Aerotech Mirage ? What motor ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Recently picked up a A/T Mirage a friend wasnt gonna fly - went through everything and ran a few sims, but just wanted to hear from some that may have flown one , whats the largest 29mm you flew and how did it work out ??
At this point I will more than likely go with a CTI \H90 because I have the case and a vendor.
- but Im more than open to suggestions. gonna pop at the top on the factory chute with a JLCR .

looks like it weather cocks a bit , how long was the rod ? Any idea of altitude on the G40 ??
I really would like to hit it a little harder off the pad - unless someone thinks thats a poor idea for a long rocket .

I believe it was a six foot long 1/4" diameter launch rod.
A moment after the launch picture was taken, the Mirage was flying straight.

Mirage airborne.jpg

This is very similar in size to the Astrobee-D, which I used to fly on 3G H128 & H165 motors. If you use AT RMS-Plus motors, use masking tape in place of the plastic charge well cap. :eek: I used rail buttons and a 6' rail.

Thrust Curve is a great source for motors that will work and not work for a given rocket. Shows fps off rod or rail, velocity in flight, delay times, acceleration, and altitude for each motor.
Just need airframe diameter, mm diameter, mm length and weight.

Thrust Curve is a great source for motors that will work and not work for a given rocket. Shows fps off rod or rail, velocity in flight, delay times, acceleration, and altitude for each motor.
Just need airframe diameter, mm diameter, mm length and weight.

I have simmed it a bunch of times in OpenRocket , its just always nice to hear some REAL WORLD results as well .
I do believe either a single use G80 or a CTI H90 will be my choice- as long as the wind plays nice. Never flow one this long , but I cant imagine a breezy day being a good choice ?? lets hear it ???

Back