Quantcast

Aerotech igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

David Schwantz

Reaction score
Got to fly last weekend. 4 flights in total, I used 11 igniters to get 4 fliights. From A103T's with that new white compound, G74-6W's that have the worst igniters I have everr seen. Frooom broken wires the justt no comound on ttthem right out of the package. K550W that had 3 bare spots in wires whiile it was still in that little cardboard tube. I cannot believe the horrible QC ffffor Aerotech igniters. What can be used that is better? Thanks.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
Nope, I hve the MJG ones for BP charges. He said, point blank will NOT light aerotechs. And my tablet has sticky keys. Comes from bouncinggg a million mmiles in the truck. But thanks.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi David,
I would suggest calling Chris Short at CSRocketry.com or Tim Lehr at Wildman Rocketry and ask what they have for igniters for those motors.
Good luck!
Steve

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these as spares. I used a "Tiny" lighter to replace a G74 lighter (yeah, one of mine came broken as well). It worked well, and Tim's lighters appear to be of good quality and well made.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
Yup, looked at Tim's and Chris's stuff. I did just order kits from Quick burst. Think I will also order from Tim.

GalantVR41062

Celebrate Recovery
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

They have a line of initiators that if you do not mind paying hazmat shipping on look like a good deal. The MBG caught my attention with this saying "This will sure set fire to a fence post in a hurricane."

Or talk with Gary at the next launch, I see 4 options on his website for different initiators for composite motors.

Screenshot_20200915-210940_Chrome.jpg

heada

Reaction score

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What are “A103Ts with the new white compound”? Anyone else having this problem? How old are the motors?

Pictures would be helpful. I am pretty sure they don’t leave our facility broken or with missing pyrogen. But we need more information.

FredA

Reaction score
I thought I read quantity of one - guess that's one pack - sorry

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
Those igniters (these Estes ones) are hit and miss, I get a fair number of failures. I've used QuickDip pyrogen to improve them, but I'd suggest only using a small amount. I've found that trying to add a big fat blob of it does not work as well as a small coating.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
Also, if you're trying to launch BP motors, the MJG ones work well. They have "mini" sizes now which should git in the smaller motors. I just ordered 48 for $41.90 shipped, so at under a dollar each it's a decent price.

At some point I'll look into the DIY kits that vendors offer for making your own.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
the A103t's were brand new. Gave several of the to Gary from Off we go rocketry. DDid not take any pic. I will pull some out and do so.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
I did order kitssss from Quickburst and the dip. Also placed an order with Tim for some of his. I aaalso thought that frank's were 30 bucks each.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
and as far as 3 bucks each, agreed, not bad. But should not have to buy igniters to replace faulty ones.

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had a good number of problems with the Q-Jet motor lighters.

David Schwantz

Reaction score
I just got a mess of those on Saturday wwwith the A10-3T motors. What problems did you have and can I dddo anythong to make them better? thanks.