Aerotech E20....12v launcher needed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
I was told in an earlier thread here that Aerotech engines didn't need a 12v launcher for them. This weekend I picked up a pack of E20-4W at a hobby shop:

larot5004.jpg

The included instructions state that the FirstFire Jr. ignitors require
A launch controller power supply that is capable of delivering 12 volts at a minimum of 3 amps to the igniter. A fully charged car battery or 12 volt gel-cell is recommended.

So does this mean that the Estes E Launch controller won't work for them?
2230_1_1.jpg
https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/accessories/launch-systems/2230-e-launch-controller

Thanks

Bad information. You need a 12 volt launcher for First Fire Jr. igniters.

Bob

Here's an article with a ton of information that may help.

...I will admit my method is somewhat caveman: throw 40 amps at 12 volts into the igniter and wallow in the overkill.

All the best, James

Thanks guys. One other question then.....can you light an AeroTech E20 with an Estes or Quest igniter?

Thanks guys. One other question then.....can you light an AeroTech E20 with an Estes or Quest igniter?
No. There isn't enough pyrogen - AP motors light slower than BP, and require an igniter that burns longer. Use the included igniter, a CopperHead, or a First Fire Jr. The igniters first included in E20 packs were a version of the Quest Q2G2, with added pyrogen. I don't know what they're including now, IIRC, these modified Q2G2 (blue wire, as in your photo), often didn't burn long enough for White Lightning propellant as in the E20.

Ok, thanks. Looks like I have to buy my new launcher sooner than I thought.

Ok, thanks. Looks like I have to buy my new launcher sooner than I thought.

Jello,

It's super easy to convert an Estes controller into a 12V controller with lots of amps, using a car jump pack as a power source. In the electronics section you will find:

This Thread

I gave instructions there. It fires any igniter (or clusters of 'em), and has the benefit of not pre-firing Quest Q2G2 igniters.

Have a look and see if it makes sense.

Marc
Marc

I was told in an earlier thread here that Aerotech engines didn't need a 12v launcher for them.
The igniters packaged with E20s are dipped Q2G2s and do not need 12V. I have flown them often, airstarted, on 3V lipos.

Bad information. You need a 12 volt launcher for First Fire Jr. igniters.
Have you even seen the E20 igniters? They are not standard Firstfire Jrs and should work fine on lower voltages.

I have launched Aerotech blue thunder motors with Quest Q2G2 igniters haven't tried them on white lightning

Dr.Bob is incorrect.

These motors come with First Fire Jr. 3" igniters, which are *NOT* "First Fire Jr." igniters.

They are designed to be used on estes controllers since the motors are sold in mass marketing packaging and intended to be used as a simple replacement for Estes D12 motors in existing rockets with existing ground support equipment - namely the Estes E controller.

The Estes E controller is only 6 volts, but it delivers more amps than the standard controller because it has MUCH larger diameter wire, even with the longer wire length.

Dr.Bob is incorrect.

These motors come with First Fire Jr. 3" igniters, which are *NOT* "First Fire Jr." igniters.

They are designed to be used on estes controllers since the motors are sold in mass marketing packaging and intended to be used as a simple replacement for Estes D12 motors in existing rockets with existing ground support equipment - namely the Estes E controller.

The Estes E controller is only 6 volts, but it delivers more amps than the standard controller because it has MUCH larger diameter wire, even with the longer wire length.

So Fred, is this going to be the new airstart igniter of choice since should in theory be able to light with a small 7.4v Li-Ion battery? Has anyone tried it?

Check those igniters before you use them - a young man had two of them yesterday (assuming from the same pack) that were defective. Checked with a meter, no continuity. Finally got his motor lit with a copperhead.:wink:

I would only use them on the ground.

They are not a super premium triple-checked high-end igniter. They are a mass merchandised igniter. Similar to the Quest Q2G2, but someone told me they are not the same. They do seem to have different pyrogen tips (my Q2G2 tips are larger than the FFJr3" tips). And early on, Aerotech was studying how well they were working on 6V AA systems vs. reports that the tips popped without a flame on more powerful systems (12V car battery, etc.).

I've had good luck with them and I assume any adjustments to pyrogen were made many, many months ago since they have been sold for several years now and the 'study' was also a long time ago - not long after they hit the market.

Try them, test them, see what you think.

So Fred, is this going to be the new airstart igniter of choice since should in theory be able to light with a small 7.4v Li-Ion battery? Has anyone tried it?

Back