Aerotech D2.3 18mm reloads: check yours for a small production glitch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you happen to have some D2.3 18mm reloads in your motor stash, I suggest a quick inspect of the propellant grains for a possible glitch.

While at NARAM, I noticed that my 12 pack of D2.3 purchased in April or May of this year had a production glitch. All 12 of the propellant grains had the ignition slot at the wrong end of the grain, flush to the end of the cardboard liner and not at the other end that forms a small gap to create part of the combustion chamber. These tiny reload grains come already in the outer cardboard liner.

Would not be an issue if it were possible to slide the propellant inside the liner into the correct location, but it fits far too tight to move. I damaged one trying to do that.

Luckily I was able to borrow a proper D2.3 at NARAM and was able to fly my new 18mm Black Horse spaceplane model. Love this little load in my 5.5 oz model and plan to build one of two other 18mm RC RGs to take advantage of it.

Someone else at NARAM mentioned that they had a batch of incorrectly formed D2.3s like this and that Aerotech promptly replaced them. I finally had a chance to to write AT last week and tell them about my problem. I am sure AT will fix this quickly with their normal excellent product support.

Just wanted to mention this so the few of us that use this load and read this forum would have a chance to check their stock and not get caught unable to fly at a launch.

Last edited:
Swapped another email with AT and they asked if it would be OK to send out the replacement D2.3 reloads right after they get back from BALLS.....completely works for me.

Got my 12 replacement D2.3 reloads in the mail today. Thanks, Aerotech, for your excellent customer service and product support, as always.

More flights coming soon on my semi scale RC RG Black Horse spaceplane. Also working on another RCRG for this reload.

Last edited:
Back