Aerotech Delay Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcdlr

Reaction score
I know you can 'drill' out a delay element to shorten the delay time but can you just substitue other delay elements of appropriate lengths?

In my case I'm planning on using a J420R - according to RockSim a 12 second delay would be near ideal for my rocket. Here are the delays listed for a J420R:
S 0.406" RDK-09
M 0.531" RDK-17
L 0.656" RDK-14

A RDK-12 delay element is 0.594" long - which just "happens" to be half way in between these two.

Will this work?
Can you just find a different delay of the appropriate length this way (given the delay material and diameter / tube material are appropriate)?

Sorry for the post. I tried searching but didn't come up with anything definitive and I've poured over the Aerotech documentation and couldn't come up with anything.
Must be rocket science huh?? :D

If you are familar with the CTI adjustable Delay system or have a Pro38 delay adjustment tool, you can buy an aerotech adaptor for it and set the delay that you desire.

Whats Up Hobbies has both of them available

It would probably work if the burn rate of the 2 delays was the same. I have no info on that. Drilling the delays does work and I have done it many times.

Al

Originally posted by bcdlr
I know you can 'drill' out a delay element to shorten the delay time but can you just substitue other delay elements of appropriate lengths?

In my case I'm planning on using a J420R - according to RockSim a 12 second delay would be near ideal for my rocket. Here are the delays listed for a J420R:
S 0.406" RDK-09
M 0.531" RDK-17
L 0.656" RDK-14

A RDK-12 delay element is 0.594" long - which just "happens" to be half way in between these two.

Will this work?

According a nifty table I found online, that's the right RDK for a 12 second delay on a J420R. So go for it!

Can't remember where I found this. I think it's been posted on TRF before, but this is a great table for cross-referencing & changing RDK delays to the appropriate timing for AT RMS

Mark, thanks that's great!

Guess what though? I was told to try WinRoc to verify my altitudes, etc.
So, I did. There is a heck of a difference between WinRoc and RockSim 5.x

So, I tried wRASP. It came out with very similar results to WinRoc. Very similar results.

Nonetheless this is handy information and I will definitely hang on to this.

Back to work to figure out what this is really going to do!

In my experience, Wrasp tends to be closer to the truth in delay times. YMMV.

Back