
I flew one on Friday with a High School STEM team.
It went well. 12000' 85 G's 1.4 mach ..
Cool "punchy" motor..

Tony

Attachments

A Person
Reaction score
I flew one on Friday with a High School STEM team.
It went well. 12000' 85 G's 1.4 mach ..
Cool "punchy" motor..

Tony
Nice. Mine was in a 3" diameter, 12lb rocket. Estimated 40Gs but won't know exactly till I am back home and can load in the data. I plan on doing it in a minimum diameter two stage as the booster for a longer burning sustainer motor. Estimated acceleration on that flight is near 100Gs.

Wonder what a warp nine load in a 54/1706 case would do. Have you tried that Gary?

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. Mine was in a 3" diameter, 12lb rocket. Estimated 40Gs but won't know exactly till I am back home and can load in the data. I plan on doing it in a minimum diameter two stage as the booster for a longer burning sustainer motor. Estimated acceleration on that flight is near 100Gs.

Wonder what a warp nine load in a 54/1706 case would do. Have you tried that Gary?
It would be a challenge to get the hardware to hold together.

Theory

Reaction score
It would be a challenge to get the hardware to hold together.
understandable, but would be cool if it would work.

love the Warp 9 motors. Have a J1799 in the range box and acquired this guy recently:
B43E3353-FFC7-4924-95E8-BA3460E77740.jpeg

Rocket86

Reaction score
I need to replace some misplaced (by me) o-rings. What material is used in Aerotech o-rings? They look like neoprene or Buna N. Are these acceptable materials? Thank you.

Reaction score
Looking at the special 38 mm forward closer for the end burning motors there is a
approximately 1" dia male threaded portion on the front of the forward closer.
can anyone tell me the purrpose?

Rocket86

Reaction score
Looking at the special 38 mm forward closer for the end burning motors there is a
approximately 1" dia male threaded portion on the front of the forward closer.
can anyone tell me the purrpose?
That thread was for the electronic forward closure, which was needed if the delay required in a rocket was longer than what the delay element could provide.