AeroTech Information Release 10/22/09

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garoq

Reaction score
AeroTech Information Release

10/22/09

AeroTech Unveils New E20W Model Rocket Motor at 2009 iHobby Expo

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is introducing a new 24mm 'E'-class single-use model rocket motor in new retail packaging at the 2009 iHobby Expo trade show in Chicago, IL held during October 22 through 25.

The new E20W is the same physical size as a black powder 'D' motor at 24 X 70mm, but is only slightly heavier. It generates 36 newton-seconds (8.1 pound-seconds) of total impulse over a burn time of 1.7 seconds and with a peak thrust of 35.6 newtons (8.0 pounds). The E20W produces over twice the power of the black powder D12 and 1.3 times the power of the black powder E9, and fits in all kits designed for the D12 and E9.

9516_162072953954_159005948954_2609907_7648436_n.jpg

The E20W features an all-new one piece molded phenolic casing with a built-in thrust ring, and ships with a FirstFire Jr.™ 2-lead igniter which can be used with most popular model rocket launch controllers. It includes the same molded threaded bulkhead as the previously-released F32T. Delay times will be offered initially in 4 (P/N 62004) and 7 (P/N 62007) second variations.

The E20W uses a high-percent solids, high-performance version of AeroTech's White Lightning™ Ammonium Perchlorate composite propellant in a "C-slot" grain configuration. During development testing, AeroTech measured a delivered propellant specific impulse (propellant propulsion efficiency rating) in the E20W as high as 233.4 seconds. Other specifications of the E20W include a loaded weight of 49 grams, propellant weight of 16.2 grams, fired weight of 27 grams, diameter of 0.938" (24mm) and a casing length of 2.75" (70mm).

The E20W will be sold in a 2-unit clamshell package with full-color instruction & motor data graphics at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

AeroTech is now accepting retailer orders for the E20W motor and anticipates National Association of Rocketry (NAR) certification to be granted in late October to early November. Shipments of E20W motors to dealers are expected to begin within 30 days.

A promotional flyer on the E20W is now available for download in PDF format from the "Catalogs, Flyers, Data Sheets & Thrust Curves" page of the AeroTech Resource Library on the AeroTech website at https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is a division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc., Cedar City, UT.

Sounds like a great fix for the "what do I put in my Saturn V to get a decent flight without shredding it?" question.

-Ken

I wonder if this motor is intended to replace the E15?
Good question, since the E15 would seem to have some advantages.

Unlike the E15, with the thrust ring it seems to me like the E20 won't easily fit in an Estes model intended for BP D and E motors. Seems like an odd choice. Or is there a notch in the ring not visible in the photos?

Also, the E15 is considerably cheaper.

Good question, since the E15 would seem to have some advantages.

Unlike the E15, with the thrust ring it seems to me like the E20 won't easily fit in an Estes model intended for BP D and E motors. Seems like an odd choice. Or is there a notch in the ring not visible in the photos?

Also, the E15 is considerably cheaper.

Answered in August:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=45113&postcount=1

E15 motors are not cheaper at retail stores. This product is specifically designed to be marketed to and sold in retail stores. "Retail stores" would include brick & mortar and web based.

E15 motors are indeed cheaper at the ValueRockets website. They cost more at other vendors: https://www.apogeerockets.com/aerotech_motors.asp

This product is specifically designed to be marketed to and sold in retail stores.
And so you'd think it would be more Estes-compatible, not less.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great motor for some of the flying I do (small fields and rockets too heavy for the E15, and I'm hoping the high Isp finds its way into HPR motors). But I'm not seeing it as a game-changer particularly.

And so you'd think it would be more Estes-compatible, not less.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great motor for some of the flying I do (small fields and rockets too heavy for the E15, and I'm hoping the high Isp finds its way into HPR motors). But I'm not seeing it as a game-changer particularly.

The E20W is fully compatible. It is intended for hobby shop sales, not just the forum-savvy crowd. As such it is indeed a "game changer".

I have one of these new molded cases and it does have 'notches' for motor hooks molded into it. :)

Can one of these engines be used in a sustainer stage for a 2-stage rocket whcih uses a D12-0 in the booster? Is there a plastic nozzle that would interfere with the ignition of the E20?

Can one of these engines be used in a sustainer stage for a 2-stage rocket whcih uses a D12-0 in the booster? Is there a plastic nozzle that would interfere with the ignition of the E20?

you cannot ignite a composite propellant motor directly wiht the booster "flaming bits" of a black powder motor. Composite motors must be ignited at the top of their slotted or cored grains and that is why they come with long igniters with a pyrogen tip that goes way inside to the top.

Info is out there on the web. hopefully someone will post some useful links for you to show pictures, etc.

As Fred said, you can't use a booster motor to ignite a composite motor. You could, however, use a timer to electrically ignite the E motor after the D motor burns out.

There are timers that are small and light enough to be carried in a D/E powered rocket. The trick is that you'd need a battery powerful enough to fire the igniter, but light enough to be lifted by the D motor.

I don't know what the current requirement is for the FirstFire Jr. igniter, but I suspect it is high. So, you might have to find a lower-current igniter to use - maybe one the Quest Q2G2s?

Some experimentation would need to be done to find the right battery and igniter to use. But, I suspect you could get a D12 to E20 (or, better yet, an E20 to E20) staged rocket to work.

-- Roger

Roger and Fred,
Thank you both. I am just making the jump to composite engines and I see now that the ignition is totally different.

Gary was working on the first fire jr 3" to make sure it was continuity safe with Estes controllers and would fire with all Estes controllers, so the current requirement should not be absurdly high. The current versions sold with VeluRockets motors are definitely continuity safe but would not fire instantly with Estes controllers - they took a couple of seconds.

So, even though they look like the Quest Q2G2, they are definitely different.

He'll post data when he is ready. he's a bit busy this weekend....(iHobby)..

As Fred said, you can't use a booster motor to ignite a composite motor. You could, however, use a timer to electrically ignite the E motor after the D motor burns out.

There are timers that are small and light enough to be carried in a D/E powered rocket. The trick is that you'd need a battery powerful enough to fire the igniter, but light enough to be lifted by the D motor.

I don't know what the current requirement is for the FirstFire Jr. igniter, but I suspect it is high. So, you might have to find a lower-current igniter to use - maybe one the Quest Q2G2s?

Some experimentation would need to be done to find the right battery and igniter to use. But, I suspect you could get a D12 to E20 (or, better yet, an E20 to E20) staged rocket to work.

-- Roger

I think this is a pretty cool motor. I like the new-style molded case with the thrust ring. I also like that it's got a bit more thrust kick than the E15 - I love White Lightning motors, and I can fly and E20 in my Nike-Apache but not and E15.

However, I'm a bit disappointed that it's a White Lightning motor. We already have 3 White lightning E motors available (E15, E16, E18). There's also 3 Blue Thunders (E23, E28, E30) and one Black Jack (E11). I'd rather see something different. Perhaps an FJ, or a Mojave Green, or best, a Redline. I would pay good money for a 24mm E22 Redline, whether SU or in the 24/40 case. Heck, it would be my favorite motor. I love Redlines, but I just can't justify the cost of F27s and G71s much on my limited budget.

Please Gary, bring us a Redline! :D

I think I once saw a post from Gary saying that AT had no plans of making any Mojave Green motors smaller than G size.

But I too would love to see some Redlines for the 24/40 and 24/60 motors.:D

These new E20W's seem interesting and at $19.99 for a two pack, I'll most likely try them out.;)

I'm with EGE; I have a much easier time buying 24mm E's than I do 29mm F's and G's (although I do like buying those too, whenever I can), so three cheers for the new AT E20! I keep adding more and more stuff to my fleet that will fly great on this motor! :wave:

But also add my name to the list requesting a 24mm Redline... Gary, we love your motors, your motor systems and your propellants, and we just keep coming up with more and more ways that we want to fly with them!

MarkII

Last edited:
It's gratifying to know that SOMEONE out there wants to provide composite motors to mid-power fliers! Thank you!

MarkII

The F27 R has a pretty short flame. The flame on an 24mm redline might be hardly visibile, kind of like smaller blue thunder motors.

I think its great. Now, I can sell a pack of composite E's to a customer that has only experienced black powder motors for a reasonable price. The supporting flyers that Gary includes with them are clear, concise and help customers and retailers alike to learn about composites.

These are only $1.40 more (at retail) than 24mm reloadable Es. At $35 (retail, again) for the reload case, it will take 25 flights to recoup the case cost. On fields with any chance of losing the rocket, it removes reloads as an option, and certainly makes them much less attractive overall.

At the same time, at valuerockets.com E18-4W reloads are 3 for 25.19, and single use are 3 for $18.90, which makes reloadable hardware even less attractive. Or am I (or my browser) just confused?

Sam

Back