AeroTech G80 DMS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaVee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted some AT G80-7s but they were out of stock at the vendor I was ordering from. So without thinking I decided to get a couple of the G80 14 second delay DMS motors... thinking I could just monkey with the delay and get about what I wanted. But I neglected to get the DMS delay drill. Now I'd rather not get one dang item (and I have all of the motors I'm going to buy for the year) and incur a shipping charge nearly equal to the cost of the delay drilling tool. I already have the standard RMS drill but that won't cut it in this use case, so my question is: has anyone successfully used a standard 1/4 inch drill, say with an attachable stop collar to do the drilling? Keep in mind I said "successful" meaning the delay was close to what you wanted and so on!

Thanks in advance...

Yes. Mark a drill bit with a piece of masking tape that is 1/32 of an inch up for each second you want to remove. Maybe use the next step drill bit down from a quarter inches of the masking tape will still fit in the hole

We use to use a Tire Tread Depth Gauge and drill bit (twisted by hand) to achieve the desired delay. Use 1/32" per second of delay time removal like Eric suggested and iterate in small increments. I still know some guys doing this :).

Seems simple enough... kind of embarrassed that I didn't think it up on my own... of course this is the first time I'm getting the dms motors and I don't have them in hand yet so I at least have a lame excuse!

Back