AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on what Dave said.
Far too many people stick by the vendors with self-imposed inventory management challenges, and then pass (lack of) availability blame to the product manufactures.

29/40-120 cases have been readily available from multiple sources for some time. Here is one: https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/hobby-line
If your current source doesn't have product X in stock, but other vendors do, cancel the order from your current source, and draw some conclusions.
If your current source is refusing to cancel your order and refund the money they took from you 9 months ago, definitely draw some serious conclusions. And post vendor's name publicly, so that we can all avoid him.

YMMV,
a
That seems to be a problem, Aerotech seems to be filling orders for certain vendors and leave other lacking. If all vendors are out at one point, why do some get stock 6 - 12 months before others?

There definitely seem to be preferred vendors. It's hard to say if it's on purpose, or if some vendors were just more aggressive about getting lots of backorders in early.

There definitely seem to be preferred vendors. It's hard to say if it's on purpose, or if some vendors were just more aggressive about getting lots of backorders in early.

Yes, but when the orders are payed for already, why don't they get their orders while other vendors are getting stock? Doesn't make sense to me and I'm stuck waiting for what I paid for because of it.

I've been flying Aerotech for 16 years and love the motors, their quality and service. I'm starting to get very disappointed with their supply system when I can't get motors from the vendors that at at my flying field.

It's possible that quite a few vendors have paid for orders in from years ago. Who knows. I know it happens with other hobbies - somebody with relatively deep pockets will lock down a good percentage of some future supply of some key item. It's possible they are prioritizing their largest dealers - which becomes self reinforcing of course. The point is it's all speculation.

It's possible that quite a few vendors have paid for orders in from years ago. Who knows. I know it happens with other hobbies - somebody with relatively deep pockets will lock down a good percentage of some future supply of some key item. It's possible they are prioritizing their largest dealers - which becomes self reinforcing of course. The point is it's all speculation.

You are correct, it's all speculation. The fact is I paid for motors six months ago from one vendor and other vendors have gotten those same motors in stock several months ago. I don't know the facts of the supply system, but I know what it looks like.

Our local AT vendor (& he sells out of his car) told me the only time AT wants money up front is when they’re getting ready for price hike, otherwise he doesn’t pay until they ship.

I suspect that their largest vendors get "preferential treatment" . . .

I don’t think so. It makes sense that the larger dealers have had larger requests for the same length of time and their initial large requests might not be filled yet. I know that one of the largest dealers called Aerotech today to find out where he was in the queue for some motors he ordered. He wasn’t first.

So for instance if I ordered 100 motors on June 1, 2018 and a smaller dealer ordered 10 on June 8, 2018. In a truly fair first come, first served system, I should receive my 100 before he gets his 10. Maybe I got 20 last month and put them on my website and sold them. Then, last week I received another 35 and have them for sale. It’s not preferential treatment if I receive another 45 as they are produced before the vendor who ordered 10 gets his.

I don’t think so. It makes sense that the larger dealers have had larger requests for the same length of time and their initial large requests might not be filled yet. I know that one of the largest dealers called Aerotech today to find out where he was in the queue for some motors he ordered. He wasn’t first.

So for instance if I ordered 100 motors on June 1, 2018 and a smaller dealer ordered 10 on June 8, 2018. In a truly fair first come, first served system, I should receive my 100 before he gets his 10. Maybe I got 20 last month and put them on my website and sold them. Then, last week I received another 35 and have them for sale. It’s not preferential treatment if I receive another 45 as they are produced before the vendor who ordered 10 gets his.
The problem seems to stem from the fact that some vendors will receive regular orders for inventory of motors before other vendors receive orders to fill prepaid or back orders of motors. If I place an order with Vendor A for a motor (and pay for it), it seems suspect at best when Vendor B gets the same motor (not just motors, this also happens a lot with hardware) back in stock to sell before Vendor A gets my backorder.

I try to assume the best of everyone, and assume that Aerotech just doesn't have the information to fill prepaid customer orders first, but it seems questionable because it always seems to be the same vendors that get stuff back in stock quickly, and the same vendors that get stuck waiting to fill backorders for months.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that some vendors will receive regular orders for inventory of motors before other vendors receive orders to fill prepaid or back orders of motors. If I place an order with Vendor A for a motor (and pay for it), it seems suspect at best when Vendor B gets the same motor (not just motors, this also happens a lot with hardware) back in stock to sell before Vendor A gets my backorder.

I try to assume the best of everyone, and assume that Aerotech just doesn't have the information to fill prepaid customer orders first, but it seems questionable because it always seems to be the same vendors that get stuff back in stock quickly, and the same vendors that get stuck waiting to fill backorders for months.

That is spot-on !

Now, what circumstance might prompt a manufacturer to act in such a manner . . .

above......THIS!

Everything else you guys are spewing is pure speculation.
As far as pre-paid you are paying a vendor NOT Aero-tech. If the vendor waits to order AFTER collecting cash he is in back of the line. Period.

The vendors who are getting motors have been ordering on top of back-orders.

Quit pick'n on AT/vendors...... and go fly some rockets.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
That is spot-on !

Now, what circumstance might prompt a manufacturer to act in such a manner . . .

If I can interpret open-ended suggestiveness accurately, are you continuing to imply that AT is catering to or snubbing vendors depending on X(order volume, business relationship, spite, etc...) despite multiple opposing testimonies from folks without stake in aerotech?

I think Steve's point has a lot of logic behind it. Larger vendors make larger orders that take longer to fill. I never even imagined them getting those orders in batches that could make it seem like they're regularly having fresh orders filled.

It's hard to fly what vendors don't have . . .

Are you insinuating that the vendor has NO motors that could possibly be used in any of your rockets?
Now I can understand them not having a very particular motor for a specific project or flight profile. Thus the frustrations from Handeman or others that do pre-order in an attempt to have that motor when they want it.

+1 on what Dave said.
Far too many people stick by the vendors with self-imposed inventory management challenges, and then pass (lack of) availability blame to the product manufactures.

29/40-120 cases have been readily available from multiple sources for some time. Here is one: https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/hobby-line
If your current source doesn't have product X in stock, but other vendors do, cancel the order from your current source, and draw some conclusions.
If your current source is refusing to cancel your order and refund the money they took from you 9 months ago, definitely draw some serious conclusions. And post vendor's name publicly, so that we can all avoid him.

YMMV,
a
As previously stated, I don't "need" another one. I got a good price from this vendor but if I never get it price is irrelevent. If I need another I would go to apogee as they can laser engrave the cases.

Are you insinuating that the vendor has NO motors that could possibly be used in any of your rockets?
Now I can understand them not having a very particular motor for a specific project or flight profile.

Now, we both know that will vary, depending on the vendor . . . It would also require "outing" the vendor(s), by name, here in the thread . . . A violation of the forum rules !

Now, we both know that will vary, depending on the vendor . . . It would also require "outing" the vendor(s), by name, here in the thread . . . A violation of the forum rules !

So you’re saying your vendor has no alternative loads? Again, the choice of vendors is yours. If you choose one who does not have and cannot get product, that’s a mistake on your part. Complaining about the manufacturers won’t help.
Also, there is a forum specifically set up for vendor feedback. The rules don’t say not to “out” problem vendors; they simply say where to do it appropriately.

Dave, nowhere in Nytrunners post did he ask you to name a vendor & like Mr. Shannon stated, if you have an issue with a vendor put it here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/product-and-vendor-reviews.16/
Personally I would take it up with the vendor rather than airing here.

Precisely, why I am not "naming names" . . . If I did, there would be a list of names.

Earlier, in post # 2869, a call to "post vendor's name publicly, so that we can all avoid him" was made.

"Taking it up with the vendor" solves little . . . They often claim that the "manufacturer just isn't sending product".
"Take it up with the manufacturer" . . . Good luck with that one !

Whether it is posted here or in another thread, the complaint, in public, is the same !

From 2015 in this thread . . .

QUOTE:

Hi Dave,

Also, it frustrates us because of the backlog of casing orders
This is a serious problem for us currently. While the hardware has began to trickle in it just never seems fast enough. I have designated myself as the hardware monitor because of the importance I place in it. Part of the problem is that it requires huge resources, usually all up front. But this cannot be our excuse. We must have hardware at all times. The good news is that now that we are the sole manufacturer of the hardware we can finally see what the annual demand for it is based on our own records. Since acquiring RouseTech we can see his hardware sales also which provides us with much more accurate information. It's hard to fly a reload without a case. Allegedly.

END QUOTE:

So now, 4 years later, "the song remains the same" . . .

Dave F.

Wanna free market solution? Aerotech can raise it's prices by 30%, then they will sell fewer motors, allowing production capacity to keep up with demand. They will make a higher margin on each motor, sell fewer, but overall profit will balance out. Us flyers will pay more, maybe buy fewer (in theory) but get our motors sooner.

Or,

We can accept the current production limitation (if indeed there is one as some are speculating), enjoy the current price points (enjoy, accept, tolorate, depending on whether you think motors are "expensive"), and plan on delivery time frames measured in months, versus weeks or days.

Wanna free market solution? Aerotech can raise it's prices by 30%, then they will sell fewer motors, allowing production capacity to keep up with demand. They will make a higher margin on each motor, sell fewer, but overall profit will balance out. Us flyers will pay more, maybe buy fewer (in theory) but get our motors sooner.

Or,

We can accept the current production limitation (if indeed there is one as some are speculating), enjoy the current price points (enjoy, accept, tolorate, depending on whether you think motors are "expensive"), and plan on delivery time frames measured in months, versus weeks or days.

Aerotech & Cesaroni have a virtual "death grip" on HPR . . . Loki, and other small manufacturers, have no chance at producing products in sufficient volume to be able to compete, head to head.

Aerotech & Cesaroni have a virtual "death grip" on HPR . . . Loki, and other small manufacturers, have no chance at producing products in sufficient volume to be able to compete, head to head.

CTI primarily makes .mil motors. Not sure if Aerotech does or what, if any, sideline they have other than hobby rocketry. Perhaps it's more precise to say that they're uniquely positioned to support semi-permanent hobby rocket motor production to fill their dead time between .mil production.

Scott can leverage market conditions and grow his company if he chooses. There seems to be plenty of demand. My dollars go to the manufactuers and supply chain that can deliver the products. For consumables, I purchase a flying season in advance so the delay is not an issue for me. I have an inventory of hardware so I have not paid much attention to those shortages.

Do they seem to be hardware-related or reload-related ?

Hardware is almost never the cause of a cato.
Edit: I spoke without fully putting my mind in gear. That’s too broad of a statement. By the above I meant that the cause of catos in reloadable systems is almost never the reloadable metal case. The problems that AT had with incorrect wind angle and the problems that CTI had with slippery plastic in their forward closures were certainly hardware problems.

Last edited:
I have only flown (about) 40 CTI motors. I had 2 CATO's, both were VMAX.

Cesaroni has a literal death grip on HPR with their current line of catos lol
1zsrhd.jpg

Back