Aerotech K1103X with plugged forward closure no anchor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am just assembling an Aerotech K1103X motor, and the instructions do not deal with a plugged forward closure. Do I assemble it as per the instructions, treating the delay grain like a smoke grain, no drill out for time adjusting and obviously leave out the BP? If so, what about the forward delay spacer, will it fit, I am also inclined to grease the forward closure. One other thing I noticed is that the forward closures advertised for sale these days are standard and plugged but threaded? I was going to use my non-threaded, any reason why I shouldn't? I do have the plugged threaded as well, so it's no issue to just use it.

I am just assembling an Aerotech K1103X motor, and the instructions do not deal with a plugged forward closure. Do I assemble it as per the instructions, treating the delay grain like a smoke grain, no drill out for time adjusting and obviously leave out the BP? If so, what about the forward delay spacer, will it fit, I am also inclined to grease the forward closure. One other thing I noticed is that the forward closures advertised for sale these days are standard and plugged but threaded? I was going to use my non-threaded, any reason why I shouldn't? I do have the plugged threaded as well, so it's no issue to just use it.
Just build like normal, no drilling.you will still use the forward spacer in the same spot.

AFAIK there's never any assembly difference between a non-plugged closure and the equivalent plugged closure, except you can't put BP in a plugged closure since there's no place for it to go.

AFAIK there's never any assembly difference between a non-plugged closure and the equivalent plugged closure, except you can't put BP in a plugged closure since there's no place for it to go.

Not true for some AT 38mm plugged closures, they have a lip at the top that prevents the normal flat washer or delay O-ring from being used. But that's the only difference I've seen. I realize we're talking 54mm in the case of the K1103X.

Just flew a K1103X in a 54/1706 with plugged closure last weekend. What a great motor! Took my 5.5", 16.5lb rocket to 3536'. I thought it would be more of a lob but that motor pushed it with real authority. Yes, be sure to install the forward delay assembly as usual.

Last edited:
I've flown a K805G and K1100T with plugged, non threaded forward closures and built as normal, omitting BP.

Not true for some AT 38mm plugged closures, they have a lip at the top that prevents the normal flat washer or delay O-ring from being used.
Really? Which one? There are five 38mm forward closures on the current AT price list (floating, plugged, plugged/threaded, and endburn-style plugged/threaded) and of course the classic non-floating forward closure that no longer seems to be on the price list, and I would expect all of these to be assembly-compatible except the endburn style. Of course there have been a lot of variations in hardware over the years.

Just flew a K1103X in a 54/1706 with plugged closure last weekend. What a great motor! Took my 5.5", 16.5lb rocket to 3536'. I thought it would be more of a lob but that motor pushed it with real authority. Yes, be sure to install the forward delay assembly as usual.

Well, it lite without issue. Great motor, actually a really nice motor and a must launch again. It pushed my 3" Darkstar (13.4lbs) to 8,270' AGL..." with real authority"!

NYPOWER22_K1103.jpg

IIRC there are two types of plugged forward closures in 54mm. One is "half height" from a delay grain height perspective, the other is a "full height". Years and years ago we had a guy come from NSW to attempt his L2 at our annual big event. He soon realised his chosen reload delay was half height and yet he had a full height forward closure. He made up the difference by stacking Australian 20 cent pieces in the forward closure above the delay. It worked a treat.

IIRC there are two types of plugged forward closures in 54mm.
Yes, standard and extended. The extended is used for various long-burn motors like J90W, J135W, K185W, as called out in the instructions. K1103 uses standard.

Latest posts

Back