AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl got back to me quickly, stating the same as post https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/aerotech-open-thread.125657/post-2055931. The delays supplied with the motor will be +/- 1s. I appreciate the answer!

Regarding HDKs, he stated they're in compliance with a large percentage of the motors, so are not altered. So it seems YMMV more with HDKs than those supplied with the motor. I used these back before I was comfortable drilling delays, now I just get the longer delay packs and drill them with the 18-38 RMS DDT, or a drill bit with stop adjusted using a 1/32" graduated ruler.

So getting back to this.... just cant let go I guess. So you're saying you'd buy a pack of F24-7s and drill them to get say, 5 seconds. How much do you drill down? My experience with drilling delays has been quite variable. Ive drilled different depths only to have my altimeter 3 say the delay was nearly the SAME. I must be doing something wrong if this sort of thing works for you... but I have no idea what. I put the drilled end toward the propellant as many have advised me. I don't know what else there could be to this.

This is a frame from an iPhone slow motion video of a C18-6W-motivated Nova Payloader. This was a beta-test motor, flown August 30th. Admittedly, this isn't as nice a picture as the one by Jim Wilkerson that's posted just above.

Also, the information release says these have a "throaty roar". They ain't kiddin'.

And, zero to 218 mph in half a second and less than 100 feet!

NovaPayloader(5)-WL_liftoff1.jpgIMG_3534.PNG

Last edited:
Nice photo Bernard!!

This is a frame from an iPhone slow motion video of a C18-6W-motivated Nova Payloader. This was a beta-test motor, flown August 30th. Admittedly, this isn't as nice a picture as the one by Jim Wilkerson that's posted just above.

Also, the information release says these have a "throaty roar". They ain't kiddin'.

And, zero to 218 mph in half a second and less than 100 feet!

View attachment 438274View attachment 438275

Last edited:
Are there any plans to expand the Q jet line any further? I would certainly love to have some 18mm single use Blue Thunder motors for a project that I've been kicking around in my head.

There are lots of plans. But we need to sell some of these brand new motors first! 😁

Are there any plans to expand the Q jet line any further? I would certainly love to have some 18mm single use Blue Thunder motors for a project that I've been kicking around in my head.

Last edited:
Old meets new. I had one of those way back when!
Yeah, that's why I took the picture. I thought the juxtaposition was cool. I just realized that I'd used my other Electro-Launch that day, not the 1966 tabs-on-the-outside version. But it's still likely over 50 years old.

The model kind of splits the difference since the Nova Payloader was introduced in 1986, though this particular example is from the most-recent iteration that's available from AC Supply.

Added: In rewatching the video from that flight, I see that I mentioned this was an initiator with most of the pyrogen missing. It worked just fine.

Last edited:
You say "available for immediate shipment...11/13/2020". I have been thru the AeroTech website, Quest Website, and a couple of your distributors websites...can't find them available. Care to supply the link to where we can order them? I want to fly them before the snow flies.

We are giving the dealers a bit of a head start in ordering them, so please be patient. Also, I will be working on getting them on the Quest store over the next few days.

You say "available for immediate shipment...11/13/2020". I have been thru the AeroTech website, Quest Website, and a couple of your distributors websites...can't find them available. Care to supply the link to where we can order them? I want to fly them before the snow flies.

New Q-Jet by AeroTech packaging information release.
I like the motors a lot, and showing on the packaging the distinction between the black max and white lightning is clearly a good thing.

I am somewhat less of a fan of the use of plastic packaging here (yes, I'm aware that Estes also does this; I have the same comment for them). Wouldn't cardboard work just as well here? I would think that the vast majority of these are purchased via mail order, where the ability to see the actual goods has no bearing.

And besides, after I purchase them, I rip them out of the package, discard the plastic, and put the motors in my motor box.

Not that big a deal, and the motors inside the packaging are single-use plastic anyway, but it seems like this would be relatively easy opportunity to go with a more environmentally friendly package.

Actually, the vast majority of Q-Jet & Quest retail packaging is sold through retail hobby shops, just as our competition’s product is.

I like the motors a lot, and showing on the packaging the distinction between the black max and white lightning is clearly a good thing.

I am somewhat less of a fan of the use of plastic packaging here (yes, I'm aware that Estes also does this; I have the same comment for them). Wouldn't cardboard work just as well here? I would think that the vast majority of these are purchased via mail order, where the ability to see the actual goods has no bearing.

And besides, after I purchase them, I rip them out of the package, discard the plastic, and put the motors in my motor box.

Not that big a deal, and the motors inside the packaging are single-use plastic anyway, but it seems like this would be relatively easy opportunity to go with a more environmentally friendly package.

Actually, the vast majority of Q-Jet & Quest retail packaging is sold through retail hobby shops, just as our competition’s product is.
Really, that is surprising to me. I'm encouraged that there are enough retail hobby shops left for this to be possible. Certainly not in my neck of the woods.

I am really surprised at that, since there are effectively zero hobby shops around here within an hour drive, let alone ones that carry rocketry. The only one I found is closer to 1:15 away and they only carry Estes BP motors (D and below). This is in south-central PA.

Not sure if this has been asked previously, so please excuse me if so, but I just took a look at the complete Aerotech "Master Motor Matrix" and noticed the E15Ws aren't listed. Have they been discontinued in favor of the E20s?

Not sure if this has been asked previously, so please excuse me if so, but I just took a look at the complete Aerotech "Master Motor Matrix" and noticed the E15Ws aren't listed. Have they been discontinued in favor of the E20s?

yes, the E20 replaced the E15

toward the end of production they were effectively the same motor

Two questions-
1) For the J99N am I correct in assuming the 54mm forward closure bulkhead plug can be used with the floating forward closure and RAS?
2) Any plans for a 38mm version of the forward closure bulkhead plug? I'd like to not have to buy a 38/480 case and the endburn style forward closure just to fly the I59WN if I could buy a bulkhead plug and use the 38/720 case and two spacers that I already have.

Last edited:
1. Yes that is correct.

2. Not until you mentioned it, we’ll take a look at it.

Thanks!

Two questions-
1) For the J99N am I correct in assuming the 54mm forward closure bulkhead plug can be used with the floating forward closure and RAS?
2) Any plans for a 38mm version of the forward closure bulkhead plug? I'd like to not have to buy a 38/480 case and the endburn style forward closure just to fly the I59WN if I could buy a bulkhead plug and use the 38/720 case and two spacers that I already have.

WISHING A HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE...(Socially distanced of course )

Still a no-go for actually getting any of the C18 / D20 motors....per some of the distributors I have talked to; none shipped to them until at least the 20th. (And are still in-transit to them...at best. ) I did go ahead and order some from the Quest Site the day they went up, there. Those still have not shipped to me. I checked with Quest customer service, and they have the order, but no estimated shipping day....
As a businesd development manager; this is not how to launch a new product...
Amwprox has them
THANK YOU for the note, but AMWPROX does not process online order's. You have to call in credit card info, which I don't do. (Not sure I believe their inventory count, since they are the ONLY source that claims to have them in-stock)
Mike

When you select a delay it says not available, and to enter email for notice when available. He also has a note to the effect of "we are trying to get them, please bear with us," on the buyrocketmotors.com facebook page.

THANK YOU for the note, but AMWPROX does not process online order's. You have to call in credit card info, which I don't do. (Not sure I believe their inventory count, since they are the ONLY source that claims to have them in-stock)
Mike
You have to call in credit card info? In the 21st century? Not sure I would want to trust their rocket science if they can't even put in place basic computer science. What a bunch of Luddites.

Back