AeroTech MPR kit recommendations? (and instructions?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't go wrong with the Aerotech kits. I haven't bought one in 15 years or so but I did buy a "few" back then. All have been heavily used and are holding up just fine. I have 50+ launches on my Initiator, still going strong. All were built stock unfortunately, because the bigger ones can handle more than a G motor, actually I think they all can. Don't have to worry about that anymore because I believe they all come with the new motor retainer now.
I personally love the Labyrinth cooling system, insert chute done, no need what-so-ever for any chute protection. Follow the directions especially when it comes to the fin-loc system. I took a pic of the instructions from the kits I have and one that includes some of the rockets.
If you want a "WOW" factor while flying at a park I would suggest the G-Force. On a G it only flies to about 800ft. That is the reason I bought mine.

Aerotech inst..JPGAerotech Rockets.JPG

Last edited:
It is unnecessary to ever remove the baffle mesh for cleaning.

I built an Arreaux kit back in 2002. After 50 flights I was curious so I took the cooling mesh out.
It was sooty and black but otherwise fine.
I put the mesh back in the rocket and have flown it another 15-20 times since then.
No issues.

Just remember to shake out the ejection caps and/or paper ejection cap remains and the model is good to go.
Yes - this. Just shake it out to make sure anything loose falls out, and you're good.

I like the Arreaux due to its versitility and durability. It is a solid little rocket and it can fly on a 29mm H with no propblem should you desire. (A H97J will put it up to above 3700', and has a nice black smoke trail which with this rocket is helpful!.... although If your going to fly it on a H make sure to put a Tracker in it!)
ARX1.jpg

The Fin-Lok system seems to work well, and the fin fillets are cast into the fins, however you may *want to (not need) to perform some touch-up fillet on the fin roots as there may be some very small gaps between the fins and airframe. (See photo below)
ARX fin root.jpg

The mesh cooling system does actually work, and is replaceable. I haven't even so much as singed a chute (yet). but I use a small nomex blanket in just in case. The inside still looks almost new, despite several flights, and still has only minimal ejection residue / discoloration (See photo)

I personally did NOT put it togethor with CA as per the instructions, but used 30m epoxy instead. Also, I ditched the shock cord that came with the kit and replaced it with kevlar instead, and added a bit of vinyl (or whatever the stuff is made of) gas tubing at the point it exits the Airframe as protection against the edge (Zipper)

ARX eject.jpg

You *probably* could fly it on an Estes' 29mm motors but you would need to build a thust ring from tape, (or a small piece of motor tube glued to the end of the Estes motor casing. DISCLAIMER: I have heard of this being done, but have never actually done it myself so I *don't* actually know if this is legal with respect to rules not allowing the modifcation of motors.) but AT anb CT make lots of 29mm stuff that would work.

Its also a fairly small rocket, packs well, and because of its fins, is pretty car friendly in terms of being bounced about during transport!

Anyway, I like it!

You *probably* could fly it on an Estes' 29mm motors but you would need to build a thust ring from tape, (or a small piece of motor tube glued to the end of the Estes motor casing. DISCLAIMER: I have heard of this being done, but have never actually done it myself so I *don't* actually know if this is legal with respect to rules not allowing the modifcation of motors.) but AT anb CT make lots of 29mm stuff that would work.

Its also a fairly small rocket, packs well, and because of its fins, is pretty car friendly in terms of being bounced about during transport!

Anyway, I like it!

There is not issue with the motor 'mod' rule when adding a thrust ring. I do this on BP 24mm motors (I don't fly the BP E&F 29mm motors due to to many that CATO).

Good to know!

Although honestly, I to have never flown a BP E, F or G. Always fly AT or CT, RMS/Pro

Anyway, I like it!
I have flown my Arreaux on an Estes F15-6 motor.

Attachments

• NSL2013-005 Arreaux liftoff!.jpg
    NSL2013-005 Arreaux liftoff!.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
The Arreaux is a nice rocket. I built it with epoxy instead of CA, so slightly heavier. The payload bay is good for Marco Polo tracker, flightsketch, or whatever else you use. G motors hit 2000-3000ft.

920394DC-8D49-4E12-B8D6-190099A7C94D.jpeg

The Arreaux is a nice rocket. I built it with epoxy instead of CA, so slightly heavier. The payload bay is good for Marco Polo tracker, flightsketch, or whatever else you use. G motors hit 2000-3000ft.
The Arreaux was definitely on the short list. But I just ordered a Cheetah. Similar, only a bit shorter. I was a bit concerned about weathercocking, however I'm probably being paranoid. Not the first time. So I'll fly it on smaller motors on my local field, up it a notch on the club field. Bigger motors may require a tracker/gps, which means I might eventually get the Arreaux later, given the added room. (would that be a room with a view?)

Some of the 2.6" models were attractive, but they will barely leave the ground on an "E". So it would get expensive for frequent flights given that I would be in the market for "F" motors a lot.

Baby steps.... I'll likely get a 2.6" some day. The Cheetah is just a first step.

Hans.

PS: Thanks for the advice. You guys are very helpful

PPS: Nice photo!

NICE Photo! Snow & Sparkies... (Snow?... Where is that? Edmonton.... Yesterday?? :)
Thanks! Northern ONT. Ill be heading out west for certifications and trying to figure out which club to register with. Any suggestions?

Ahhhh crap! Northern ONT is the last place I wanted to hear as my employer is preparing to send me to Toronto for several years for a MetroLinx rail project! so I know very well what those winter scenes equate to! 🥶🥶 (Ok, ok, so its not that bad...after all it could be QC.! )

Anyway, by "out west" do you mean stateside, or BC/AB? (Dont know any Canadian clubs)

The Arreaux was definitely on the short list. But I just ordered a Cheetah. Similar, only a bit shorter. I was a bit concerned about weathercocking, however I'm probably being paranoid. Not the first time. So I'll fly it on smaller motors on my local field, up it a notch on the club field. Bigger motors may require a tracker/gps, which means I might eventually get the Arreaux later, given the added room. (would that be a room with a view?)

Some of the 2.6" models were attractive, but they will barely leave the ground on an "E". So it would get expensive for frequent flights given that I would be in the market for "F" motors a lot.

Baby steps.... I'll likely get a 2.6" some day. The Cheetah is just a first step.

Hans.

PS: Thanks for the advice. You guys are very helpful

PPS: Nice photo!
I see what you mean on the different price of E motors compared to F’s. I just lost perspective on it because I have tons of F and G single use motors I will never fly again. Maybe I will take them to the next launch and give them away.🚀

Back