• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aerotech L2500 Super Thunder RMS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this from Chris' Rocketry for $361 a few months ago. I'm impulsive and it was my first 98mm so I opened and loaded it into a 98/5120 case. It has been stored indoors in a temp and humidity controlled safe and is in the same condition as when purchased, it's just opened. I don't have a use for it and now make my own 98mm grains so I'm looking to sell it. Would like $300 plus shipping on it, I think that's a very fair price. I do plan on attending BALLS and probably AIRFEST and can deliver there at no charge, otherwise I believe it is hazmat. I also have a AT K456 and a number of H, I, and J reloads that I'm looking to get rid of but selling them individually doesn't make sense due to hazmat. If you are taking the L2500 and paying the hazmat fee and have any interest in these let me know and I will provide details.

Thanks for the interest!

Last edited:
I bought this from Chris' Rocketry for $361 a few months ago. I'm impulsive and it was my first 98mm so I opened and loaded it into a 98/5120 case. It has been stored indoors in a temp and humidity controlled safe and is in the same condition as when purchased, it's just opened. I don't have a use for it and now make my own 98mm grains so I'm looking to sell it. Would like $300 plus shipping on it, I think that's a very fair price. I do plan on attending BALLS and probably AIRFEST and can deliver there at no charge, otherwise I believe it is hazmat. I also have a AT K456 and a number of H, I, and J reloads that I'm looking to get rid of but selling them individually doesn't make sense due to hazmat. If you are taking the L2500 and paying the hazmat fee and have any interest in these let me know and I will provide details.

Thanks for the interest!

If it's open, you can't ship it at all.

Awesome! Well that stinks. Appreciate the info though. I had no idea you needed a hazmat license, thought you just packed properly, declared and marked it, and paid the fee.
I open them for various reasons, I'm impulsive and I liked to play with them, I also like to measure the grains and nozzles to learn (I was new to ex and knew nothing but learned a bit that way), sometimes I pack them when I go to a launch and don't use them, and for some (not this one) I've taken parts for my ex propellant, or an igniter, etc. I probably have 50 opened RMS motors, mostly EFG bc I took the ignigter. I store them well so it's not a concern, and I obviously didn't plan on reselling them when I opened them. Anyway, this would be delivery to a launch only, no shipping. Also, I've gotten a lot of questions about what HIJK motors I have that I mentioned so I'm going to inventory and list them this week, but again it would be for delivery to AIRFEST or BALLS (or MDRA) and payment upon delivery (in case I don't make it for some reason). I'm flying my plane out and it's contingent on me getting my high performance complex endorsement first, but as of today it looks like I'll have it next week or the following :), so I expect to be there.

Awesome! Well that stinks. Appreciate the info though. I had no idea you needed a hazmat license, thought you just packed properly, declared and marked it, and paid the fee.
I open them for various reasons, I'm impulsive and I liked to play with them, I also like to measure the grains and nozzles to learn (I was new to ex and knew nothing but learned a bit that way), sometimes I pack them when I go to a launch and don't use them, and for some (not this one) I've taken parts for my ex propellant, or an igniter, etc. I probably have 50 opened RMS motors, mostly EFG bc I took the ignigter. I store them well so it's not a concern, and I obviously didn't plan on reselling them when I opened them. Anyway, this would be delivery to a launch only, no shipping. Also, I've gotten a lot of questions about what HIJK motors I have that I mentioned so I'm going to inventory and list them this week, but again it would be for delivery to AIRFEST or BALLS (or MDRA) and payment upon delivery (in case I don't make it for some reason). I'm flying my plane out and it's contingent on me getting my high performance complex endorsement first, but as of today it looks like I'll have it next week or the following :), so I expect to be there.

Shoots leave it loaded and I'll pick it up at BALLS maybe some of the others as well.

Planning for Sunday, I'm not in the market for 98mm stuff at the moment, but I'll take a look through the smaller stuff. Or send me a list and I'll let you know.

...I'm flying my plane out and it's contingent on me getting my high performance complex endorsement first, but as of today it looks like I'll have it next week or the following :), so I expect to be there.

Congrats on the upcoming endorsement, and I'm sure the G36 is a wonderful airplane. I hate to pile on, but as long as we're talking about Hazmat, I'm pretty sure that those motors aren't acceptable to carry in your GA airplane (or any other), either.

Mark

Here's what I currently have inventoried, there may be more. Unless it says loaded it was only opened to measure the nozzle (to replicate with RCS stuff while I was new and learning), it wasn't removed from the plastic and is still in the cardboard sleeve. If it says loaded then there is no packaging but it's as new as the others and complete. These were all purchased this spring so they are very fresh, there's no difference in it being opened other than a slightly lower price. The motor is listed followed by the quantity and notes if opened/loaded and then the retail price. I will be selling them for 15-25% off retail, depending on quantity purchased and opened or not, along with free delivery.

I also have a LOT (about $3k worth) or RCS grains in 29, 38 and 54mm and in blue, white and black, in case anyone is interested. The real benefit of buying the RCS stuff is I'll deliver it for free so you avoid the $51 shipping charge from RCS. I'm only looking to sell these in lots of 10 or so, too much of a hassle to sell them individually except at MDRA. I would only sell the 54s individually bc they're worth quite a bit more. Email me if you're interested in anything at [email protected], its way easier on me then PMing. I will be starting a separate thread for these in the coming days once I see if I have more. Anyone from MDRA would get preferential treatment on the sale since I cannot know for sure that I'll be at any given launch or if they will even happen.

K456 Dark Matter $113 SOLD
J500G 4, 1 opened 1 loaded $60
38/1320 Hardware $150 with J510W $90
L2500 Super Thunder $361
J420R 2 1 loaded $60
I200 3 $35
J350 2 $60
J270 $63
J270DMS opened $63
H268R $33

Last edited:
Thanks Mark! I take it you may be a pilot as well? I love meeting other pilot rocketeers and hearing about fun launches and airstrips. As always, I appreciate the tips and you looking out. The L2500 will be at the launches even if it has to be driven. The smaller ones only pending interest, and I don't expect much interest at BALLS for obvious reasons...

On a positive note I just bought an AT M1297 last night to do my L3 at AIRFEST and only paid $125 for it :)!!! It's well dated, about 10 years old, but I don't expect problems... right? Now I just need a case. I'll give someone an I200 if they let me borrow their 75/5120 or larger with a spacer system at AIRFEST. If I fail at AIRFEST I'm sure I'll see you at Midwest power for my L3, Mark. I should be at MWP regardless, I hear it's fun and I like to fly (from NJ).

Last edited:
This may be a good place to ask this question, I'm hoping Chris chimes in. Are super thunder grains always harder than average? It's 149 on my durometer. On the other side of the spectrum, the K456 is softer than average at 88 on my durometer. An average AT grain, such as the J500G I have loaded, comes in at 110. Is this normal for AT and why? I would think it's a matter of cure ratio not solids loading or content so idk why it varies so much. This was another reason I opened a few RMS loads, I wanted to check hardness to compare to my own and to learn from. I got more confusion than learning though.

Older white lighting may have oxidized a bit. Sand up the top core a bit the day of launch and it should start just fine.

Back