Aerotech HV Arcas Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I picked up an older Aerotech HV Arcas kit secondhand from someone getting out of the hobby. I am planning on replacing the large engine hook with an Aerotech retainer, but other than that, any build advice? I have to say I was surprised that the instructions recommend medium CA as the adhesive throughout; I wouldn't have thought that was strong enough. I was thinking a judicious use of epoxy would help the build.

Rocket will be flown on Fs and Gs primarily; search brought up examples flown on Hs, so I suppose that's a possibility. No dual deploy, use a chute release on high flights.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
I picked up an older Aerotech HV Arcas kit secondhand from someone getting out of the hobby. I am planning on replacing the large engine hook with an Aerotech retainer, but other than that, any build advice? I have to say I was surprised that the instructions recommend medium CA as the adhesive throughout; I wouldn't have thought that was strong enough. I was thinking a judicious use of epoxy would help the build.

Rocket will be flown on Fs and Gs primarily; search brought up examples flown on Hs, so I suppose that's a possibility. No dual deploy, use a chute release on high flights.
you dont need epoxy. Everything literally snaps together. You can get away with CA

Reactions: gna

Mugs914

"Use enough dynamite there Butch?"
Reaction score
I've been flying mine for over twenty years. It was my second mid power rocket and It's still one of my favorites to fly!

Mine is completely stock and built per the directions. If I built it today the only things I would change would be to use a kevlar or nylon shock cord, leave out the brillo pad baffle thing and use rail guides in place of the square lugs. Other than that, build as per the instructions. Like AB said, the recommended medium CA is perfectly good; it snaps together so well that it would probably be fine with no glue at all.

The other thing you need to do is get an Aerotech 29/40-120 hobby hardware set if you don't already have one. Then grab a few G-64W-7 reloads and go to town!

The HV Arcas LOVES that motor!:cool:

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was thinking Kevlar shock cord and 1010 rail buttons. I thought the baffle/brillo pad thing looked like a good idea. I can leave it out if it doesn't work.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
I've been flying mine for over twenty years. It was my second mid power rocket and It's still one of my favorites to fly!

Mine is completely stock and built per the directions. If I built it today the only things I would change would be to use a kevlar or nylon shock cord, leave out the brillo pad baffle thing and use rail guides in place of the square lugs. Other than that, build as per the instructions. Like AB said, the recommended medium CA is perfectly good; it snaps together so well that it would probably be fine with no glue at all.

The other thing you need to do is get an Aerotech 29/40-120 hobby hardware set if you don't already have one. Then grab a few G-64W-7 reloads and go to town!

The HV Arcas LOVES that motor!:cool:
What I like about their kits now is they come with conformal rail guides and screw on retainers which is a nice improvement. I always laugh that the 1.9 kits well most of them come with that laughable 16" chute. I seriously doubt that wouldd help at all. I mean an 18" or 22" would work best especially if launching in the desert. Just saying

Mugs914

"Use enough dynamite there Butch?"
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was thinking Kevlar shock cord and 1010 rail buttons. I thought the baffle/brillo pad thing looked like a good idea. I can leave it out if it doesn't work.
To be honest, I don't now if it works alone or not because I always fly it with a couple of handfuls of barf anyway. (I have trust issues when it comes to ejection baffles... :rolleyes: )

Others on the forum have said that the brillo-baffle can collect soot and maybe even rust over time and cause ejection issues, not to mention that it gets in the way when you want to fly longer motors!🤪

AB hit on the mod I forgot to mention and that is a screw type motor retainer. Mine has an Areopack (Only game in town back then), but the one Aerotech is making these days is VERY nice! I wish they came in larger sizes.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't now if it works alone or not because I always fly it with a couple of handfuls of barf anyway. (I have trust issues when it comes to ejection baffles... :rolleyes: )

Others on the forum have said that the brillo-baffle can collect soot and maybe even rust over time and cause ejection issues, not to mention that it gets in the way when you want to fly longer motors!🤪

AB hit on the mod I forgot to mention and that is a screw type motor retainer. Mine has an Areopack (Only game in town back then), but the one Aerotech is making these days is VERY nice! I wish they came in larger sizes.
Actually the baffle does work well the brillo pad. I totally understand your trust issues. Better safe than sorry and end up with a burnt up chute

Theory

Reaction score
LOVE the HV Arcas. Built one earlier this year, and profiled the build in the HP section titled "Put the HV in HV Arcas"

I added a little to mine as I want to fly her on larger 29mm H and I motors.

If staying with F and G power, build it stock, though I also recommend leaving you the cooling mesh and using a nomex blanket.

have fun!

AfterBurners

Reaction score
Generally speaking of all AT kits for the money and time spent to build one they offer the best value. They are great kits for anyone wanting to get into MPR with nominal investment. I mean you really don't need much in the way of tools and supplies to build one. Sand paper some paint and CA and you have just about all you need. Their fin lock dsign is awesome and guarantees the fins get on straight. Everything snaps into place. They also fly great.

Five

Reaction score
One of my favorite AeroTech kits