Aerotech G40-13

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
oop since 1994...

i know old bp motors work fine, even ones from the 60s have tested within design parameters these days, how about old AP motors? intuitively, i think the composite propellant should be more stable than the bp. I'll pull out the Merck and check to see if there's any interesting info...

anyway, assuming the motor's safe...

the delay seems awfully long.
anyone know of any model(s) that used these 13-second delay powerplants?

The only thing I could think of to put something with that long of a delay in would be a Cheetah, and even then I think it would be late. As for the age, I'm not sure how it will be affected. The other thing though - it may no longer be certified, which would mean you can't launch it at an NAR/TRA sanctioned launch.

Loopy

Maximum liftoff weight for a G40-13 would be 8 ounces, maybe 12 ounces on a windless day. Something like a Cheetah or a LOC Aura would be a good vehicle for it, or that Quest Nike Smoke you converted for 29mm motors.

Age is rarely a factor for AP motors as long as it wasn't stored in extreme conditions.

Burned one about a year ago - worked fine.

I regularly used these in minimum diameter scratch built rockets. They reach about 6000 feet. A Maniac - stock except for no motor mount - survives about 1/2 the time on G40's. The 13 is best for this rocket.

You're going to want a hot igniter in an old motor such as this one. It is very likely that the propellant oxidized a bit over time and as such, it will make it hard to ignite. This is easily remedied on RMS motor since you can just sand the slot a couple of times with no problems, but on an SU motor, bring a couple of extra igniters along with you to the pads, ok?

Mmmm....G40.....droool! :D

Jason

Vaisala makes a rocketsonde for the US Navy that uses an ATG80-13.

Vaisala RK91 Low Altitude Rocketsonde

The Vaisala RK91 Low Altitude Rocketsonde, the heart of the Vaisala RFM Refractive Index Measurement System, is used to gather the atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity (PTU) data needed to calculate refractive index -- essential for understanding the behavior of radar and microwave communication signals. On the basis of the refractive index information, radar and communication operators can judge whether their systems are performing as necessary.

The RK91 provides a high-resolution pressure, temperature and relative humidity (PTU) measurement profile of the boundary layer from an altitude of approximately 1 km right down to sea level. Readied for launch in less than 10 minutes, it reaches apogee in less than 20 seconds from launch, and descends by parachute performing PTU measurements at approximately one-second intervals.

https://www.vaisala.com/page.asp?Section=24969

https://www.vaisala.com/DynaGen_Attachments/Att18669/RK91_Rocketsonde.pdf

Bob Krech

i think i'll definitely try it once i get a get a feel for the model
thanks for the replies!

Back